Bridging the Gap - Italy to America -

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
frattlaw
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Bridging the Gap - Italy to America -

Post by frattlaw »

One question about the Census Form

Under the question for naturalization - do you know what the abbreviations mean ?

Thanks again...

Michael
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

On the 1920 census posted by Pink

the first column is the year of immigration. For John, I can't read it. For Anna is reads 1886. The next column is the status of naturalization. It reads AL for Alien.

Debbie
frattlaw
Rookie
Rookie

Post by frattlaw »

To me it looks like a "AL" next to his name as well -- which means he never went through the naturalization process and thus never lost his citizenship status.

Which in turn means I can regain my Italian citizenship -- I hope.

Michael
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Sorry, I was not clear. John & Anna are both AL.

Debbie
wildaboutdolly

Post by wildaboutdolly »

Hello Fattoruso family,
My side came from the town of Angri, Salerno not far from Lettere. Please, search the Census records when they came over for this address in Brooklyn: 21 Garfield Place. Many seemed to have listed this address to come to Brooklyn. My side also took off for NJ! Mine were in Newark where my grandmother was born in 1914.
Also, Garfield Place Brooklyn is the home of my great grandfather, Pasquale Fattoruso (dob April 1876). Guess who lived upstairs from them? Al Capone's mom and dad. Capone's mom Theresina Raiola also came from the town of Angri. Capone was childhood friends with my great uncle and came out later on to Copiague, NY to buy sugar from my family, etc. My great grandpa Pasquale Fattoruso...His mom was Josephine Irace and dad Luigi Fattoruso. Luigi died in Italy and never came to the USA.
Is there a DNA test we all can do? I am in contact with the Fattoruso Around the World group on facebook and they are trying to help us too.
If you have any info to help me, contact me on facebook: Donna Blizzard or email me at royblizzard@peoplepc.com
God bless,
Donna Blizzard
Family origin: Pagani, Salerno, Naples. Arrived in NY 1889-1890...2 waves of arrival. Later settled in Newark, NJ
Surnames:
G. Grandma - Demartino, Marazzo
Great Grandpa - Pasquale Fattoruso