help

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rpbert1

help

Post by rpbert1 »

We have started trying to trace my Wife side of the family, and am quite new to this so, not sure where to look .
Some Information. All elderly members of my Wifes side of the family are sadly passed away, but very little was known , only some things thah was mentioned when she was growing up, which we have found to be slightly inaccurate.
My Wifes father had been sent to Belfast from Scotland when he was 4 years old, we knew he had 2 sisters, and have since found some records of them , discovered one was a half sister and found a record of them being on a ship to New york, in 1928
Discovered the half sister on the New York Census of 1930. Her hname was Esther Mccallum born 1904, her sister Margaret Mccallum Rooney was born around 1917.
Talk in the family was one of the sisters married an Italian, but no one really knew or heard anything about them.
I have discovered an Esther Mccallum married a Louis Spezzano on 10th June 1931 in Manhattan, but not sure if this is my wifes fathers sister. although if it is could be a start to finding information on the other sister as well.
A louis Spezzano who was born in 1904, and who was registered in New Jersey, died in Almeda California, so not sure if this is the same Louis.
Hoping someone could maybe be give some places to look or an info would be appreciated.
m1ke_l

Re: help

Post by m1ke_l »

i started at ancestry.com and found most everything I needed
rpbert1

Post by rpbert1 »

m1ke_l wrote:i started at <a href="/http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-3166187-10456885" TARGET="_blank">Ancestry.com</a> and found most everything I needed
Ok thanks mike.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hello!

McCallum Esther Jun 10 1931 15396 Manhattan
Spezzano Louis Jun 10 1931 Manhattan 15396

Not sure if it will help, her marriage record should have her parents' names on it

Ordering NYC Vital Records
New York City Archives

Valarie
---

a few possible records:

from genealogy. bank
Miami Herald, The (FL) - December 9, 1986
Deceased Name: SPEZZANO, Esther
SPEZZANO, Esther, 82, of 700 Horizons W, Boynton Beach, died Saturday. Services 11 a.m. Wednesday, Scobee-Combs Funeral Home, Boynton Beach.
Edition: PLM BCH
Page: 4PB
Copyright (c) 1986 The Miami Herald
---

SSDI
Esther Spezzano
Date of Birth: Sunday October 02, 1904
Date of Death: December 1986
Est. Age at death: 82 years, 2 months
Last known residence:
City: Boynton Beach; Briny Breezes; Ocean Ridge
County: Palm Beach
State: Florida
ZIP Code: 33435
Social Security details:
State of Issue: Massachusetts
Number: 033-30-3761
---

from footnote. com

(click here) 1937 naturalization index card

Publication Number: M1545
Publication Title: Index to Petitions and Records of Naturalizations of the U.S. and District Courts for the District of Massachusetts, 1907-1966
Publisher: NARA
State: Massachusetts
Short Description: NARA M1545. Index to naturalization petitions and records for the District of Massachusetts, within the US District Court, 1906-1966, and the US Circuit Court, 1906-1911.
Admission Year: 1937
Immigrant Full Name: SPEZZANO Esther
Court: D.C.
rpbert1

Post by rpbert1 »

Thankyou Valerie,
I would say this definetly is my Wifes Aunt, as she was born on the 2nd Oct 1904 in Glasgow, i have a record for Louis death in 1976 in Almeda California, if its the right Louis.
Thankyou so much. We go to Florida everyear from here in Ireland , so might see if i can get anything when there in July.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

probably Esther's husband Louis, next door to address on Esther's 1937 index card
31 years old, born 1902-3

1934 Naturalization Index Card

Publication Number: M1545
Publication Title: Index to Petitions and Records of Naturalizations of the U.S. and District Courts for the District of Massachusetts, 1907-1966
Publisher: NARA
State: Massachusetts
Short Description: NARA M1545. Index to naturalization petitions and records for the District of Massachusetts, within the US District Court, 1906-1966, and the US Circuit Court, 1906-1911.
Admission Year: 1934
Immigrant Full Name: SPEZZANO, Louis
Court: D.C.
---

SSDI (also issued in MA)

Name: Louis Spezzano
Date of Birth: Saturday April 11, 1903
Date of Death: April 1987
Est. Age at death: 84 years
Last known residence:
City: Costa Mesa
County: Orange
State: California
ZIP Code: 92627

Social Security details:
State of Issue: Massachusetts
Number: 011-01-2705
---

CA Death Records:
Last Name First Name Middle Birth Date Mother Maiden Father Last Sex Birth Place Death Place Residence Death Date SSN Age

