Searching for Ciotti in Roccagorga

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
JoeVenezia
Rookie
Rookie

Searching for Ciotti in Roccagorga

Post by JoeVenezia »

Hello All,

My grandfather (my mother's father) Antonio Ciotti was born in tiny Roccagorga (population around 2,000 then) in 1883 to Angelo Ciotti and Vittoria Maurizzi and came to the US in the early 1900's. I have tried the Mormons, but they do not have the records for this tiny town on microfilm. Any advice on who or where I can write to obtain the full family history would be greatly appreciated. I actually found a Ciotti from Roccagorga on Facebook....we have to be relatives, right??? Any other thoughts? Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Joe Venezia
Sandy Hook, CT, USA
JoeViking@aol.com
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Searching for Ciotti in Roccagorga

Post by suanj »

Hi Joe, welcome!
Antonio Ciotti immigrated in 1904, coming from Roccagorga
and joining at Silvestro RICCI brother in law, in New York, Mulberry st
New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Antonio Ciotti
Name: Antonio Ciotti
Arrival Date: 28 Mar 1904
Estimated birth year: abt 1884
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian
Ship Name: Patria
Search Ship Database: Search the Patria in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 26
Microfilm Serial: 15
Microfilm Roll: T715_440
Page Number: 31

abt your query, the full family history, well the only option is to ask in the Roccagorga common, civil records office, the "Certificato Storico di Famiglia" starting from a sure date, that have a cost, depending from the record's numbers.
Also need of to know if the civil records registries are all available or not...
however you can ask info abt that, writing ( in italian language) here:
servizidemografici @ comune.roccagorga.lt.it
(NO SPACES)
fax +39 077396071
http://www.comuneroccagorga.lt.it/nu/nu ... umero=8&x=
Best regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
JoeVenezia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JoeVenezia »

Hello Suanj,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Attached is the 1905 Immigration Record I have been working off of for my grandfather. It states he had a brother Leonardo in NYC. The 1930 census report states he came over in 1905 and was 45 in April of 1930, so I think his birthdate is actually 1884 not 1883 (November).

It looks like I will have to get in touch with the Roccagorga town hall in order to get clarification. Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Joe
Surnames: Venezia (Atripalda), Ciotti (Roccagorga), Di Giacomo (Polla), Tassi (Ceccano)
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Just a quickie! Roccagorga has 4000+ inhabitants and the Mormon family history library has no microfilm for Roccagorga listed (oversight?) so maybe they have no records to begin with (fire,war,water,etcover the years destroyed same. or the Mormons were unable to reproduce the documents.

www.tuttitalia.it/lazio/89-roccagorga under Municipio fdor address and www to the right for tourist info. =Peter=
~Peter~
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Joe,
maybe it are 2 Antonio Ciotti born around same year, because the record that I found is also abt a Antonio Ciotti coming from Roccagorga:
New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Antonio Ciotti
Arrival Date: 28 Mar 1904
Estimated birth year: abt 1884
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian
Ship Name: Patria
Search Ship Database: Search the Patria in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 26
Microfilm Serial: 15
Microfilm Roll: T715_440
Page Number: 31

http://s6.imagestime.com/out.php/i44773 ... ti1904.jpg

abt the birthdate, if this record is abt your ancestor, the birthyear is 1883; however on the censuses it are so many errors...

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Antonio Ciotti
County: Fairfield
State: Connecticut
Birth Date: 13 Nov 1883
Race: White
FHL Roll Number: 1570298
DraftBoard: 12

U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942
about Antonio Ciotti
Birth Date: 13 Nov 1883
Birth Place: Roccagorga
Residence: Fairfield, Connecticut
Race: White
Roll: WW2_2283532

regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
JoeVenezia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JoeVenezia »

Hello suanj,

Those draft records are definitely my grandfather...I have those as part of the family tree on ancestry.com...my grandmother was Virginia. Maybe he came in 1904, went back and returned again for good in 1905??? I guess the town records would be the final validation since I know his parents names and either 1883 or 1884 as the birth year. Now I just need to brush up on my Italian, although I know there are many form letters out there and I have a few people in the office who speak Italian. Thanks again...this is a great site!

