Trying to find Emmanuele/Papadopoli in city of Palermo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
leftynomor

Re: Trying to find Emmanuele/Papadopoli in city of Palermo

Post by leftynomor »

My grandfather is Vincenzo, brother to your grandmother. I have been trying to find his real last name for years. My father claims the last name, Papadopoli, was not the original family name. The name listed in the Ellis island record may not be the real name because he could not speak English and this may be what they recorded based on pronunciation. It was not until the 1940's New York census that the name was recorded as Papadopoli. Prior to that each census spells the name differently. My father did not know the real spelling. My name is Vincent Papadopoli and I now live in Florida. Any information you may have would be greatly appreciated.
jamesy1

Re: Trying to find Emmanuele/Papadopoli in city of Palermo

Post by jamesy1 »

Vincent,
we are indeed related and I have sent you a private message! How great to find you! As far as I know my great grandmother always used Papadopoli and the only misspelling was on the manifest for ellis and that actually may have been the correct spelling. Paparopoli seems to be used in Italy and maybe when they arrived in the u.s the spelling was changed due to pronunciation. I only think the p and r were interchanged and nothing else changed.