No replies from Ottaviano

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
blujay
Rookie
Rookie

No replies from Ottaviano

Post by blujay »

Hello,
I have written Ottaviano, Italy thrice concerning the birth records of my great grandmother Elvira CAMMISA born Feb. 14, 1888 (d. 1982). The last two requests were sent registered mail with the final letter being sent to the mayor. It has now been three months (nine months since I started writing in Dec. 2008)) and I have not had a single reply. Well, I thought maybe I had the wrong place, maybe she did not remember when and where she was born. But I received an extract of marriage (7 Oct 1911) from Nocera Inferiore and it confirmed that she was born in Ottaviano and was 23 yrs old at the time of her marriage.
At this point I do not know what to do. Has anyone else encountered this kind of problem with Ottaviano? Can anyone kindly offer any future course of action?

Much appreciated,
blujay :(
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: No replies from Ottaviano

Post by Italysearcher »

Some comunes want to be paid for providing records but don't have the means to request payment in a form they can deal with. You may need the intervention of someone in Italy to resolve this situation.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

blujay wrote:Hello,
I have written Ottaviano, Italy thrice concerning the birth records of my great grandmother Elvira CAMMISA born Feb. 14, 1888 (d. 1982). The last two requests were sent registered mail with the final letter being sent to the mayor. It has now been three months (nine months since I started writing in Dec. 2008)) and I have not had a single reply. Well, I thought maybe I had the wrong place, maybe she did not remember when and where she was born. But I received an extract of marriage (7 Oct 1911) from Nocera Inferiore and it confirmed that she was born in Ottaviano and was 23 yrs old at the time of her marriage.
At this point I do not know what to do. Has anyone else encountered this kind of problem with Ottaviano? Can anyone kindly offer any future course of action?

Much appreciated,
blujay :(
the birth certificates are free... the problem is if you wrote in italian or not; sometime the birth date is wrong, because in USA resulting a birth date and in Italy another; also, if you sent the letter to right address or not; if yes, maybe you wrote the Ottaviano common address with some error and they no received... that it is possible....

the address:
Ufficio di Stato Civile
piazza Municipio, 1
80044 Ottaviano (NA)
Italy

email servizidemografici @ comune.ottaviano.na.it (NO SPACES please)
please send a email with this txt:

Oggetto: Richiesta Estratto dell'Atto di Nascita in Modello Plurilingue di CAMMISA Elvira nata a Ottaviano il 14/02/1888.

Gent.ma Dott. ssa Marilisa Giugliano,

mi chiamo ............... (your name) e sono cittadina statunitense di origini italiane.
Le scrivo nella speranza che possa risolvere il mio problema.
Ho inviato una richiesta scritta tramite raccomandata internazionale indirizzata all'Ufficio di Stato Civile di codesto Comune al fine di ottenere l' estratto dell'Atto di nascita in Modello Plurilingue della mia antenata a fini jus sanguinis.
La prima richiesta è stata inviata nel dicembre 2008.
Non ricevendo alcuna risposta, ne ho inviata una successiva, sempre con lo stesso oggetto, e tramite raccomandata internazionale, e ormai sono passati diversi mesi e non ho ottenuto a tutt'oggi nessun riscontro.

Le sarei grata, gent.ma Dott.ssa di poter ricevere l'Estratto dell'Atto di Nascita in Modello Plurilingue della mia antenata emigrata negli USA: CAMMISA Elvira nata a Ottaviano il 14/02/1888.

La data di nascita è desunta dai documenti statunitensi, ma poichè la mia antenata si era coniugata a Nocera Inferiore, e questo Comune mi ha inviato il certificato di matrimonio, CAMMISA Elvira risulta nata a Ottaviano e di anni 23 nel 1911, per cui penso che l'anno di nascita possa essere realmente il 1888.

