Corletto

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Blanchee

Re: Corletto

Post by Blanchee »

Yes I would find it interesting to go to your site and also please a translation in English. I don't speak, or know any Italian!! Shamelss.
And, yes I knew that there were a couple of placenames in Italy with 'Corletto'. I found this on the internet.
clsev

Post by clsev »

Blanchee wrote:Yes I would find it interesting to go to your site and also please a translation in English. I don't speak, or know any Italian!! Shamelss.
And, yes I knew that there were a couple of placenames in Italy with 'Corletto'. I found this on the internet.
Here is the translation of the few lines concerning the Corletto family:

Parents of Clotilde

Luigi Simioni ....

Corletto Licinia Gaetana Orsola Maria (of Domenico and Clotilde Càimi).
Born on september 23, 1864 in Padova, died on February 12 1942 in Rimini.
Attended a Classical School (Liceo) for girls belonging to good families in Padova (Padua)
Maternal grandparents of Clotilde

Domenico Corletto and Clotilde Càimi
Domenico Corletto was born in Padova on november 9 1833 from Antonio Corletto and Colomba Magarotto (she was related to the counts Da Ponte and the counts Bòrsari Dalla Corte Brà). Married with Clotilde Càimi on november 15 1863. This Domenico had about ten brothers and sisters. One of these, Rosa Elisabetta, born in Padova on december 2 1840, married Antonio Barbirolli; they moved first to France and later to England and among their descent there was Sir John Barbirolli N.H. (it means Nobil Homo i.e. venetian noble), renowned conductor. Here are the ancestors:
Antonio Corletto was born in Padova on july 8 1809 from Domenico Corletto and Elisabetta Veronese (daughter of Giuseppe and Rosa Trebaldi). On june 14 1829 married Colomba Magarotto born in Padova on october 21 1816 from Gaetano and Francesca Donado.
In his turn this Domenico Corletto was born in Castelfranco on february 17 1781 from Lorenzo Corletto and Bernardina Zanella and then moved to Padova during 1806 having married on october 10 1805 the before mentioned Elisabetta Veronese daughter of Giuseppe and Rosa Trebaldi born in Padova on december 2 1783 and dead there on march 10 1866

Maternal uncle of Clotilde:
Antonio Corletto
I only know that he was a physician and was parish doctor in Villa Bartolomea (Verona).
----------------------------------------
Sorry for my english...
Browsing in the Internet I had the impression that Corlett is an Anglo-Saxon name more than a french name.
Good luck, if I can help just let me know
Blanchee

Post by Blanchee »

Do not apologise for your English, it is excellent.
I checked out your site. I don't know any Italian, but it looks very impressive.
I think now that my only option is to check things out from Italy , but how would I go about this? No-one in the family has any idea when my great grandfather came to Scotland (more than likely first via England), because the earliest info I can find out is from his first marriage in 1892 in Scotland. I can't find anything about him on the 1881 and 1891 census in both Scotland and England!!
clsev

Post by clsev »

I believe that the only possibilities is to go throut the parish registers or the registers of births and so on of the municipality. The region Veneto became part of the Kingdom of Italy on 1866 so they should have all the data of the priod of your interest. I cannot do it myself because I live in Milan that is a little faraway from Castelfranco.

Another possibility is to search the notary's instruments of the place where your ancestor lived. They generally report at least the date and place of birth.

One way of seeing where at present live some Corletto is searching in this site:
http://www.gens.labo.net/
Just type Corletto. You will find them in the area of Veneto and Lombardia, but this last are probably immigrated from Veneto.

In the site http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp (Mormons) I found a Corletto born near Palermo (Sicily) but I believe it is something exceptional because the name Corletto is tipically northern.

May be a Corlett came to Itlay during the Napoleonic period and then changed the name to Corletto?

Good luck
Blanchee

Post by Blanchee »

Thank you again for your information. I don't see me making a trip to Italy in the near future so maybe it's time for me to think about using a company in Scotland who can do all the searches for me and prepare my Family Tree.
Thanks again for your help.

And, I will check out the sites you mentioned.
clsev

Post by clsev »

well... good luck with your reseaches and, if you agree, let me know their result
Bye!
f5JON

Post by f5JON »

clsev wrote:
Blanchee wrote:Thanks for your info. Is Corletto an Italian name? Some of the family say that they heard that the name was originally Corlett (French) and that at some time ancestors moved to Italy and added the 'o'. Personally I don't think so, but maybe I'm wrong.
I have never heard from my relatives that the family Corletto was of french origin but one never knows...
I have posted all the informations I have on this subject in my genealogical tree: http://www.geocities.com/clsev/Marino-R ... .htm#sposa
You will have to browse a litte in this page... furthermore it's written in italian.
Il you think it could be interesting I can send you a translation.
Have you tried to look for both "Corletto" and "Corlett" with Google? You will find some places with that name in Italy.
Best regards
CORLETTO SURNAME HAS NO FRENCH ORIGIN AND HAS NEVER EVER BEEN ALTERED REGARDS JOHN CORLETTO GLASGOW SCOTLAND
waltershrek

Post by waltershrek »

Does anyone have any information about Corlettos who may have migrated to Central America? There's an old family story about a Corletto clothing merchant who came to El Salvador. His decendants still remain in this tiny country and some have migrated to the U.S., always puzzled about the unusual double consonant spelling in their last name, which almost never occurs in Spanish orthography. Please circulate. Any info. would be greatly appreciated.