Antonia Molina(i)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Hazelsgirl

Antonia Molina(i)

Post by Hazelsgirl »

Antonio came here in 1773 to work with Thomas Jefferson in planting a vineyard. He changed his name to Anthony Mullins. I would love to find any thing I can on him before he came to America. Am I dreaming? Thanks for any help with this. Danna
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Antonia Molina(i)

Post by suanj »

Hazelsgirl wrote:Antonio came here in 1773 to work with Thomas Jefferson in planting a vineyard. He changed his name to Anthony Mullins. I would love to find any thing I can on him before he came to America. Am I dreaming? Thanks for any help with this. Danna
Hi, You know already a lot of your family:
Anthony Mullins or Antonio Molina, a Genoese farmer, imigrated to America on the ship "Triumph" that left Leghorn, Italy on September 2, 1773. This was the first ship that Philip Mazzei brought from Italy.

In 1773 Philip Mazzei, an Italian doctor, and revolutionist, while in exile in England was persuaded to start a wine, olive and silk industry in Virginia by Thomas Adams, George Washington and others. When Mazzie's Italian party arrived, they were invited to stay with Thomas Jefferson who was among many other things, an avid gardener. Jefferson convinced Mazzei to start his vineyard next to Monticello and gave him 2000 acres. This place was called "Cole." Philip then had this ship sent and another in 1774 to bring vignerons and workers.

Thomas Jefferson could speak Italian and became close friends with many of the Italians. He knew Anthony well and in a letter to Charles Bellini on April 24, 1799, Jefferson relates that Anthony Mullins had done "tolerably well" while living near Monticello.

Anthony served in the Dragoons under William Washington during the Revolutionary War. More about his war service follows in his pension application. Sometime after this that he removed to Tennessee. His son William wrote to Thomas Jefferson on June 24, 1824 and Jefferson who, after 50 years could not remember his war service, still remembered "little Anthony" and that his Italian name was Molini.

In his lifetime he had at least two wives and eighteen children. He received a pension of $80 per year for his war service and his last wife Sarah, received his land grant following his death. Anthony died on November 3, 1836 in Lincoln County, Tennessee.

In Italy, and just to Genoa it is diffused is the Molina last name that Molini... the search is impossible to make it on line, is necessary to address to expert genealogist that reside on place and can to go near in parochial archives of Genoa. Regards, suanj
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hazelsgirl

Thank You

Post by Hazelsgirl »

Thank you for answering. Like you said I have quiet a bit of his American history, but would love to go futher back.