Regards,
Joe V.
Surnames: Venezia (Atripalda), Ciotti (Roccagorga), Di Giacomo (Polla), Tassi (Ceccano)
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

abt the ship's manifest in the travel of 1905 Antonio declaring that never in USA before; ditto for the second Antonio in 1904 travel; but here it are marking of naturalization and the date 25 July 1941... maybe by this markings and date you can know if really, it are abt your ancestor naturalization....
best regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Joe,

I found an interesting 1905 Census record which lists both Antonio Ciotti and Lionardo Ciotti. It it from the town of Arcadia in Wayne county, NY. The enumerator signed the sheet and dated it June 21, 1905. It is apparently a listing of day laborers who are living in the area as they are building a trolley road. Antonio is listed as 20, and has been in US for about 2 months (2/12), alien status. Leonardo is listed as about 25, and has been in the US about 1 year. Both are from Italy.

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad22 ... census.jpg

T.
JoeVenezia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JoeVenezia »

Very cool...thank you....would you be able to send me the actual jpeg...it is somewhat difficul to view.

Regards,
Joe
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Joe,

If you subscribe to Ancestry.com you can find it by searching "Lionardo Ciotti". The enahnced viewer in Ancestry makes it a little easier to read, but the document itself is VERY poor. I will try to send the jpeg to you.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I've sent you a PM
tlbright

Post by tlbright »

Hi Joe
funny thing don't know how I got to this site, but as I was reading your post I couldn't believe what I was reading , thats my grandfather two ...
and yes his birthday is nov.13 1883 and he died on may 24 1969 and we called him Papanon , and Nonnie was Virginia Tassi born on May 28 1899 and died on Jan. 12 1990 , they married in 1919 .

O and by the way I'm your cousin your uncle Angelo's daughter Terry
and if I remember right we called you Joey and we would race your race cars down Nonnie's hall way by the bedrooms because the floor was wood
lol this is great!!
you might not remember me but I remember you! my parents divorced when I was young so I was not around alot but when my dad did bring us around the family it was great!! everyone treated us so well!! as though we where always around, we belong to a geat family and one to be proud of! hope all is well with you!! and please give aunt Ida and uncle Joe a kiss for me!
JoeVenezia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JoeVenezia »

OMG...how funny....OF COURSE I remember you and your sister...Terry and Toni....the family picnics and the holidays....how did you ever find this site? Why don't you send me your e-mail (I am at JoeViking@aol.com)...I have the whole tree on Ancestry.com.....

I am married with 3 boys....13, 10 and 8...where are you living....let's catch up! Too funny...gotta run...talk soon.

Cousin Joe
tlbright

Post by tlbright »

OMG! OMG! This is GREAT! I would LOVE to catch up!
I'm married for 20 years now, I have 2 kids Ashley 17 and David jr. 13
I'm still in norwalk, all I have to say is thank God for Auntie Antoinette's family tree she aways would send, I kept them all!
my e-mail is coffeemom34@aol.com crazy name my kids did it for me lol
write and let me know how everyone is your mom and dad and sisters and do you know how uncle Bobby is doing? why are you looking up all that stuff on are grandfather? do you just want to know or for something ?
I will e-mail you more soon

hope life has been good to you!

cousin Terry xo
graham

Post by graham »

Hi Joe,

Was skipping through the internet and noticed your post.
Although we are not Italian, we own a small house in Roccagorga. it used to belong to someone called Ciotti and we have friends in the village / town also with the name Ciotti
Both these families still live in `Rocca and we regularly visit, usually three or four times a year as we love the area and people so much
One of our best friends is Maria Antonetta Ciotti, who lives with her sons, and parents who are friends with the Maurizi family.
We bought our house from Marina Maurizi, who lives in the same town as us here in the UK - Kettering, Northamptonshire, as many Italian families came to this area after the war for work and many returned to Rocca for retirement
If we can be of any help in tracing your relatives, we would be pleased to assist
Just as a matter of interest, Johnny Morelli and Angelo Maurizi opened a restaurant in a nearby town a couple of years ago in Wellingborough called " La Rocca" in celebration of the town
We like to think of ourselves as Roccagiani as we are made to feel part of the community by everyone :)
Nadine & Graham