Grandfather Origin

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jmirra3
Rookie
Rookie

Grandfather Origin

Post by jmirra3 »

My grandmother tells me that she is Calabrese and Sicilian (which I assume means that her parents are from Calabria and Sicily)

She tells me that my grandfather was Brutsese and Nabiladon. That is how she pronounces them. I assume she means Abruzzo but I can't figure out the other one.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim
sal4
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Grandfather Origin

Post by sal4 »

Hi Jim.............Nabiladon (I don't know how to spell it) is the Italian way to say your from Naples...Hope this helps......Sal4
Looking for surnames Iasalvatore (Salvatore), Tartaglia, Rosetta, Consola, Di Muccio, Castellano, Montanaro, Dipaolo, Costa, Sansone, Giudicianni and Laudato.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Hi,

Napolitan or Neopolitan (from Naples)

Now you have 4 locations: Calabria, Naples, Abruzzo, and Sicily. All are provinces (Naples is a city and province) . You will probably need to pinpoint the specific towns to get more info.

Do you have ship's manifests? If you would like to provide names and more information we will be able to help you find their towns of origin.
jmirra3
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jmirra3 »

My grandfather's father Anthony Mirra was born in Pennsylvania and this is Anthony's mother's passenger list (Gelsomina D'Amato):

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0939520448&

Anthony's father is Rafaelle Mirra (I don't have a passenger list for him)

My grandfather's mother was Nora Mangini born in Pennsylvania
Nora's mother is Rosa De Feis and this is her passenger list:

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0027

Nora's father is Nicolas Mangini (I have no passenger list for him)

My grandmother's father Guiseppe Sampognaro was from Caccamo, Palermo, Sicily
My grandmother's mother Mary Corsino was born in Ohio and I only have her parents names from the death certificate Andrea Corsino and Vincenza Caledonia

Thank you,

Jim
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Gelsomina is from Campagna, province of Salerno, but Naples is the largest city in that area, so that is how she probably identified herself.

I am not sure you have the correct manifest for Rosa, the one you posted is for a Luigi, going to Philadelphia????
jmirra3
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jmirra3 »

according to Pink who was helping me find My great grandmother Nora's mother:

Rosina Barra, Single, travelling from Paduli (Benevento Province - Campania region) with her father De Feis Luigi (possible step-father?) age 57, barber, going to Phila to join her mother Maria living 1506 South 2nd Street.
In the declaration for Luigi De feis, in a first time he declared to join his wife Maria same address but near there is a post-annotation "Rel." for relative.