sicilian-jewish heritage

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
myra

sicilian-jewish heritage

Post by myra »

My search has been somewhat limiting. There are no available records from my great-grandparents. It's frustrating. Especially, since I've been told by many family members that we are Jewish. It would have come from the Cammarata side of the family. If anyone had information or can point me in the right direction, I would be most appreciative.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Go to www.google.com and put in title Sicily Jewish heritage. Perhaps iof you add your surname specific information will come up. Experiemnt with the title. Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

you know this website ...are interesting http://www.sephardim.com/html/heraldry.html
regards, suanj
myra

Sicilian Jewish Heritage

Post by myra »

I thank you for you advice. I have not given up my search. I continue to hit roadblocks unfortunately. I did find out that my grandfather arrived in this country from the Port of Lousiana. His name was Alletto, his mother's name-Cammarata. Any info, resources etc. I'll try anything and everything.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Myra I think you should get organized as to what youi want to achieve with your family genealogy. You are expected to condcut your own research with just assistance from people like myself byu directing you to websites and places. May I suggest you fobtain the tbook Italian Genealogical Records by Trafford R. Cole. it is an easy read and you can research unimpeded when you know what youi are looking for. Just settting forth conjecture and hoping someone gets back to you is not the kind of genealogy that is desireable. Peter
sortino

Post by sortino »

Jews in Italy often took the names of towns to be their surnames. But that does not mean that everyone with a town as surname has Jewish roots.

For a fascinating introduction to this topic go to: http://dieli.net/SicilyPage/JewishSicily/JewsEssay.html

It contains a list of common Italian-Jewish names.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Sortino the poster in this inquiry is seeking to establish whether her personal family geenalogy is of Jewish background in part or in whole. I am sure she willfind it interesting but it does not answer her question. Peter
strozzapretti

Post by strozzapretti »

Sortino, thank you, that's a great link, it's given me some new ideas on my search. Grazie!!
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Your comment only serves to confuse the inquiry. A private message is the suitable vehicle in this instance. Peter
Sonnyacg1

Post by Sonnyacg1 »

Hi Myra,

Have you looked into dna testing, www.ftdna.com

Sonny
myra

sicilian jewish heritage

Post by myra »

I have looked into dna testing. I was told it was only if my mother's side of the family was Jewish. It comes from my father's side. Thank you.
Sonnyacg1

Post by Sonnyacg1 »

dna testing can tell if your mothers side or your fathers side is jewish.

www.familytreedna.com/forum

Sonny
myra

sicilian jewish heritage

Post by myra »

Thanks for the lead. I will contact them today.

m
raymo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by raymo »

You may also want to try jewishencyclopedia.com, which has a list of 1600+ traditionally Jewish Italian surnames, to see if yours, or those of your relative, are on it.