Domenico Condomitti from Cittanova, Reggio di Calabria

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ANC56

Domenico Condomitti from Cittanova, Reggio di Calabria

Post by ANC56 »

:D Hello,
I am new at this and am looking for any family info., birth/marriage records and if I have family still living in Italy. My grandfather is Joseph Dominick Condomitti born April 12, 1913 from Cittanova, Reggio di Calabria, Calabria, Italy. My greatgrandfather is Domenico Condomitti born August 30, 1877 from Cittanova, Reggio di Calabria, Calabria, Italy. My greatgrandmother is Girolama Condomitti born August 15, 1881 from Rizziconi, Reggio di Calabria, Calabria, Italy. They moved to Collinsville, Illinois where they had 4 kids before my greatgrandmother passed away: Mary Concetta Condomitti (1905-1980), Frank (Francesco) Condomitti (1907-1991), Joseph Dominick Condomitti (1913-1967) (my grandfather) and Rose Condomitti (1917-1993). After my greatgrandmother Girolama passed away my greatgrandfather Domenico went back to Italy and married Rose Gentile Condomitti and brought her back to Collinsville, Illinois where they had two children: Geraldine Condomitti (1930-2007) and Domenick (Micky) Condomitti (1932-2008).

Besides birth and marriage records I’d like to know where they lived in Cittanova and what they did and if I have any relatives still living there. Any suggestions on where I should look or anyone with any information on them would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Amber Condomitti
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Domenico Condomitti from Cittanova, Reggio di Calabria

Post by Tessa78 »

Welcome to the forum! :-)

There are 22 listings for Condomitti in the phonebook for Cittanova...
You might want to write (in Italian) to inquire if they are related to you/your great grandfather.

Phone book listing
http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... o+Calabria

Form letters in Italian to write to possible relatives
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... etter.html

T.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Do you have ship's manifests and census records?
ANC56

Post by ANC56 »

Thanks! I'll write them and see what happens. I do have the ship and census records.

Domenico Condomitti
Arrival Date: 19 Apr 1909
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ship Name: Moltke
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Birth Location: Reggio C, Italy
Birth Location Other: cittanova

I've found quite a bit of info. but don't know how to use it to get other records....especially from Italy. Another thing is the name misspellings...every other document I have is spelled differently.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Don't know if you have this, Girolama and children coming to US and Domenico is still in Italy.

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0025

p2

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0025
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Great find!

But did you notice that Domenico was listed as being left in Italy, and also as the destination in Pennsylvania?

T.
choprjohn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by choprjohn »

Welcome Amber, my grandparents also came from Cittanova Reggio Calabria.
Researching IEMMA, From Cittanova, Reggio Calabria, also YEMMA & AMIE from Syracuse NY
ANC56

Post by ANC56 »

Thank you, misbris! I did not have these! I find it odd that Domenico was listed as being left in Italy....I wonder what that means. The Pennsylvania destination doesn't seem unusual because my Great-Grandma Girolama's sister (Frances Condomitti-Chiarenza) lived there. Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the feedback!
ANC56

Post by ANC56 »

Thanks again misbris! These do appear to be his. When my Great-Grandma Girolama passed away Domenico went back to Italy and married Rose Gentile Condomitti (same last name no relation). He brought her back to Collinsville to help raise the children and then they had two children together. I wonder why he went back and forth so much? I was really only aware of when he went back to marry Rose.

I know the area they came from was poor, so I'm not sure how and if they kept records.

Thanks!
Amber
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Do you have this WWII Alien Registration Card for Domenico?
It lists his age as 64 and his birthdate as Sept 4 1877, living in Collinsville.

First side
http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/7960 ... cowwii.jpg

Second side (has physical description)
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/2669 ... owwii2.jpg

T.
ANC56

Post by ANC56 »

Thanks Tessa78! I don't think this is my Great-Grandfater...the birthdates don't match. I have his birthdate as August 30, 1877 and that he passed away on Feb. 5 1938 at 56 years of age. I"m not sure how he's connected to my family just yet...it's confusing with everyone having the same names. :)

What site did you find that on? Does anyone have any other good reference sites?

Thanks!
Amber
choprjohn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by choprjohn »

Amber this doesnt have anything to do with your search, but its a great considence, my Grandfather Vencenzo James Iemma was born in Cittanova 29 Mar. 1880, my Grandmother Maria Rosa Iemma was also born there in 1881. They probably knew each other, it was so long aqo & in a small town in Italy, its very interesting....Johnnie
Researching IEMMA, From Cittanova, Reggio Calabria, also YEMMA & AMIE from Syracuse NY
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Amber,

I found the WWII registration card on Ancestry.com

Do you have your GGF birth record from Cittanova? You can write directly to the comune for this record, in Italian. Use this link for a form letter in Italian. Send a self-addressed (no postage) envelope along with it to make the reply easier. With luck you'll hear back in 3-6 weeks.

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

Write to:
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Viale Aldo Moro, 1
89022 Cittanova (RC)
ITALY

edit: You can also request the marriage record since I saw on your Family tree site on Ancestry that you have a date for this.

T.
hisstessa

Post by hisstessa »

My grandfather was also named Domenico Condomitti from Cittanova. He was born in 1877 and married Angela Furfaro, born in 1885. They came to USA in 1906 on the "Cedric" and settled in Collinsville Ill.Domenico was a miner. They had 9 children, my father being Domenico Jr. My grandfather passed away in 1938, and my grandmother, unknown. Domenick Condomitti JR died 1992 in San Diego Ca.
There has been a confusion with another Condomitti family with very similar background and settled in Collinsville Ill also.

Linda