Bonini / Ferrari / Gioconda / Umiliana Families

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
tsbonini

Bonini / Ferrari / Gioconda / Umiliana Families

Post by tsbonini »

I am interested in finding any information on the following families/family members:

1. Paternal Great Great Grandfather (Giuseppe Bonini) and Great Great Grandmother (Salani Umiliana);

2. Maternal Great Great Grandfather (David Ferrari) and Great Great Grandmother (Paladini Gioconda);

They had five children (Edilia Ferrari (1887-1932); Orlando Ferrari (1884-1956); Emma Ferrari; Gisberto Ferrari; and Eliah Ferrari).

3. Great Grandfather (Vittorio Bonini (1888-1918)) and Great Grandmother (Edilia Ferrari (1887-1932));

They had five children (Harry Victor Bonini (my grandfather), George Vasco Bonini, Teressa Bonini, Flora Bonini, Rena Bonini)

It is my understanding that my Great Great Grandfather and Great Great Grandmother were either born in or lived in Collodi, Pescia, Italy and then my Great Grandfather and Great Grandmother moved to the United States in approximately 1913, eventually settling in Eureka, California.

Any tips or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Best regards,
Toby
vj
Master
Master

Re: Bonini / Ferrari / Gioconda / Umiliana Families

Post by vj »

Hello Toby
Welcome to the Forum!
tsbonini wrote:...either born in or lived in Collodi, Pescia, Italy...
Almost all of your family's Italian records are kept in/by the comune (town) where the events took place: birth, marriage and death.

Have you found your family's US records?
- census, military registration, ship manifest
These can help in pinning down the exact town of origin in Italy.

Thanks, Valarie
---
tsbonini wrote:...It is my understanding that my Great Great Grandfather and Great Great Grandmother were either born in or lived in Collodi, Pescia, Italy and then my Great Grandfather and Great Grandmother moved to the United States in approximately 1913, eventually settling in Eureka, California...
If they arrived at New York's Ellis Island, these two sites can help you find their manifest. If they didn't travel together, your g-grandmother would have been listed under her maiden name.

One step search:
http://stevemorse.org/ellis2/ellisgold.html
FamilySearch pilot:
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/rec ... 7819#start
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Bonini

For example, in case you haven't see this

from ancestry. com (subscription)
possible 1917 WWI Draft Registraion Card

Vittorio Bonini, 29
513 6th, Eureka, Humboldt, CA
born 29 May 1888 in Collodi Italy
(Collodi is a village in the comune of Pescia, Pistoia, Toscana)
Declared intention (to become a citizen)
Longshoreman, Humboldt Stevedore in Eureka CA
Wife & 4 children
kygenemail

Post by kygenemail »

Hi Toby-
Emma Ferrari is my GG grandmother. She immigrated to Indiana Harbor, Indiana in 1910 and died March 8, 1954. In Italy she married my GG Grandfather Santino Genovesi (also of Collodi). They had 8 children in Collodi before immigrating to the US.
Emma's obit stated that her brother Orlando was living in Chicago Il, and brother Gisberto was living in Collodi at the time of her death in 1954. There was no mention of Eliah.
Passenger records for Orlando in 1907 mentioned his mother Paladini Gioconda being in Collodi.
Orlando traveled again to the US in 1912 and he mentions his father David Ferrari of Pescia. In 1912 Orlando brings with him his wife Lydia.
Emma's paddenger records in 1910 mention her father David of Collodi.
I have very little information on David or Paladini, but maybe some of the above will help.
Regards,
Kathy
tsbonini

Post by tsbonini »

Dear Kathy,

Thank you for your email and the information. I must admit, it has been quite difficult finding information on the Italian side of my family. Clearly we are related through David Ferrari and Paladini Gioconda. If you have any additional information on either side of our respective families, I would be extremely interested. I am more than happy to share any information I currently have, or may uncover throughout the process.

One additional note is that in the 20 March 1912 State Immigration Officer’s report, Orlando indicates that he is going to, what looks like, his brother-in-laws in Chicago and specifies Santino Genovesi.

Many years ago, I was in contact with Lido Ferrari (b. 1928 approx.) and Renetta Ferrari (b. 1915 approx.). They were the son and daughter of Orlando and Lydia Ferrari. At the time they were living in the Chicago area.

I believe there is another family somewhere in the mix, the Raffaelli’s. I believe the Raffaelli’s may have also been in the Chicago area and some of them later moved to California. I am in the process of obtaining contact information for someone from the Raffaelli side.

Thank you again for the information. Please feel free to email me directly, if you so desire, at tsbonini@yahoo.com.

Best regards,
Toby