Il Progresso italo-americano

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
EricRJones

Il Progresso italo-americano

Post by EricRJones »

The Il Progresso italo-americano was an Italian-language daily newspaper originating out of New York (up until 1988, although I'm primarily interested in it from first half of the twentieth century). Has anyone ever used it for research? Did it carry obituaries?

Thanks,
Eric
Felitti-Trimarco
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Il Progresso italo-americano

Post by Felitti-Trimarco »

Hello,

I took am interested in more information on il progresso in NYC at the turn of the century. Are there any easy ways to search this archive online? Is it only on microfilm? My understanding is that this was a MAJOR italian newspaper back in its heyday. I feel it's a untapped resource as well in terms of my Italian NYC relatives living in the Harlem around 1900 - 1950. I'm surprised not to hear more discussion about this paper. Anyone out there have any information on it? Anyone have success in searching it for information? Is there a complete archive of all of the papers anywhere? Another problem I'll have in searching it is that I don't speak Italian.

- Felitti-Trimarco
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

This may help in locating libraries where you can research in person, but I was not able to locate anything online.....

Library

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
FurioLazzari

Post by FurioLazzari »

I also can´t find it online but I would love to read some of the stories my Great-grandfather wrote. He was a journalist working for il Progresso.Italo-Americano n 1919.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83030300/

Here's a link to the Library of Congress concerning this newspaper.