Surname/Michele/Maggiori/Grego

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
moonbayou

Surname/Michele/Maggiori/Grego

Post by moonbayou »

I have the marriage license of my great grandmother and great grandfather. If anyone can help I would be gratefull. I would like to find info on her parents and his too.

Her name is Rosa Michele-born 1875/73? in we think New Orleans. died 5-2-1962 in New Orleans,La.
His name is Rosario Michele-born 1851 in Cefalu,Sicily,Italy-died 8-13-1912 in New Orleans,Louisiana.
They were married 4-25-1891 In New Orleans, Louisiana.

On the license it state's Rosario Michele parents were:
Giovanni Michele - Father
Rosa Maggiori - Mother

Rosa Michele parents were:
Carmelo Michele - Father
Teresa or Theresa Grego - Mother

Witnesses were:
Paul Gerardina, Antonia Grego, Carolina Grego

I am not sure if Rosa Michele was born in New Orleans or Cefalu.
When did her parents Carmelo Michele and Teresa/Theresa Grego come to New Orleans.

I think Rosario Michele and his parents Giovanni Michele and Rosa Maggiori came to New Orleans a few years prior to 1891.

Who is Carolina Grego and Antonio Grego.

I am just starting my search so that is why I am asking all these questions. Thanks for any help. Cynthia
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

People here would certainly like to help you and since there is so much to advise you about can you be more specific as to what help you want. For instance do you want to find current relatives or your lineage dating back to the 18th century or earlier. Perhaps you want to find entry data into the USA. Please take the time to determine just what you want to know since you are the person who is going to have to do the research. i can refer you to the appropriate websites and places for you to write to. You do the rest!. Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Rosario Micele/Michele/Michel and Rosa Micele/Michele/Mi

Post by suanj »

moonbayou wrote:These are the names of my great grandparents. Rosario, born abt. 1851, came to New Orleans,Louisiana and married Rosa on 4-25-1891. First child, Rosa, my grandmother was born 5-25-1896. Rosario died 8-13-1912.
Rosa, my great grandmother, also came from Italy as a young girl, to New Orleans. She was born abt. 1875 and died 5-2-1962. Her maiden name was Michele/Michel/Micele but no relation we were told. She married Salvatore Ferrara after being a widow for many years. Can anyone help me? Thanks

I am looking for my ancester's. Where they were born, when they were born, married, children? When did they come to New Orleans,La.? I am looking for my roots. Anything that can get me started on searching for them and their ancesters.
Hi: Michel is surname tipically of French or Switzerland; in Italy exist Micele, Miceli, Michele, Micheli.
The first name "Rosario" is tipically of south Italy (Calabria and Sicilia), therefore probable surname Micele or Miceli..you know ancestor's emigration year ?Before 1891 are records
-for Micele surname but nobody Rosa or Rosario first name...

-for Miceli surname are an Rosaria(female) Miceli coming from Palermo, infant, age months 4, emigrated in New Orleans in 1882, and probale brother or cousin 2 Rosalino Miceli homonymus, age 4 and age 1 , travelled with Giuseppe Miceli age 33 and Antonino Miceli age 30..

-for Michele surname nobody Rosa or Rosario
-ditto for Micheli surname.
Regards, suanj
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

If you go to the :puiiana division New orleans Public Library, 219 Loyola Avenue, N.O. telephone 504 596 2610 and request the micorfilms of passenger lists of vessels arriving at New orleans from 1820 to 1902. Since you know the yar of arrrival that should not involve much researching. Make arrangement with your own local library to have the microfilm sent to them. In Italy all records,history and documents are in the town of origin and that is where you have to write to obtain the records like birth,marriage and death certificates. You do not say if yoiu know the town they were born in in Italy but the shiups manifest will tell you that when you find them on the Micorfilm. If you know the town then perhaps you can go to the nearest Mormon Family History Library for the civil records of the town of origin which will have records dating from 1809 to 1910 normally on micorfilm. You can also go to www.paginebianche.it and filling the surname in the first line and the town of origin in the third line and click CERCA for any posible relatives who may be living in the town of origin today. Peter