Information on name Meschia

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
anthonyhowarth

Information on name Meschia

Post by anthonyhowarth »

Hi, I am trying to trace the origin of my mother's maiden name "Meschia". Her grandfather was Louis Meschia who came to England in late 1800's and eventually settled in Hyde, a small town on the outskirts of Manchester, with a family called Cicero. They had an ice cream business which he eventually took over.

The story is that he came as an orphan. I have traced him in the 1901 census and at that time he used the surname "Burgonessi" or similar. There was also a girl named Amelia "Burgonessi" at the same address. This was the name he gave to his first born my Aunty Amelia.

For some reason he changed his surname to Meschia by the time he was married around 1905.

He married a Levaggi from Mezzanigo, a small village in Genova.

I know he was born around 1883. Is there any way of finding records of orphans?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Information on name Meschia

Post by suanj »

anthonyhowarth wrote:Hi, I am trying to trace the origin of my mother's maiden name "Meschia". Her grandfather was Louis Meschia who came to England in late 1800's and eventually settled in Hyde, a small town on the outskirts of Manchester, with a family called Cicero. They had an ice cream business which he eventually took over.

The story is that he came as an orphan. I have traced him in the 1901 census and at that time he used the surname "Burgonessi" or similar. There was also a girl named Amelia "Burgonessi" at the same address. This was the name he gave to his first born my Aunty Amelia.

For some reason he changed his surname to Meschia by the time he was married around 1905.

Hi: not are any way of finding records of orphans..Burgonessi surname not exist in Italy; exist: Bergamaschi, Bergamasco etc.. more: Mezzanigo village not exist... but exist MEZZANEGO ...in Genova province..
really Levaggi surname exist...and also Meschia surname, in north Italy and also in Genova area...(more: Lombardia and Piemonte regions)..
this are Meschia persons living in Genova area:

http://paginebianche.virgilio.it/pb/cer ... ia&x=0&y=0

and this Levaggi persons in Mezzanego:

http://paginebianche.virgilio.it/pb/cer ... go&x=0&y=0
for your search: this surnames Burgonessi and Meschia for same person it renders all much difficult....tried better in every resources in Manchester, beginning from documents ancestor's death and going behind in the time...regards, suanj
anthonyhowarth

Post by anthonyhowarth »

suanj wrote:
anthonyhowarth wrote:Hi, I am trying to trace the origin of my mother's maiden name "Meschia". Her grandfather was Louis Meschia who came to England in late 1800's and eventually settled in Hyde, a small town on the outskirts of Manchester, with a family called Cicero. They had an ice cream business which he eventually took over.

Hi: not are any way of finding records of orphans..Burgonessi surname not exist in Italy; exist: Bergamaschi, Bergamasco etc.. more: Mezzanigo village not exist... but exist MEZZANEGO ...in Genova province..
really Levaggi surname exist...and also Meschia surname, in north Italy and also in Genova area...(more: Lombardia and Piemonte regions)..
this are Meschia persons living in Genova area:

http://paginebianche.virgilio.it/pb/cer ... ia&x=0&y=0

and this Levaggi persons in Mezzanego:

http://paginebianche.virgilio.it/pb/cer ... go&x=0&y=0
for your search: this surnames Burgonessi and Meschia for same person it renders all much difficult....tried better in every resources in Manchester, beginning from documents ancestor's death and going behind in the time...regards, suanj

suanj, thanks for the reply. had traced records in Manchester which is where i found the change of name but can find nothing more. interesting about the meschia's in rapallo as this is very near to mezzanego. will be in the area next month so will make enquiries in that area.

anthony
llevaggi

Post by llevaggi »

Hello Anthony - Just found this site today and was happy to see your post - although I can't help with the actual information you're looking for, I do have something you might be interested in -- First - several years ago I found www.levaggi.com on the net and sent a note to a Tony Levaggi now living in New Zealand - I found he was originally from Manchester UK and forwarded me to a site about his family there - this is a little confusing but I think you'll find it - go to www.rhodesfamily.org.uk - go to the bottom of the page and click on "yesterdays" - go to the bottom of that page and click on "Meschia extra" -- there's another site - www.ancoatslittleitaly.com - that mentions the Levaggi name under the topic of Ice Cream businesses in Denton but does not meniton Meschia --
My paternal grandfather Victor Levaggi was born in Mezzanego in 1866 - he had many brothers and sisters (we have info on only a few) - he ran away to New York when he was 13 years old -- he had a sister Kate Olivari there - and later went to Tiffin Ohio where his brother Joseph was in the fruit business -- when he married my grandmother they ended up in Brockton MA where he owned a fruit store and stayed until he died in 1950 - I still own the family home which he bought in 1905 and where h raised my father, Lawrence and his brothers Victor, Albert and Fred (who ironically had an ice cream business in Weymouth MA and his sisters Stella and Thelma ----- I don't know how but I'm sure the Levaggi's of the UK and the Levaggis of the US are related with roots in Mezzanego --
Regards -
Laurel :D
KBritton-Levaggi

Post by KBritton-Levaggi »

I know this this a very old message, and the chances of anyone seeing this are slim.

I am searching for information on the Levaggi surname. I am a 24 year old family historian, and I am planning a visit to the Genoa area this coming September to learn more about my Italian roots. If anyone has any information about how to learn more about the Levaggi's of Genoa/Mezzanego I would be very appreciative.

My Grandmother's name was Madeline Levaggi and she was born in 1928 in Bloomington, Indiana USA. Her father was Andrew C Levaggi who was born in New York in 1893 to his parents, David (Davide) Levaggi and Sarah Levaggi who immigrated from Italy.

I believe that David Levaggi was born in 1862 somewhere in the Genoa region. He arrived in New York in 1882 and moved to the state of Ohio by the 1900 US Census. David died while visiting his family (had a brother named Angelo) in Mezzanego in the year 1929.

I am very interested in finding out any information I can about the Levaggi family and especially finding out the names of David's parents. If anyone believes they may have a resource to more information PLEASE feel free to respond here.

Thanks!