Best way to keep track of family tree?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
dcolligan73

Re: Best way to keep track of family tree?

Post by dcolligan73 »

I think Johnny hit the nail on the head.... software is great, but nothing beats a hardcopy.... in fact... two hardcopies.

I lived in Fort Lauderdale in 2005 when Hurricane Wilma hit and thanks to Wilma..... my faithful binder was destroyed (not the binder as much as the paper inside of it.)...

Thankfully, I was able to reproduce it from the online Ancestry copy..... and now, I periodically send a copy of my tree including a copy of all the record documents to my mother (I now live in Colorado, she still lives in Fort Lauderdale).... so in the event of catastrophic failure of either my digital or hardcopy .. there is a "backup" in another state.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Your lucky to have a family member who is interested. In my family Ive gotten some real winning comments on genealogy..." Im not interested unless I have royalty somewhere" and then "why do you care about all these dead people?" So as far as having another person to hold records for me, Im out of luck. Once my kids are older they will have to get the second copies!

Alicia
Romano1970
Master
Master

Post by Romano1970 »

How true that statement is. I have one relative that is involved but trying to get stuff from her is shall we say like pulling teeth.

One other thought about genealogy is all the work I have been doing I have the "Master" Paperwork plus my copy. Then I have also made copies for my three children. Which I will NOT be handing over to them until they are older. But , to me it is a wonderful present for them.
Michael Romano

Chi va piano va sano e va lontano

Those who go slowly, go safely and go far

Looking for family history in Piazza Armerina, Aidone, and Musomelli Sicily.
Names researching: Romano, Nigrelli, Ristagno, Piazza Maida Triolo.
Bivalacqua
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Bivalacqua »

I use Geni.com to keep my tree. Its free and allows a HUGE tree lol
carolinechurch
Veteran
Veteran

Post by carolinechurch »

Hi Bivalacqua, I've had a look at Geni.com, but without signing up to it.
Is it simply an on-line tree, or can you save it to your own hard drive?
Searching for my great x3 grandfather Raffaele CIACCIA, also known as Raphael/Ralph CHURCH. He was born in Napoli around 1792 and arrived in London before 1812 with his brother Saverio CIACCIA, where they married sisters Ann and Jane FURNEAUX. He switched between CHURCH and CIACCIA all his life, which has made it difficult enough to pin him down. I want to find his origin in Italy.
chrisssteeven

Post by chrisssteeven »

I keep tracking of huge family tree by using Ancestry site, and this site handle these issues very well.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Well I decided how Im doing this. I have one binder that has the clear protective covers that you slide documents into. So all my important documents stay clean,neat and organized. Then I bought another binder that I put 4 notebooks in. One for fathers paternal, one for fathers maternal, one for mothers paternal and one for mothers maternal. In each one I made a table of contents with each person on that part of the tree with a corresponding number.I assign each person there, one page in chronological order. I decided to add to each person and page the following facts that I know any future generation would love to have:
name
birth
date of death
cause of death
parents
siblings
spouse including marriage date
children
sacraments and at what church
schooling
occupation
hobbies
physical description
funeral/burial
residences
emigration
naturalization

It looks very nice to have one page with all this written out neatly that my whole family can enjoy for each relative.

Alicia
mozzie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mozzie »

I have been using Family Tree Maker for several years and have upgraded twice (I now use FTM 2009) it has proven to be excellent.

Prior to buying my latest upgrade, I had a casual (monthly) subscription to Ancestory, however the Software came with a free 6 month subsciption.

I have now comtributed to the World tree and have been able to gather a lot of information on relatives on my Mother's and Wife's side of the Family.

My wife and I highly recomend Family Tree Maker.

My Fathers side is proving a lot more difficult to trace,

David