1958 SHIP RECORDS

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
MarieJosephine
Rookie
Rookie

1958 SHIP RECORDS

Post by MarieJosephine »

This site has been so helpful in much of my research, I thought I would try to find my own records.
My father came into this country in 1958 by boat. His name was Giuseppe Sciallis. At that time I don't believe he came though Ellis Island. Also my mother (Elisabetta Conidi Sciallis, came on Dec 13, 1958 with myself Maria, my brother Domenic and my brother Pasquale on the ship: Giulio Cesere into NYC. Is there any documentation that might be on file of our immigration to the US?
Cetta
Rookie
Rookie

Re: 1958 SHIP RECORDS

Post by Cetta »

Hi MJ,

I'm sorry I don't have the answer to your question, but the one thing I do know is that Ellis Island closed in 1954 as an immigration point, so it definitely wasn't there.

I'm sure somebody else here will know the answer.

Good luck,
Cetta
MarieJosephine
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MarieJosephine »

Thank you. I have found pictures of the Ship Giulio Cesere and it's history, so that has been helpful since I was only 2 years old during my voyage.
Romano1970
Master
Master

Post by Romano1970 »

You said he did not come through Ellis, did he still come through New York or was it another port of arrival?
Michael Romano

Chi va piano va sano e va lontano

Those who go slowly, go safely and go far

Looking for family history in Piazza Armerina, Aidone, and Musomelli Sicily.
Names researching: Romano, Nigrelli, Ristagno, Piazza Maida Triolo.
MarieJosephine
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MarieJosephine »

He came through New York, and so did my mother on Dec 13, 1958 along with my brothers and myself.
Negev

Post by Negev »

My Grandfather's name was Tommaso Conidi. He was born in Cortale to Francesco Conidi and Angela Scarcella. He came through Ellis Island in both 1902 and 1905. He was listed as married. I also found some photographic postcards from Elisabetta Faga daughter of Marianna. Do any of these surnames sound familiar? He was sending them money, so I think he left a family behind in Cortale. Diane
MarieJosephine
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MarieJosephine »

I have an Uncle named Francesco Conidi but he is in his 80's who lives in Italy. I will ask my mother if she knows of any other Conidi from Cortale. I know Cortale is near Maida in Italy and that is where I am from.
Negev

Post by Negev »

Grandfather Tommaso Conidi born 1878 in Cortale; Francesco Conidi born either 1837 or 1843, there are two. One is Antonio Fransesco 1837 and the other is Francesco 1843. Francesco Conidi and Angela Scarcella are listed on Grandfather's Birth Certificate 1878 Cortale. Yes near Maida. Angela Scarcella is the mystery right now. Can't seem to find anything except name on BC. D
jojo

Post by jojo »

I have come across Tommaso Conidi (and the related surname Scarcella) in researching my own family, particularly in Ellis Island records. My great-great-grandfather, Pietro Conidi (born about 1877), the son of Domenico Conidi and Maria Antonia Pirritano (born about 1856), was married to Caterina Trino (born btw. 1884 and 1887) in Jacurso or Cortale, where my great-grandmother, Teresa Conidi, was born in about 1903 or 1904. Teresa travelled through Ellis Island in 1907 with her sister, Maria (born about 1905), her mother Caterina and her grandmother, Anna Boccafurno (born about 1856, mother to Caterina). I mention these names because the family all came from Jacurso and Cortale, and on Pietro's multiple trips though Ellis Island (in 1900, 1910 and 1920), both towns are indicated as the residences of relatives in Italy or as Pietro's last residence. Pietro's contacts and final destinations in the US included Utica, New York; New Jersey; and Philadelphia. He and his immediate family lived in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, eventually moving to Southern California by 1920.

Please feel free to contact me, especially if any of these names or places sound familiar to you.

Auguri!
Kylejbal

Post by Kylejbal »

I am a descendent of pietro he was also my great great grandfather . I live in Los Angeles . I’m am a descendent of his daughter Germaine conidi . She lives in Santa Monica and had a couple kids (my grandmother ) . She lived into her 90s and I was lucky enough to know her . I was a senior in high school when she passed . Who are you a descendent of ?