Donato Santoliquido

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
GeoffreySantoliquido

Donato Santoliquido

Post by GeoffreySantoliquido »

Hello,
I am trying to locate immigration or naturalization records pertaining to Donato Santoliquido. He immigrated to New York in 1907 from Forenza (PZ), Basilicata. His great grandchildren may be cousins of mine and they currently live in Italy. Their family lost touch with Donato following his emigration and is interested in any information that can be found. Unfortunately I do not know if he had a middle name and I realize the importance of that since my own grandfather immigrated under his middle name rather than his first name. Despite this I am hopeful records may be located. I found nothing at Ellis Island's web site, however.

You people were a tremendous help to me locating information about my paternal grandfather, grandmother, and other relatives and am hopeful you can assist me in this effort. You may recall that my grandfather, Arcangelo Raffaele Santoliquido, was also from Forenza. Due to the unusualness of my surname and its limited frequency of occurrence both here and in Forenza, I feel the odds of relationship to Donato are reasonable and I'd like to find more information if possible. I'm interested in his ship manifest and naturalization records as well as any other civil document that may be located. You guys are the best and I hope you can help!

Sincerely,
Geoff Santoliquido
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Donato Santoliquido

Post by PeterTimber »

There are several Santoliquido in the pre-ellisisland,org at the website www.castlegarden.org where they come from Forenza. Perhaps we can then get onthe same track after you review these entries. =Peter=
~Peter~
GeoffreySantoliquido

Yes, I have seen that listing many times, however as you see, none of them has the first name of Donato. It does, of course, contain the name of my grandfather, Arcangelo Raffaele Santoliquido, who went by his middle name. It has fascinated me to see that all of those who have documented home towns on that list (5 of the 13 listed) are from Forenza, such a tiny village.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Donato Santoliquido arrived 1901 at NYC? Is 1907 entry which you cite as year of arrival based upon any documentation? He is listed under "alternate spellings" for Santoliquido (look above the listing for santoliquido). =Peter=
~Peter~
GeoffreySantoliquido

Peter,
Thank you! It didn't occur to me to use the alternate spelling. I'm sorry!

Yes, I found the alternate spelling showing Donato Santoliguido by visiting ellisisland.org just now. Alternate spelling didn't seem to be an option on castlegarden, but then again, their web site froze up on me. Could you be kind and post the manifest image for me? I'm a retiree living on a "fixed income" so to speak and have not paid a subscription fee....

It appears from the manifest that Donato had a friend here in USA who he came to join. "Nicola J...... " illegible to me.

And no, the year 1907 is not definitive at all. This 1901 record has a high probability of correctness as initially one of his great grandchildren identified 1900 or thereabouts as his emigration year.

If you can think of a way to build on this finding with other documents, that would be fantastic...
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Peter's :D manifest find
1901 manifest

not much clearer
same 1901 manifest
from ancestry. com

joining Nicola Solimena at 105 Commerce Street, Hartford CT
GeoffreySantoliquido

Thanks much, VJ! This is extremely helpful to me. I'm sure my cousins will agree! Your ability to decipher these documents is excellent.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear VJ thanks much for sending the Donato Santoliquido ellisisland 1901 manifest..... your always and forever more will be my model and heroine (shared by few but worthies). =Peter=
~Peter~
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Geoff, you're very welcome!

Peter,
Welcome back!
I missed you.

Valarie
GeoffreySantoliquido

I got a message in reply from my Italian cousin, great grandson of Donato. After he saw the ship manifest he wrote me back on Facebook, where I met him. He said this: "dear cousin Geoffrey, in italy there is a saying 'who is grateful, is not required' so I will not but I want you to know that I was amazed by your availability."

OK, I'm not altogether clear about the meaning but thought I'd share his gratitude with you all. Maybe one of you could help me understand the expression he shared....
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

He most likely mean to say.... Needless to express any gratitude and is amazed at your research capabilities. =Peter=
~Peter~
GeoffreySantoliquido

Please accept his gratitude and his praise of the research as being intended for you guys! You're the best, no doubt.