DOMINICK PODESTA from GENOA born 1840

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
capoguido

DOMINICK PODESTA from GENOA born 1840

Post by capoguido »

Hi everyone,
Can anyone help me trace further back my relatives? Dominick Podesta came to England (Portsmouth, then up to Gunn Street in Manchester. He married Rosina from Bristol and had about seven children among them Lucy the youngest, Mary, Angelina, my great grandfather Antonio Pasquale Podesta (old Joe, the 4th boy) who moved down to London (Camberwell) where he married Julia Pratt. I would be interested to find out the life or some history of Dominick Podesta in Italy (he was a musician or organ maker) if anyone knows where I could look. Thank you.
Terence Hall
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Re: DOMINICK PODESTA from GENOA born 1840

Post by jamiecapaldi »

I can tell you Rosina's last name was Annoni and they married in Birmingham, 1875.
They also had a twins called Ricardo and Augustina in 1875, Bristol, but unfortunately died.
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

Also Strangely, there was a Domenico Podesta which married a Angelina Annoni in London, 1869.
Was this his first marriage?? Sibling??
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

Rosina was born in Bristol in 1854.
capoguido

Post by capoguido »

Hi Jamie
Thank you for responding.
The Rosina we have identified is Rosina Beacham, daughter of Margaret Beacham and sister to John, who most seem to fit with the Dominick Podesta timeline etc. He was on a vessel in Swansea, awaiting immigration we think, then went to Portsmouth. He is shown in all the censuses in England as an organmaker and as a lodger in a number of places. (his children seem to be born all over the country)

At some stage, he moved to the Little Italy area of Manchester and married Rosina, who seems to have moved from Bristol with her family there. I am aware two of their children died. I don't have any recollection from family members of a Ricardo, Angelina or an Augustina, nor of the surname Annoni. These are the names of his children that I know of: Teresa, Angelina, Anthony, Mary, Josephina, Caroline, Lucy. I am not sure. Anthony left Manchester and moved to London where he married Julia Pratt in 1897 in Southwark.

Do you think there is any connection between these two families? I do know that Dominick originally cam over with a cousin and lived in Tower Street Portsea? There was once a church there and I wonder if the organ is why he came to England?

Thank you for your response, it is very kind of you to help me.
daddymuzza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by daddymuzza »

Have a file on Podestas of Holborn who show up in the census at the same address as relatives of mine hope this helps ..........................
if yer no fast yer last !!!
capoguido

Post by capoguido »

Hi daddymuzza,
I don't think this family of podestas is linked to me, but there do seem to be an awful lot of Podestas! I wonder if anyone knows of Dominick's forebears in Italy itself. I used to work in Italy so that would be fascinating to me.
Thanks for your help.
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

Here are the Mariages by the name Dominic Podesta around the uk and wales, up to 1930.
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

and....
capoguido

Post by capoguido »

Hi JAMIE
Thank you for the list of marriages. I wonder why it does not include the marriage to Rosina Beacham since that is registered on the ancestry.com website. This seems to be the most likely as they all moved to Manchester, which is correct as far as relatives have indicated. The Annoni name still seems a bit hit or miss unless I am overlooking something. I would still be keen to find out the Dominick Podestas (born I believe 1840) who came over from Genoa and would appreciate anyone who might have some information about this and what he did there? There could be other family members who remained there. Thank you for any leads, they are really appreciated.
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

Is it possible Domenico came over with any Siblings?
I found a Antonio Podesta who went to Dublin and married a Sarah Lynch and had a child called Anthony on the 7th September 1869 in Dublin.
The Father Antonio died in Dublin in 1917 born in Italy, 1839ish. The Son Anthony died in Dublin, 1920.
capoguido

Post by capoguido »

We think he came over with a cousin, from what we have gathered, Jamie. There is no Irish connection in the family. I do appreciate your help with this.
capoguido

Post by capoguido »

Hi Jamie,
We have since found out the following:
You are quite right that Dominick DID marry Rosina Annoni (but we can't find her on the 1861 census or the actual marriage certificate which might reveal his birthdate) Rosina was registered on her birth certificate as being born in Clifton in 1854. We are assuming that he came over with a friend, cousin or colleague called Nicholas Cassinelli. Dominick was a piano tuner. We do not have an immigration record for Dominick but we suspect he left Italy around the age of 19, simply because he is shown on the 1881 census, but not 1871 census, yet he married in 1875. So he arrived somewhere in between that date.
Dominick was born in 1849 (not 1840) according to my brother's research. Thank you.
capoguido

Post by capoguido »

Hi Jamie
We have since found out from my brother's research that Dominick did indeed marry Rosina Annoni born in Clifton in 1854 and married her in Birmingham 1875. He must have arrived to the UK between 1871 and then since he isn't shown in the 1871 census, but clearly in the 1881 census. We believe he came over with a friend, cousin or colleague called Nicholas Cassinelli with whom the Podesta family shared accommodation in Manchester. Dominick is a paino tuner, and Rosina was a lacemaker. I am guessing there may be some military records or some other record of Dominick in Genoa, but perhaps someone might know? Thank you, your help certainky shed some light on the matter.
Rooken

Post by Rooken »

Hi everybody,

I'm stuck.

Can anyone help me find out more about Joseph (Giuseppe) Frank Podesta and his ancestors? Were there links with other Podesta families that came to England?

B: 1829 Genoa, Liguria, Italy
D: 13 December 1909 Southampton, Hampshire.

Did he have brothers? Sisters? Who was his father?

Thank you,
Rooken