Translation Help!!!!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cvwalters
Rookie
Rookie

Translation Help!!!!

Post by cvwalters »

First my greatest thanks to Warriorrabbit for posting that ancestry.com had records posted for Potenza. My mystery relatives are from that region and the mystery deepens.

Is there someone out there who could translate these records for me. My italian is quite limited to a few expression and some not so nice words. The records are for my great-grandfathers marriage to a Filomena (I am not sure about the last name). As far as I know she is not my ggm. However the date of marriage matches the date of marriage I have on other documents listed. Also I found my great uncle Nicks birth record and a death record for my gggf Nicola Videtta.

My ggf is Luigi Videtta and as far as I knew he was married to my ggm Angela Maria Montemurro. My gf is 3rd born give or take. The name of the women is Filomena and she also is listed on a manifest Maestro was kind enough to find for me. On my ggf naturaliztion papers his wife's name list is of Mary (that would be Angela). Her date of arrival matches that of Filomena. Hence my mystery.

Anything that could be tranlated out of these records, like names of individuals, paretns, etc, and dates would be terrific. I appreciate any help!

http://img375.imageshack.us/i/marriage.jpg/
Num. 14

http://img692.imageshack.us/i/deathps.jpg/
Num.24

http://img694.imageshack.us/i/unclenickbirth.jpg/
Num. 28

the last name for all is Videtta.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Translation Help!!!!

Post by Tessa78 »

The first record is the Act of marriage
dated 1 March 1902
Luigi Videtta, 21, farmer, son of Nicola Maria (father) and Grazia Maria Pierro (mother)
WITH
Filomena Sconsigliata, 18, farmer, parents unknown.

The image wasn't able to enlarge much so the writing at the bottom of the page is difficult.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Second is the record of death of Nicola Videtta
Dated 2 May 1904
The declarants: Cono Sabatella, 47, farmer (the other I can't read)
said that yesterday, May 1, at 3 PM, died Nicola Videtta, 55 years old, son of deceased Luigi, and husband of Maria Pierro.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Third is a birth record for Nicola Videtta

On 26 March 1903, Luigi Videtta, 23, farmer, appeared at the town hall to declare that at 4 PM on 25th of March, in the house on via Sangiacomo #28, to Filomena Sconsigliata, farmer, his wife who lives with him, was born a male baby who is named Nicola.

T.
cvwalters
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cvwalters »

Thank you so much Tessa, you are awesome! I am so glad to have found this forum!

I had thought that perhaps Filomena parents were listed unknown. I am hoping to find her listed in birth record for Pignola.

I am curious would "unknown" mean she is orphaned or that her parents are deceased?

Like I said before, she is not who is listed as Luigi Videtta wife in another records I have for this family. My only scenerio is she dies shortly after coming to Amercia and Luigi married Angela Montemurro right away, because there is a son born in 1908, and Filomena, Nicola and Maria Piero came over in Jan. 1907. Or Filomena and Angela are the same person....

Also could you verify Luigi was born in Palmira. I am going to check those recods for him.

I am attaching another copy of the marriage record to see if you can read the botom portion.

Tahanks again you are awesome!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

cvwalters wrote:

Also could you verify Luigi was born in Palmira. I am going to check those recods for him.

Yes, Luigi Videtta, born in Palmira, residing in Pignola.

T.
cvwalters
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cvwalters »

Thanks again Tessa! I have been looking for him through the Palmira birth records, but I can't seem to find him...
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Have you checked death records in US for Filomena?

T.
cvwalters
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cvwalters »

No I haven't. I have checked a website which has old newspapers for Utica, NY which is where they went from Italy. And I turned up no hits. Although it was just a quick search. I have gotten most everyone in that family obits from there. The last name is a bit of trouble. I think I am up to at leat 5 different spellings from the orginal to the current version. It is a bit fustrating. So I rely on luck to get me through when I am searching for this family.

My next step will be to contact that Utica City Clerk and see if they can dig anything up for me. The other thing is I can't find a birth record in Pignola for Filomena. In fact as I have been looking through the records I have not seen a listing for Sconsigliata.

Luigi Videtta/Louis Vedete (his name at his death) seems to wants to challenge me. So I am determined to not let him beat me. I did discover his aunt, uncle and cousins today. So I will continue to search.

Thanks!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

The Marriage process was very comprehensive. Many documents had to be presented before marriage. This was called the Procesetti or the Allegati. Maybe you can search the LDS films for this marriage and see if they have the Processetti/Allegati.

Or maybe you'll have better luck writing to the church (in Italy) and trying to get a baptism record... :-?

T.
cvwalters
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cvwalters »

The church is probably going to be my best bet. There are some other documents on Ancestry.com for Potenza. I believe there are other marriage related documents there.

I keep going back to all the info I have collected so far and all the dates from Potenza's documents have matched obits and naturalization papers I have gathered for Luigi. The thing that fustrates me the most is there the same dates for Filomena as Angela Maria (who as far as I know is my ggm). That is why I was hoping to find a birth record for Filomena. I wanted to see if they match.

Thanks for listening to my staga! I am sure I not the only one out there that has stumbled upon a mystery.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Have you searched the microfilm available at the LDS Family History Center in your area?

This is the list of documents and years available for Palmira (Potenza)

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... ++di++Oppi++

T.
cvwalters
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cvwalters »

Thanks again Tessa! I think I will need to check into the times at my local LDS.

I have been going through the online documents for Pignola year by year. I stumbled on a last name that was familar to me during a random search of Birth Records, and when I looked at his parent's names I realized that his father was the Uncle that was listed on Luigi's manifest as his "sponsor". This uncle is married to Luigi's Aunt Maria Videtta. I checked the cenus records for the family and found them living on the same street as great grandparents. From there I went looking for a marriage record for them and found the names of Maria's parents. Since I knew the father was named Luigi Videtta all I needed was the mother Rosa Sangiocomo. Later I looked again at my Luigi's father Nicola's death record and I did see his mother listed there as Rose Sangiocomo.

Although I have not found anything about Filomenia, I have gone two additional generations into anscestors. I never thought I would ever be able to found the family's "real" surname, let along found my ggg granparents! That is quite amazing to me.

I also came across a potential set of parents for my Angela Montemurro. There are a Vincenzio Montemurro and Carolina (I couldn't quite make out a last name) in a marriage record. I know Angela's father was named Vincezio, it is in her obit. The second Videtta/Vedete son is named James and her second born daughter is named Caroline. So I am also looking out for any Montemurro children born to them.

Thanks again!
cvwalters
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cvwalters »

I found Luigi! I had looked through Palmira online, but I was looking at the wrong years. He was actually born a few earlier than I thought or is listed on any of his american documents.

Also I found his parents marriage certificate as well. They were married in Palmira. I am not sure how they got to Pignola or how far it is between the two communes.

I was hoping Tessa, that you could translate out the documents for me. I am getting better with recongizing words and can usually pick out names.

I really am looking for dates, mother and father names for Luigi's parents. And anything else you think might be important.

Thank you again for all the help!!!!

http://img822.imageshack.us/i/gggpnicol ... riage.jpg/

http://img813.imageshack.us/i/luigividettabc.jpg/
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :-D

The birth record is for Luigi Videtti and is record #152

Father is Nicola Maria Videtti, 28, peasant farmer residing in Palmira. He appeared at the town hall on 21 Nov 1880 at 10:15 Am to declare that at 7:10 PM on the 20th of November, in the house on Strada Balestiere #42, to Grazia Maria Pierro, daughter of deceased Francesco, his wife who was living with him, was born a masculine child who they named Luigi.

Witnesses were Clemente Leone, 36, peasant farmer, and Francesco Russo, 50, peasant farmer.

T.