SPEZZANO LOUIS 04/11/1903 MAGRI M REST (OTHER) ORANGE 04/08/1987 011-01-2705 83 yrs
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

A long shot, possible children
South Florida Sun-Sentinel (Fort Lauderdale, FL) - March 3, 1996
Deceased Name: SPEZZANO - Louis Gitano
a young 64
of Ft. Lauderdale died Thursday, February 29, 1996. A resident of this area for 33 years, he owned the Assured Insurance Agency for 20 years. A graduate of Boston College and a past captain of the Boston Tech High Hockey Team. His hobbies were many, he loved sailboats, was an avid beach goer, fantastic golfer, and a wonderful dancer, especially the "Marangue and the Rhumba."
Mr. Spezzano is survived by his sisters;
Norma Black of Boston, MA,
Esther Shaw of Costa Mesa, CA and
Josephine Spezzano of San Francisco, CA;
brother Anthony Spezzano of Louisville, KY;
and loving friend and fiancee, Sammye Cook of Pompano Beach.
Visitation will be Monday, March 4, 1996 from 6-8 PM with an 11 AM funeral service on Tuesday, March 5, 1996 at KRAEER FUNERAL HOME, 200 N. Federal Hwy., Pompano Bch, 954-941-4111. A Tribute will be held immediately following the service by Mrs. Sammye Cook for -personal friends and relatives.
Edition: FINAL
Page: 6B
Copyright (c) 1996, Sun-Sentinel Company. All rights reserved.
South Florida Sun-Sentinel (Fort Lauderdale, FL) - March 2, 1996
Deceased Name: SPEZZANO - Louis Jr.
of Ft. Lauderdale

FL died March 1, 1996. Kraeer Pompano Beach Funeral Home.*
Edition: FINAL
Page: 6B
Copyright (c) 1996, Sun-Sentinel Company. All rights reserved.
rpbert1

Post by rpbert1 »

thankyou so much Valerie, the louis i thought is not the one , but there was another one ,but he died in California in 1987, while Esther died in Florida in 1986.
Any idea of where we might find some info on wether they had any children, Esther had a sister [but have not been able to find much on her]and my wifes father would have been her brother, although he was sent to Ireland when he was 4,there mother died in 1926 in Glasgow , she was 11 when they left for New York, i have found one name and date would fit ,but have not got clarification on her date of birth, but she lived in Boston .

Just readyour other post, and that is really exciting new , i do not know how to thank you enough. Family members are really excited about , this info, and although a long shot, my wife remembers her mother talk about an Anthony.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

I'll see if I can find some phone numbers and addresses for you.
If I do, I'll post a note that I've sent you a PM with the details.
Valarie
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Just sent Anthony in KY to your 'PM'
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Also sent PM with Josephine's info

Nothing definite for Esther or Norma

Good luck :D !
Valarie
rpbert1

Post by rpbert1 »

Wow valerie, how did you manage that,
Its midnight here, but Wife is not sure they appreciate a phone call out of the blue, so she is writing a letter to him, and will send it on tuesday, as we have a holiday here on Monday and all post offices are closed.
She is looking forward to hear if they have any info and maybe pics they can share with us , as my wife has never saw a pic of her grandparents on her fathers side, her father died in 1970, he was 50 years old, and she was very young.
i cannot tell how long we have been looking , and it was by chance i found a site about the Bronx, and while word was that a sister married an italian, i found esther on the New York Brides section.
This really exciting news that you have found them so quick, was hesitant about posting, but thought why not, .
thankyou so much.
Robert
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Robert,
You're very welcome!
I'm so glad we could help :D .
Please update us when you get a chance.
Valarie
rpbert1

Post by rpbert1 »

Hi Valerie,
she is considering, phoning tonight , but is a bit unsure about it. She is worried how people might react,especially as her cousins would be a lot older now, probably all in there 70s, so she will decide later as its 12:30 midday here.
She wants to know if there is any advice you could give her, wether to phone or write.
i said a lot of people are now interested in there past , and if it was me i would be thrilled to find info on past family members and those we know nothing about, so to pass on to our children and there children.
Thanks again. and will update you when we either phone or write.
Robert
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hello Robert!
Yes, I would call :D .
Once your wife gets thru the awkward "hello, my name is ___, my father was ___, I think we may be related..."
I'm guessing the chances are pretty good that they are going to be happy to hear from her! And, not only hear from her, but talk to a relative from overseas!
If the call(s) don't work, there's always writing a letter.
We're having a holiday weekend here too so if she doesn't reach anyone today chances are pretty good for tomorrow.
Fingers crossed, Valarie