Monarca Family - Sessa Aurunca

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mraadams

Monarca Family - Sessa Aurunca

Post by mraadams »

I'm trying to find details on the ancestry and history of the MONARCA family of Sessa Aurunca (CE). I know they have some noble or at least gentry background. My ancestor is Donna Isabella Monarca (1773-1825), daughter of Don Gennaro Monarca and Donna Maria Grazia Pellegrini and wife of Maggiore Don Francesco Carrascon.

There is a book out there called Sessa Aurunca dal A al Z which is supposed to mention details about the Monarca's but I can't find a copy.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark Adams
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Monarca Family - Sessa Aurunca

Post by Italysearcher »

The town hall probably know where to get a copy.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

The book is called
Sessa Aurunca dalla A alla Z, written by Gennaro Monarca, published by PUBBLISCOOP EDIZIONI, Sessa Aurunca, 1994
ISBN 88-86448-02-3

I cannot find an address for Pubbliscoop Edizioni so, as already pointed out by Italysearcher, you may ask the Town Hall in Sessa Aurunca.

The address is:
Comune di Sessa Aurunca
Via XXI Luglio
81037 Sessa Aurunca CE
Italy
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Send an e-mail to an Antiquarian Book dealer in Bologna. The name is Arnaldo Forni Editore, SRL. The e-mail address is info@fornieditore.com and ask them about the book in the event you need information. =Peter=
~Peter~
alexisnagel

Post by alexisnagel »

Hello! I'm looking for my granmother's dad, his name was Giovanni Monarca... from Sessa Aurunca. I'm living in Buenos Aires (ARGENTINA). My e-mail is alexisnagel@hotmail.com . Cheers.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

If you go to www.paginebianche.it and put in MONARCA inthe first line and beneath put in SESSA AURUNCA and thenclick CERCA you will find two persons surname MONARCA inthe telephone directory. Theyt maybe related and if you wish you can send them a form letter in Italian as a potential relative.

Go to www.initaly.com/gene/mem/letter1.htm for a copy of a letter you should send to the two persons possibly relatives of yours inSessa Aurunca =Peter=
~Peter~
mraadams

Post by mraadams »

Hi,

There is only one Monarca family in Sessa Aurunca, so I'm sure it's the same one, however, there are several different branches I believe. I have tried writing to the Monarca's in Sessa, but they have never responded.

I know some Monarca's came to the United States. There was a Giovanni Monarca who was born in Sessa in 1882 and came to the USA in 1906 through Ellis Island. Could this be your ancestor?

Sessa Aurunca's civil records from 1809-1929 were completely filmed by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Saints (Mormons). If you have a Mormon Family History Center in Buenos Aires you could order the films there and look up your great-grandfather's birth certificate, etc.

Hope this helps.

Mark

alexisnagel wrote:Hello! I'm looking for my granmother's dad, his name was Giovanni Monarca... from Sessa Aurunca. I'm living in Buenos Aires (ARGENTINA). My e-mail is alexisnagel@hotmail.com . Cheers.
JessMonarca

Post by JessMonarca »

Hi Mark,

My Aunt found this website and we know about the Monarca's from Sessa.

We are from Boston, Massachusetts, we've been to Sessa many times and we keep in contact with them. My Great Grandfather is Giovanni Monarca.

We have the book Sessa Aurunca A dal Z and also have a family tree.

If you can send me an email on this site we can talk more!

Hope to hear from you,
Thanks!
Jess and Anne

mraadams wrote:I'm trying to find details on the ancestry and history of the MONARCA family of Sessa Aurunca (CE). I know they have some noble or at least gentry background. My ancestor is Donna Isabella Monarca (1773-1825), daughter of Don Gennaro Monarca and Donna Maria Grazia Pellegrini and wife of Maggiore Don Francesco Carrascon.

There is a book out there called Sessa Aurunca dal A al Z which is supposed to mention details about the Monarca's but I can't find a copy.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark Adams
mraadams

Post by mraadams »

Hi Jess and Anne,

Thanks for your note! I almost gave up on trying to find out more details about the Monarca's. I sent some letters in Italian to some of the Monarca's there, but I received no reply.

Like I said in my post, the Monarca family is a bit far back on my family tree but is an important link to my Carascon ancestors. How far back can you trace your family? Donna Isabella Monarca (1773-1825), my ancestor, had a brother named Don Domenico Monarca (b. 8/20/1776). They are the children of Don Gennaro Monarca (the son of Don Domenico Monarca and Donna Maria Scalfati). Donna Isabella's husband, Don Francesco Carrascon, was a high ranking army officer and therefore the family moved around alot. However, three of their children were still born in Sessa and I think they returned there after Francesco died. For me it's a mystery what happened to them because my ancestor moved north to Sulmona in Abruzzo.

I read that there is a "Palazzo Monarca" in Sessa. Have you visited it? Is there a stemma (family coat-of-arms) on the palace? Is there a family altar or chapel anywhere in Sessa?

I really look forward to hearing from you. Also, can you tell me what the Sessa A to Z book says about the Monarca's?

Thanks so much for your help!

Mark
ficoping

Post by ficoping »

[quote="JessMonarca"]Hi Mark,

My Aunt found this website and we know about the Monarca's from Sessa.

We are from Boston, Massachusetts, we've been to Sessa many times and we keep in contact with them. My Great Grandfather is Giovanni Monarca.

We have the book Sessa Aurunca A dal Z and also have a family tree.

If you can send me an email on this site we can talk more!

Hope to hear from you,
Thanks!
Jess and Anne

Hallo!
Monarca Family is from Sessa Aurunca like you said and they were noble since 1535, belonging to the most reworded Nobles Seggio of Sessa.
They had various public responsability during the centuries in Sessa and certainly they had money and good reputation.
However Gaetano Monarca in 1799 took active part to the so called "Repubblica Partenopea", one repubblic supported by France against the Kingdom of Federico II in Naples, which was forced to leave the power. The Republic had a live of only 6 months and then Federico II was restored, also with the support of UK. It might be that Gaetano and his family was forced at that time to leave Sessa: there were thousand and thousand of republicans killed or exiled by the Tribunals. I suppose that this fact originated the family decline, as an example also my ancestor Ferdinando, son of Antonio (brother of your ancestor Gennaro)was forced to leave Sessa going to Catanzaro in Calabria (south Italy).
my e-mail is ficoping@gmail.com is you need more info

P.S. Also Scalfati Anna Maria was of a noble family having a member of the "Gran Corte della Vicaria" in Naples Kingdom
dvlmusic

Post by dvlmusic »

Replying to this very old thread.

My family is from Sessa Aurunca, and I was just there with my wife and kids about 3 weeks ago.

I'd love a chance to dig through the Sessa Aurunca A dal Z book for my family (Lioniello). Do you know where I could get a copy?