Help on birth certificate

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ugilla

Help on birth certificate

Post by ugilla »

Hi all!
My name is Eugenia, and I am travelling to Italy next October to meet the land of my great grand parents. I also want to find my great grand parent´s birth certificate. Hi name was Alejandro Bellini, and was born (apparently) in Albenga, in 1831. I have the marriage certificate and death certificate from Mercedes, Uruguay.
One of my cousins went some years ago to Albenga, but wasn´t lucky.

Can anyone give me some clues as to where should I search, or something?
Thank you very much in advance!!1
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Help on birth certificate

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Eugenia it may be that Albenga (www.tuttitalia.it/liguria/35-albenga for the town web page and for the web page for tourist information. The MUNICIPIO (City hall) address is located midway down.

There may not be any records for the date you mention (1831) in the Civil registry office (Ufficio di Stato Civile), however if you write to this office under the MUNICIPIO address you might wish to request whether documents exist elsewhere when requesting his birth record. Go to this website for italian language form letter:
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html

If you go to a local church www.parrocchie.it you may be able to obtain a baptisimal certificate indicating his 1831 birth. Just put ALBENGA in the upper right side of this website for the church listings. There are 12 church listings BUT only two have telephone numbers indicating that this is where priests live and you can either write to those specific churches or visit them when you get there.=Peter=
~Peter~
ugilla

Post by ugilla »

Thank you Peter!

Let´s see how it goes :)
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

One more thing.....when requesting documents from the MUNICIPIO Uffico di Stato Civile there is no cost and its free..but when requesting documents from a church it is expected that a "donation" be made. The Mormon church used to recommend $15.00 per document but with the dollar decline I suggest about $25.00 US. Priests have full control in the parish churches and sometimes are not very enthusiastic about rummaging thru their archives. =Peter=
~Peter~
ugilla

Post by ugilla »

That´s quite a piece of information! :)
My cousin went, and I think they told her they haven´t found Alejandro Bellini in their records.
Can I ask for a baptism certificate anyway? Is there a way to confirm the origins?

I entered the addresses you sent me, and the one you mentioned with a form, did not appear.

Thank you again!!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

It's fixed and try again! Yes, of course you can ask the parish priest for a baptismal certificate but which of the 12 churches was he baptised. That would prove helpful since each church has their own records.

The baptismal record can be relied upon in the absence of a birth record since Italy as a nation did not exist until 1871 and Albenga may have been part of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies at the time of his birth and the records may be archived somewhere in the provincial capital or perhaps were destroyed by war,fire or decay. =Peter=
~Peter~
ugilla

Post by ugilla »

Thanks again!!!
ugilla

Post by ugilla »

Dear Peter,
Sorry to bother you again. But as I went on with my research, some questions have arisen.
Someone made me the suggestion of trying to get Passenger Ship Arrival Records Passenger Ship Arrival Records....
I know that he arrived from Italy with his wifein Buenos Aires, Argentina. Do you know where can I search for those records?
Looking at the information I´ve got, I think the issue now is to know in which church he was baptized...would you recommend me sneding letters to all of them?

Sorry again and thank you very much

Eugenia
ugilla

Post by ugilla »

Hi again!
Sorry to come up with is almost one year ago, but it turns out that I haven´t been lucky in getting my great grandfather´s birth certificate. Just as a reminder:
I am looking for Alessandro Bellini Aycardi, born somewhere in Geneva on February 3, 1831. His parents were Luis Bellini and Magdalena Aycardi. And hi was marreid to Teresa Carzoglio.
His death certificate, from Uruguay, says he was born in Albenga, but I couldn´t find any baptismal records there. I also tried in Novara, and nothing.

Does anybody know if there is some kind of "general" church records office in Geneva so I can try to find the certificate there?

I also searched and found that in the port of Geneva there are health records of the people leaving from that port. Assuming that they came to America from there, does anybody know where should I write for such information? I think that if I can find the departure records, maybe I will know exactly where he was born.

Thank you in advance!
Eugenia
Brian in Wedmore

Post by Brian in Wedmore »

Hello Eugenia. I don't suppose you will see this after more than 6 years but I thought I'd try!

When you wrote Geneva did you mean Genova (ie Genoa)? Albenga is near Genoa.

I have been searching for the origins of my great great great grandfather, whose name was anglicanised to Alexander Belleini after he came to London and so I assume was originally Alessandro Bellini. Apparently the story in one branch of our family was that he came from Genoa but I don't know if that was the City of Genoa or the Republic of Genoa.

My ancestor Alexander was born in about 1784 or 1785 and his father was shown here as Stephen, presumably originally Stefeno, and as having been a farmer. I guess your ancestor Alessandro could be related as names get passed down the generations so I wondered if you had found out any more about him - perhaps mine was the great uncle of yours! Albenga was in the Republic of Genoa. Did you find anything about the origins of your Alessandro's family in Italy?

Do you know there is a 'frazione' Bellini in Cairo Montenotte, near Savona (as well as another in Morfasso)?
gpiquerez

Post by gpiquerez »

Hola Eugenia, mi nombre es Gustavo Piquerez, mi bisabuelo, Giovanni Caviglia se casó con Colomba Bellini Aycardi, hija de Luis Bellini y Magdalena Aycardi por lo tanto, hermana de tu abuelo Alessandro. Giovanni fue socio de su hermano Buenaventura en la mueblería Caviglia Hnos. Buenaventura se casó con Bianca Bellini. Todo me hace suponer que Bianca era hermana de Colomba, de ser así, también sería hermana de Alessandro. Por lo que dicen la notas biográficas de Buenaventura Caviglia, Bianca Bellini habría nacido en Pietra Ligure. Espero que te sirva el dato.