Furillo / Fiorello - Which Sant'Angelo?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
vickir76

Furillo / Fiorello - Which Sant'Angelo?

Post by vickir76 »

I am trying to locate records for the Furillo / Fiorello side of my family tree.

On Michael's ship manifest it states that he came from Sant'Angelo but I can not make out which one. I narrowed my search down to the following two cities

Sant'Angelo all'Esca, in the province of Avellino
Sant'Angelo d'Alife, in the province of Caserta

I am trying to figure out which one of the two might be my better choice to start searching for his family.

Brief Bio:
Michele Fiorello was born 17 Jan 1878 in Italy and died in 1951 in Pennsylvania. Per his marriage license his parents were Anotonio and Rosaria Fiorello. He emigrated to the USA with a cousin Michele Iannuzzi from Naples on 21 Feb 1901 arriving in Ellis Island NYC on 6 Mar 1901 heading to Reading, PA to Uncle Guiseppe Penta and his wife Rosie. The Penta's emigrated to the USA about 13 Mar 1864 aboard the ship Bretania.

Also if any websites are available for either of these towns or providences that can assist me with my search I would appreciate that help.
vj
Master
Master

Re: Furillo / Fiorello - Which Sant'Angelo?

Post by vj »

Hello!
For reference, your 1901 manifest from ancestry. com
town looks like S. Angelo All'Esca
---

If you want to try writing to Sant'Angelo all'Esca for Michele Furillo/Fiorello's birth record:

Italian form letter generator with instructions:
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

Address:

Comune di Sant'Angelo all'Esca
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Via Monsignor Reppucci 68
83050 Sant'Angelo all'Esca (AV)
Campania
ITALY

http://www.tuttitalia.it/campania/34-sa ... -all-esca/
---

Website for finding comune addresses:
http://www.nonsolocap.it/
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

I am posting the manifest for reference.

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0009

It looks to me that the town is Sant'Angelo all'Esca and his name on the manifest is spelled Fiorillo.
Are you sure of the correct spelling? Fiorillo is much more common in Campania than Fiorello and Furillo does not exist in Italy today.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hi mj!
I agree Michele's name looks like Fiorillo
Valarie
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Hey vj,

Great mind work alike !!!!!!! I didn't see your post. Sorry I duplicated :oops: but I agree with your conclusions. (As always)
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Not to worry mj :D ,
I hadn't looked at the Ellis Island version of the manifest
Great catch on the original spelling of his surname!
Shame neither of Michele's military registration cards gave his birthplace.
Couldn't find his cousin, Michele Iannuzzi, military registration cards in Berks county.
Fingers crossed that puppetgrass can locate Michele Fiorillo & family's records in Sant'Angelo all'Esca
Valarie
---

puppetgrass,

If you think Sant'Angelo all'Esca may be correct, you could also review your family’s records on microfilm.

Your nearest Family History Center has records for Sant'Angelo all'Esca on microfilm.
The cost is about $6 mo (rent), you’ll need to go to the center to order & view them.

Family History Library Catalog:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library ... t_fhlc.asp

film notes for Sant'Angelo all'Esca
Topic:
Italy, Avellino, Sant'Angelo all'Esca - Civil registration
Titles:
Registri dello stato civile, 1809-1910 Sant'Angelo all'Esca (Avellino).
Ufficio dello stato civile
---

In case you aren’t familiar with the Family History Center & Italian records

FamilySearch Home Page
Includes how to find your nearest local Family History Center

A helpful essay written by Trish, one of our forum members:
Steps for Finding Microfilm at the Family History Center
---

Italian Record Research from FamilySearch guides:
Italy Research Outline
---

Also from FamilySearch (PDF format)
Italian Records Extraction - An Instructional Guide
vickir76

Post by vickir76 »

Thank you both for your help. I originally thought is was Sant'Angelo all'Esca but the family keeps saying he was from the Caserta area, but no one can tell me where this infomation came from.
jazzharp

Post by jazzharp »

Our family had an extensive family tree done. The name is Fiorillo, and our history goes back to the 1500's and the creation of the Comedia Dell Arte. The town is Sant Angelo D'Alife as well as Sant Angelo Raviscanina. These are just outside Caserta. For more informtion, e-mail me at ffurillo@cityofmadison.com

Pucinello was created by Silvio Fiorillo. Scaramouche was created by Moliere's instructor, Tiberio Fiorillo, and Giovanbattista Fiorillo created Trapalino.

My father, Bud Furillo, was a famous sportswriter and radio personallity.

We always thought our name was Fiorello too, until the truth was found out!

Frank Furillo
vickir76

Post by vickir76 »

jazzharp wrote:Our family had an extensive family tree done. The name is Fiorillo, and our history goes back to the 1500's and the creation of the Comedia Dell Arte. The town is Sant Angelo D'Alife as well as Sant Angelo Raviscanina. These are just outside Caserta. For more informtion, e-mail me at ffurillo@cityofmadison.com

Pucinello was created by Silvio Fiorillo. Scaramouche was created by Moliere's instructor, Tiberio Fiorillo, and Giovanbattista Fiorillo created Trapalino.

Frank Furillo
Frank,

It is Vicki R. from Facebook. I am going to email you access to my family tree research on Anecestry then we can compare notes and talk from there.

Vicki R
jazzharp

Post by jazzharp »

vickir76 wrote:
jazzharp wrote:Our family had an extensive family tree done. The name is Fiorillo, and our history goes back to the 1500's and the creation of the Comedia Dell Arte. The town is Sant Angelo D'Alife as well as Sant Angelo Raviscanina. These are just outside Caserta. For more informtion, e-mail me at ffurillo@cityofmadison.com

Frank Furillo
Frank,

It is Vicki R. from Facebook. I am going to email you access to my family tree research on Anecestry then we can compare notes and talk from there.

Vicki R
Cool. I am friends with a number of your cousins on Facebook. You must be related to Carl Furillo, the right fielder for the Brooklyn Dodgers. He came from Reading, Pennsylvania. I do recognize your relative's names from the family tree we had done.

Ps. I am currently becoming a dual citizen of Italy!

Frankly
Maltiere

Post by Maltiere »

My Fraternal Grandmothers maiden name was Concielia Furello. My Grandfather was Salvatore Altieri. They settled in Hubbard Ohio in 1907. Orher members of the Furello family also settled there. My information has led me to understand they came from StAngelo de alife. My father talked about his cousin playing pro baseball. Seems we have a connection here.
vickir76

Post by vickir76 »

Maltiere wrote: 12 Dec 2018, 23:29 My Fraternal Grandmothers maiden name was Concielia Furello. My Grandfather was Salvatore Altieri. They settled in Hubbard Ohio in 1907. Orher members of the Furello family also settled there. My information has led me to understand they came from StAngelo de alife. My father talked about his cousin playing pro baseball. Seems we have a connection here.
Did you have your DNA tested with Ancestry? If so, I have a cousin who is 2nd generation born in America from this line who tested, Would love to compare tests to see if there is a match.