Trying to understand living and immigration patterens

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
NOLAGenalogy

Trying to understand living and immigration patterens

Post by NOLAGenalogy »

Hello Everyone!

I'm a bit new to the Italian aspect of research, but am very intermediate in genealogy as a whole.

I am researching a family by the name of Guarino in New Orleans, La. I have located several of the standard records, such as census, obits etc. My problem however, seems to be the VAST majority with the same name.

I've done a lot of research on Italians in NOLA, and have learned a lot from here also, but would like help with clarification of a few things if I may?? :) I understand here in NOLA that various groups from Italy actually stayed seperate from those not of their "villiage" or city and pretty much stayed together in one part of an area. ( I.E. Northern Italians stayed over by the docks here, while Scilians lived in the St. Roch area) I find this very interesting...as other immigrant groups didn't do so.

I have located the majority of the family I am looking for, but am trying to determine the generation born abt 1860, arriving about 1875-1905, and a pattern of who/what/where? they would have gone to when first arriving....

I am trying to understand how such a concentration of people in one area of town, with the same exact last name..who all seemed to name their kids with the same exact name..who 15 years apart marry women with the same maiden name, cannot be related somehow. If the Second generation married His cousin this would all make sense.

Can someone help me sort this a bit??

Thank you!!

Dawn
vj
Master
Master

Re: Trying to understand living and immigration patterens

Post by vj »

Hello Dawn,
Welcome to the Forum :D
While you are mostly interested in New Orleans, this article from the forum's archive may help to get you started.
Valarie
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/News ... id=20.html
NOLAGenalogy

Post by NOLAGenalogy »

Thank you...I had read that article!

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is an assumption....but I hate assumptions myself...lol

Example:

If Bob Castello lived on Tremont in NY... I would assume all those Castello's that lived within a 4-5 block radius were either from the same viliage in Italy....or better yet related!! If Bob was was born in 1858 and one block over is Frank Castello who was born 1860...and they both had children with the exact same names, just in various order of birth...would you not assume they were prob brothers? And lo and behold!!! Five blocks further is another Castello...With children that have most of the same names as the other two!

It is making my connections hard to determine in a big way.... :o

Is there by chance any link or information about names and orders of names? I'll have to google it and see what I find..

Thank YOU!!
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

NOLAGenalogy

Post by NOLAGenalogy »

THAT was AWESOME!!!

Thank you sooo much..and yes...it does explain my perdictiment :roll:

Not much into buying a book I only need one chapter of, but I'll take a look around and see what I can find. Maybe if I get lucky the local library will it.

If I only had the next couple of pages in that book..I'd be a very happy camper! LOL

Thank you again for the help! It is greatly appreciated.

Dawn