Looking for info on Great Grandmother

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
alisoncostanzo84

Looking for info on Great Grandmother

Post by alisoncostanzo84 »

So after taking the info that my Aunt gave me and also confirmed I'm stuck. I can't find any information regarding my Great Grandmother Arninia. I know that my great grandfathers Alberico Roberto died in 1925 and was buried at Mt. Carmel in Chicago with my Great Uncle Christopher who died in 1924. We called to talk with someone at the cemetery and to our surprise my great grand parents bought the plot together. I confirmed the spelling of her first name with the cemetery it was correct. I then called my Aunt she then remembered that my Great Grandmother remarried a man named John Valentino who was also widowed. I confirmed this with the 1920 census and found his name and the names of his children. My aunt remembers her cousins names so it was easy to find the right Valentino. But I haven't been able to confirm my Great Grandmother being married to him I haven't been able to find a marriage licenses. I don't know anything about her I haven't been able to find a record of when she came to the United States, her birthday, when she died I really can't find anything on her. The only records I've found on her our the purchase of the plot at Mt. Carmel and her name on my grandmother Giacolina Roberto's birth certificate. I would welcome any help or ideas thanks again.
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Looking for info on Great Grandmother

Post by misbris »

Do you know her maiden name or the town she was born in?
alisoncostanzo84

Her maiden name is Melone and I know she's from Italy but I don't know from where. My Aunt doesn't remember much because she had shock treatment for her ocd before they knew it was bad for you. So when I find things out and tell her she is able to add little things but she doesn't remember much without prompting. I've searched Ellis Island passenger lists without any success as well as the 1910 and 1920 Census to find out any information. All I know is that my Great grandfather was Alberico Roberto they had my grandmother Giacolina and she was born May 8, 1922 in Chicago, Illinois. I know that they had other children becuase of my grandmothers birth certificate there were 3 other children. One of them may have been my great uncle Christopher who was buried in their plot in 1924 and then my Great Grandfather died and was buried there in 1925. Thats all I have been able to find out I've hit a road block. I don't know where else to search and really any suggestions would be helpful.
derek97ex
Rookie
Rookie

Post by derek97ex »

i thought for years we came through ellis island but alot of italians came through the port of new orleans i know i am not much help but found out that is where my family came and a thank everyone from this site
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Could this be the correct manifest?

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0029

Note line 27. Francesco Melone
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi MJ :-D

Great find! Did you notice that the group of 4 at the bottom of the manifest (including Alberico and Francesco) are all going to 39 Cross St. in Paterson, NJ? Person's name looks like Pasquale Delmonico.

A clue?

T.

edit:
They all seemed to come from Scontrone.
http://en.comuni-italiani.it/066/094/
alisoncostanzo84

Thank you everyone but unfortunately my great grandfather would have been older he was born in 1877 and couldn't have been 23 years old when he arrived through Ellis Island. I think that my great Grandmother was much younger then him because she had other children during her second marriage. But thank you derek97ex for the suggestion of checking New Orleans to see if they came through there. I'm just really stuck I can't find any record of my Great Grandmother not her remarriage or her death nothing I know that she didn't just go poof.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Alison,

The manifest MJ posted is for 1901, with Alberico being 23 years old. That would make his birth year 1877-78. Not sure why you don't think that is his manifest.

Here is his WWI Alien Registration Card. He is living in Illinois.

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/152/ ... wicard.jpg

T.
alisoncostanzo84

Your right I have no clue what I was thinking other then having one of those long days at work. Lots and lots of numbers today budgets you learn to love them. Hopefully this will put me on the right track in tracking down more information not only on my great grandmother but the rest of the family thanks everyone I really appreciate the help.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Another clue for you is that your ggrandmother's first name is probably Arminia. I found an Arminia Melone, but it was a young child.
alisoncostanzo84

Thanks again everyone for the information regarding my Great grandfather its been very helpful. I've sent a letter to Commune di Scontrone to request information regarding my Great Grandparents will see if I get a reply. What I found interesting is that when I was searching their website their Mayors last name is Melone now I know it could be a coincidence but who knows there might be a connection. As for finding out any other information I can't find anything else I have searched high and low for any kind of record. I don't know it seems like my great grandmother dropped of the face of the planet. I have searched every variation of her first and last name. I just don't know where else to look any suggestions?
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Have you tried LDS Pilot Family Search? I put in the last name Valentino and came up with 6 pages of Valentinos. Also put in Chicago, Cook, Illinois for the location. Nothing else.

You can then see actual birth/marriage/death records. I saw only one Giovanni (John) death record but I was not looking that close.

Give it a try.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Forgot to give you the website address:

http://search.labs.familysearch.org/rec ... tml#p=home

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

http://www.cookcountyclerkofcourt.org/NR/

The above is a database of Cook County ILL naturalizations, in case you should need this.

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/depar ... bases.html

This is the link for the Illinois State Archives databases
alisoncostanzo84

I've checked both these websites and unfortunately I keep striking out however I did get a response from Scontrone It was a very nice email from their Mayor and she planned on forwarding my info to someone who could research the information. So its really a waiting game but I'm hoping I'll get my Great Grandmothers birthday that may help me track her down. The only record I have of her is on my grandmothers birth certificate and I know that her and my Great Grandfather purchased the plot at Mt. Carmel. I just dont know where she could have gone its very strange but I'm sure very common. Thanks again for the suggestions and there always welcome.