can someone help????

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
abigailr0325

can someone help????

Post by abigailr0325 »

I'm not sure if i am doing this right or not but i was wondering if anyone can give me some advice about filling in my family tree. I am hitting dead end after dead end and this is really important to me, i can give any info needed.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: can someone help????

Post by Tessa78 »

Welcome to the forum ! :-)

Whatever details you can provide will help us in our search. What kinds of information do you already have? And what information are you looking for?

T.
abigailr0325

Post by abigailr0325 »

lets see my grandmother was Florence Maria Giordano nee Gesualdi she was my only link to finding old records and she just passed away April 3rd, Her first husband was Louis Giordano born 1917 died 1949 in hoboken NJ, and i can find NOTHING on him. I know that he went to A.J. Demerest High and at one point was a coach there and he Attended John Marshall University at some point. His parents were Carmine abt 1869 and Carmella about 1879 and their last residence was in Salerno Italy. I believe they came to this country in about 1899 through Ellis Island. Stayed in New York and then moved to Hoboken. My grandmother parents were Caroline "Lena" Gesualdi nee Delmastro and was born in Nj. her husband was Angelo Gesualdi. He was born in Monteforte Italy and his parents were either James, Jackamo, or Giacomo, Gesualdi depending on the record and Victoria, maiden name unknown. Lena's parents were either Antonio or Anthony Delmastro and Cecilia Destefano. This is were i hit the dead end. I have some siblings but thats about it, any ideas on were i might be able to find more information???
abigailr0325

Post by abigailr0325 »

my biggest problem is i am finding so much conflicting info and then no info i don't really know what to do
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

1900 Census for Carmine and Carmela Giordano

Name: Carmine Giordano
[Carline Giordano]
Home in 1900: Manhattan, New York, New York
Birth Date: Jul 1869
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1891
Relationship to Head of House: Head
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Spouse's name: Carmela
Marriage Year: 1899
Marital Status: Married
Years Married: 1
Residence : New York City, New York, New York

Notice that Carmine lists his immigration year as 1891.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

There are MANY talented volunteers at this forum who will do their best to assist you. :-D

T.
gerald325i
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gerald325i »

OK, looks like you're starting out, too many records that can help you from within the states. Have you ever tried Ancestry.com? I see info above that you should be able to find there, like social security records, census, Ellis Island records, etc. Then you can narrow to each specific person going from known to unknown...otherwise, you're all over the place...and get nowhere.
If I were you, I'd pay one month of membership to Ancestry if I know I will have the time to research...
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

This may be Carmine's manifest. Unfortunately, the early manifests have very little information.

SS Britannia arriving NY 26 August 1890
Carmine Giordano (line 26) age 21

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/5448 ... st1890.jpg

T.
abigailr0325

Post by abigailr0325 »

i have been doing ancestry.com but im not finding that much, i've been on it daily for the last 3 months. And i've been on Ellis Islands website and thats were im getting conflicting info, and then some of the census are wrong, like the ones 10years apart give different years of immigrations and the names are spelled all different ways.
abigailr0325

Post by abigailr0325 »

i found that manifest as well but there is one on the Ellis island website that has him coming with his wife carmella and the dates of birth are right, because the story i got was that he came over here prior went back and got his wife and come back with her, but i don't know how accurate this is and i have no one to check it with anymore. Plus my grandmother had dementia before she passed so i don't know to many things for sure.
abigailr0325

Post by abigailr0325 »

i don't believe that many of my older ancestors had ss#'s because i can't find a social security death record for them. I know that the Gesualdi's were mainly tailor's and worked in the NY garment district
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Hi abigailr

Sounds as if you are fairly new to genealogy. Suggest you get a book on how basic genealogy research is done. This will help you learn to evaluate the information you find and organize it. It is very common for the census records to have errors. Often you have to look at the family group as a whole to decide if it is "yours" Names change for many reasons from Italy though US society.

Start with yourself and work backwards, one generation at a time. When you have alot of confusing info its especially best to work this way. If you are within a reasonable traveling distance of Trenton, NJ you may want to plan a trip to the NJ archives. There you can search births and marriages up to 1930 and deaths to 1940.

Best of luck iwth your research. I am not trying to discourage you in asking for help, but the more primary source documents you find the better your info will be. NJ does not make vital records publicly available.

Debbie
abigailr0325

Post by abigailr0325 »

I'm actually going to the Hoboken Archives the first week of June, but i would like to have as much info as possible prior to that
abigailr0325

Post by abigailr0325 »

is there any way to get Italian records with little info needed, without going to Italy???
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Hi Abigail

I found your grandmother's obit online. I won't post it here (Privacy) unless you request it. Looks like she was born in 1923. Do you have her birth certificate? Have you found her on the 1930 census?

Debbie