Birth and marriage records from Calabria

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jo123
Rookie
Rookie

Birth and marriage records from Calabria

Post by jo123 »

Hi there,

I was wondering if someone can give me a little help with obtaining birth, death and marriage records from Sinopoli, Reggio di Calabria.

I have ordered microfilms from my local family history centre pre 1910, but I'm wanting to get the records of my grandparents Saverio Monterosso and Giuseppina Carbone post 1910. I have a cousin who might be travelling to Sinopoli this year. Will he need to provide identification as to being a descendant or can anyone request the certificates.

Also, is it the town hall where the request would be made or the church? Do you need to request the certificates before travelling there as I'm sure he will only be there for a few days. Will he need to search through that particular year of records or will they find it for you.

Sorry for all the questions. Just wanting to get my head around it all. I have had so much help over the past 6 months from this forum. It's incredible how much I have discovered.

Josie
aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Birth and marriage records from Calabria

Post by aliza24 »

Hi Jo,

Anytime you have to request something from Italy it's kind of a hit or miss. Some comuni are good at replying (provided you request properly- in Italian, with return envelope, etc....) and others are not so good.

As far as HOW to go about it- I would suggest a great book by Trafford R. Cole called: Italian Genealogical Records: How to Use Italian Civil, Ecclesiastical & Other Records in Family History Research

It's worth buying because it will tell you all you need to know. Great book to keep as a future reference too for other things that might come up down the line.

Aliza
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

aruffalo

Post by aruffalo »

If you have dates to go with names and location, it should be easy peasy. Use the site that Tessa78 posted, create your letters and either fax or mail them off! I sent my request (birth certs and marriage cert) to the Ufficio di Stato Civile using the name of the Comune and got my documents about 5 weeks later. Like as previously mentioned, some comuni are hit or miss, but I would try that first before you send your cousin on a wild goose chase.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Have you checked out the following website for the Province of Cosenza which has records for Calabria? To access the actual records, you need to register with a user name and password.

http://88.59.143.158/ascs_web/index.fac ... 0609.node1
Totonno
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Totonno »

urp@comunedisinopoli.it

http://www.comunedisinopoli.it/live/ind ... tion=19:19

Write an e-mail to the mayor !!!

Ciao from Calabria
Faber est suae quisque fortunae
jo123
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jo123 »

Thankyou all so much. I have used the angelfire website to help with writing the letter. I will try emailing first and if no response I will mail.
Aruffalo, I was thinking that it might be a wild goose chase so I will try this first.

Thanks again
Josie
Tracing my family from Sinopoli. Surnames: Monterosso, Puccini, Carbone, Tripodi, Caruso, Rugnetta, Fimmano, Luppino.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

If you don't get a response, and someone is going to the town give them a copy of your letter and tell them to go tho the Anagrafe Office of the town in the town hall (Municipio). They should give it to him on the spot.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
jo123
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jo123 »

Thankyou I will do that

Josie
Tracing my family from Sinopoli. Surnames: Monterosso, Puccini, Carbone, Tripodi, Caruso, Rugnetta, Fimmano, Luppino.