Gent.ma Dott.ssa sperando in una sua sensibile attenzione e che questa mia trovi favorevole accoglienza, mi è gradita l'occasione per porgerle i miei più distinti saluti,
................your name
...................your complete and exact address
.......................your email

[hr]
and send the same email to Major also:
sindaco @ comune.ottaviano.na.it (NO SPACES)
[hr]
regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
blujay
Rookie
Rookie

Post by blujay »

It's very strange. I have written in Italian using the same methods to other comunes and have gotten fantastic results. Grottaglie gets back to me now in just 2 weeks! The address you provided looks very familiar. I think I used the same exact one. Besides, the last two were signed for. And I sent a few dollars as well. :( The only thing I can think of is the IRC I sent may not be valid to them.
Thanks for your suggestion! I will give it a try!
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

suanj is right the certificates are free, but many comunes in my area are beginning to charge for the search, the photocopy (if you ask for that) and the postage and mailing costs. Especially communes that get lots of requests.
Ann Tatangelo
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Why not go to www.nonsolocap.it/campania/54-ottaviano. I sense you can speak Italian sufficiently well to ask them about your document so call their MUNICIPIO and ask to speak with the Uffico di Stato Civile and find out what is their problem. =Peter=
~Peter~
blujay
Rookie
Rookie

Post by blujay »

PeterTimber wrote:Why not go to www.nonsolocap.it/campania/54-ottaviano. I sense you can speak Italian sufficiently well to ask them about your document so call their MUNICIPIO and ask to speak with the Uffico di Stato Civile and find out what is their problem. =Peter=
I just wish I could Peter! It turns out the person in charge of the demographic service in Grottaglie is the grandson of my great grandfather's older sister, Giuseppa. My grandfather stayed with them for a few months back in 1991. The demographic service issued me a letter stating all services would be free of charge. They even sent me a 5 Euro bill!! My relative wanted to talk to me on the phone but it would have been an extremely brief conversion at best. So we emailed back and forth to each other. I suppose I'll have to start working on my oral Italian! Thanks as always for your suggestion Peter!
I emailed Ottaviano using suanj's letter. I pray for a response.

Regards,
blujay
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Why not ask your relative to get the records for you. She would know who to contact.
Ann Tatangelo
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

maybe they speak english well enough for you to understand them?=Peter=
~Peter~
blujay
Rookie
Rookie

Post by blujay »

Italysearcher wrote:Why not ask your relative to get the records for you. She would know who to contact.
That thought did cross my mind but I don't know if it would be appropriate at this point to ask for such a favor. Is this commonly done in Italy?
blujay
Rookie
Rookie

Post by blujay »

PeterTimber wrote:maybe they speak english well enough for you to understand them?=Peter=
I assume that they cannot communicate in English. When I mentioned the fact that I could not speak Italian so well in my email, my relative did not offer or mention to speak in English. Since he is a one generation above me, I assume that he is about 70 yrs. old or so. Besides, he has not answered my last few emails containing photos of my family and questions concerning his. I don't know if I should stop sending emails. Is it possible I wore out my welcome so quickly??

Regards,
blujay
blujay
Rookie
Rookie

Post by blujay »

It has been almost a fortnight and I have not received a response via email from Ottaviano (no surprise there!!) concerning the birth of my great grandmother. Should I just keep resending the same email over and over? Perhaps a letter once a week? Is there a higher authority I should contact that can straighten this out?? Sorry, but the persons running the show in Ottaviano have irritated me quite a bit to say the least. My grandfather is 97 and I would like to give him this information about his mother before he passes on. I thank everyone for their wonderful responses to my plight. Please, anyone, any further suggestions? :(

blujay
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

Your e-mail(s) are probably in a pile as it is the 'holiday' month in Italy. Most places either close down and state offices run on a skeleton staff who only deal with urgent matters and they will then slowly catch up with the backlog when vacations are over.

Most offices are returning to full staffing next week. See if your relative will at least telephone them and ask if they have received your e-mail. If you/he/she can't do that - then send me a Private Message and I will call them next week and ask for you...
elba
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

I would ask the relative to get it for you.
Ann Tatangelo
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

blujay wrote:It has been almost a fortnight and I have not received a response via email from Ottaviano (no surprise there!!) concerning the birth of my great grandmother. Should I just keep resending the same email over and over? Perhaps a letter once a week? Is there a higher authority I should contact that can straighten this out?? Sorry, but the persons running the show in Ottaviano have irritated me quite a bit to say the least. My grandfather is 97 and I would like to give him this information about his mother before he passes on. I thank everyone for their wonderful responses to my plight. Please, anyone, any further suggestions? :(

blujay
Hi need patience.... normally the reply is between 30-40 days ..I sent a registered letter in 13 july 2009 in a Common of Marche region, and also I made 2 phoning ( 13 and 24 august 2009), until today... nothing... I wait....
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH