Need help with Platto (and Sansone) Surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
AngelaM

Need help with Platto (and Sansone) Surname

Post by AngelaM »

I seem to be coming up empty handed while trying to find family members with the last name of Platto. I know my great-grandmother (Mary Nancy Platto) was born in Lascari, Sicily. And, I know that her brother, Bernard Platto was 10 years old when he immigrated to the US (he was born April 10, 1884). Their mother's name was Rosaria Sansone (and she was born Oct 24, 1854). Their father's name was Salvatore Platto (born May 11, 1857). When I do searches in Italian surname databases (and maybe I'm not looking in the right ones), I don't see Platto. Do you think that was the anglicized version of their real name? If so, any suggestions on what it may have been shortened from? I don't find any matches that appear to be my family members through Ellis Island. I haven't yet looked through the New Orleans passenger records yet to see if they immigrated to the US there or not. My family settled in Alabama but I do know there were family members in Mississippi, Louisiana and New York (I haven't found links yet though). Any help would be much appreciated.
Essgee
Master
Master

Re: Platto

Post by Essgee »

Found this that might help:

1900 Census of Birmingham, Jefferson, Ala.
ED 146, page 3A
Plato, Joe, born Feb., 1951, age 49, married at 20, arrived 1894, born
Italy, alien, merchant
-----, Rose, born 1852, age 48, married at 20, had 4 children, 2
children living, born Italy, arrived 1894.
-----, Bernie, born 1884, age 16, single, born Italy, arrived 1894
-----, Nancy, born 1889, age 11, single, born Italy, arrived 1894

1910 Census of Birmingham, Jefferson, Ala.
ED 101, page 42 A, Jefferson, Beat 5
Platto, Joe, age 53, married for 27 years, born Italy, arrived 1890(?)
------. Rosa, age 54, married for 27 years, born italy, had 5 children,
2 children still living.
S?n?, John, age 31, son-in-law, married 5 years, born Italy, arrived 1893
-----, Mary N. age 21, daughter, married 5 yers, born Italy, had 4 children
3 children still living, arrived 1894
-----, Sam, grandson, age 4, born Ala
-----, Antonette, granddaughter, age 1y 7 months, born Ala
-----, James G., grandson, age 2 months, born Ala
Ban???a, Joe, boarder, age 23, born Italy

1910 Census of Emmitsburg, Frederick, Md.
Ed 58, page 11B, St. Mary's College and Seminary
Platto, Bernard L., age 26, born Italy, arrived in 1894, Student

1920 Census of Birmingham, Jeffeson, Ala
Pallatto, Joe, age 68, born Italy, Naturalized, retired
--------, Rose, age 69, born Italy, naturalized
--------, Bernard, age 38, born Italy, naturalized, Minister of the Gospel

Don't know the married name of Mary so cannot find in the 1920 census, If you have name, let me know.

If you get the naturalization papers for Joe (Salvatore?) you should be able to find the ship he arrived on, where he arrived, and other information.

Hope this is a help.
AngelaM

Post by AngelaM »

Bernard Platto was a Catholic Priest. So it appears you found the right people. My Great-grandmother's married name was Serio. She married John Serio. He was also from Italy. He is another person that I haven't been able to find yet. And, my family all lived in the Birmingham, AL area (Ensley, AL to be exact)

I wonder why my Great-Great Grandfather would use the name Joe when even his headstone for his grave listed him as Salvatore Platto. Most Italian's with the name of Salvatore went by Sam if they used an anglicized version of their name in Alabama. Now, I'm puzzled about that.

You mentioned naturalization papers. Where do I go to get a copy of those?

And, the data you provided was a big help! Thank you so much.
AngelaM

Post by AngelaM »

I think I made some progress. I just found this passenger list on line:
http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/la ... 7744511398

Since you gave me the dates they entered the US, I was able to find this list and found some of the family members I was searching for. My family members are #386, 387 and 388. And it appears the last name was Platea instead of Platto. I figured there was another spelling that was throwing me off! Yahoo!

Again, thanks again for the assistance and any other suggestions/info you have.
AngelaM

Post by AngelaM »

I don't seem to be finding the surname Platea either in the Italian surname databases. I thought I was on to something but it seems like I'm lost again. The passenger list was typed so maybe the transcriber spelled it wrong. Maybe the true spelling was Plateo? Although I haven't found that name either. Anyone else have suggestions?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Need help with Platto (and Sansone) Surname

Post by suanj »

AngelaM wrote:I seem to be coming up empty handed while trying to find family members with the last name of Platto. I know my great-grandmother (Mary Nancy Platto) was born in Lascari, Sicily. And, I know that her brother, Bernard Platto was 10 years old when he immigrated to the US (he was born April 10, 1884). Their mother's name was Rosaria Sansone (and she was born Oct 24, 1854). Their father's name was Salvatore Platto (born May 11, 1857). When I do searches in Italian surname databases (and maybe I'm not looking in the right ones), I don't see Platto. Do you think that was the anglicized version of their real name? If so, any suggestions on what it may have been shortened from? I don't find any matches that appear to be my family members through Ellis Island. I haven't yet looked through the New Orleans passenger records yet to see if they immigrated to the US there or not. My family settled in Alabama but I do know there were family members in Mississippi, Louisiana and New York (I haven't found links yet though). Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi: in Italy exist Platto surname, but, currently, also exist Plata surname, Platti,not is in Sicily region; currently in Sicily region are Pletto surname...
regards, suanj
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

for AngelaM

Post by suanj »

Hi: kindlest, if you can to access records for italian emigration in Louisiana, I've need any info on this names:

-Francesco Pablo Bruno married, age 45;shoemaker; Trapani > New Orleans, LA , read/write; $11; to Nicolo Bruno at Decator St. then to Ruston,? LA; was in USA before, but I can not make out the date.

-Antonio Bruno married; age 44, laborer; Trapani >New Orleans, LA; read/write; $44; to nephew, Nicolo Bruno at Decatur St, New Orleans, Louisiana, never in USA before.

-Nicolo Bruno born in Trapani 15 February 1892, emigrated in 1904 in Louisiana, USA,, final destination Ruston, Lincoln Parish, transferred
in 1912 to Monroe, Ouachita Parish

Please help me, thanks, regards, suanj
Dorothy

Post by Dorothy »

I am so excited to find your postings! I have a photograph of the Reverend Bernard L. Platto (he was my maternal grandmother's first cousin). On the back he wrote:

"Birmingham, Ala.

Born April 10th, 1884. Lascari, Prov. of Palermo Siciliy, Italy. 7 miles from Cefalú. 43 miles from Palermo.
Parents:
Salvatore Platea (Platto)
Rosaria Sansone

Maria Sansone Rinaudo
Rosaria Sansone } sisters.

Rev. Bernard L. Platto.

Ordination January 12 -- 1913.
St. Paul's Church, Birmingham, Ala."

Would all of you connected to this family PLEASE post & fill in the blanks?
I can tell you that Salvatore & Rosaria settled in Baltimore. Angela, you are indeed right about family in Louisiana -- Mariana Sansone, Rosaria's sister and my great-grandmother settled in New Roads, Louisiana. She was married to Francesco (Frank) Rinaudo, and their descendants are all over that area.
Looking forward to filling in lots of blanks, Dot
Dorothy

Post by Dorothy »

Hi Angela -- I've tried every permutation to make the url (rootsweb passenger list) come up. When that didn't work, tried searching the last names -- no luck there either. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Dot
Dorothy

Post by Dorothy »

Hello again, Angela --
Have you tried the Cefalutana Society site to try to find your g-grandfather Joe Serio? The president of the society, Sal Serio, is a prince amongst men. http://www.cefalutanasociety.com/
Good luck, Dot
p.s. Now I'm thinking maybe I'm wrong about the Platto settling in Baltimore. I'll ask my mother.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

about Platea/Platto surname from Lascari I think that the just spelling is PLATIA.. regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hello again, Angela --
Have you tried the Cefalutana Society site to try to find your g-grandfather Joe Serio?
Hi Angela, noticed a Giuseppe Serio while looking for a manifest for Dorothy,

see line 1

but it also has the name Esposito next to it as well... does this make any sense??

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0069%2ETIF

mfjp