help-ancestry potenza records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

help-ancestry potenza records

Post by Eleven »

I just found out today that ancestry has records for potenza.

I dont have a paid account there, but I am willing to get one, only, I am not sure they have the town that I need.

I found the area to search. I put in the town, Rionero in Vulture. This brought me nothing. I then found an area with a dropdown menu. It listed almost every town for Potenza, but not rionero in vulture.

I dont want to subscribe to ancestry if they dont have this town. Can someone more familiar with searching there, take a look and let me know what they have for this town..or if they even have this town.

Thank you, so much.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: help-ancestry potenza records

Post by johnnyonthespot »

A search of the card index turns up only this for Potenza:
Source Information

Ancestry.com. Potenza, Basilicata, Italy, Civil Registration Records, 1861-1938 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2010.
Original data: Tribunali di Lagonegro e Potenza, Italy, Civil Registration Records, 1866-1938. Civil records collected from various towns throughout the province of Potenza, Basilicata, Italy.

About Potenza, Basilicata, Italy, Civil Registration Records, 1861-1938

This database contains births, marriages, marriage banns, deaths, allegati (enclosures or supplemental records), and citizenship records for comuni (towns) in the southern Italian province of Potenza from 1866-1938. Due to privacy laws of the Italian government, records that contain any information dated within the last 100 years (after 1910) cannot be displayed online. Death records, however, are exempt from this restriction and are available in this database through 1938. A copy or a certificate of a record can be requested from the local town hall. See samples of letters for requesting certificates in the learning center on this website.

The keeping of vital records for the unified Kingdom of Italy started in 1866. In the southern part of the country, formerly under the Kingdom of The Two Sicilies, it started in 1809 with the exception of Sicily in 1820.
Have you tried the updated FamilySearch.org website at http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsea ... tml#p=home ?

A quick search of records for "Rionero, Potenza, Italy" generates many pages of hits, no doubt from the same database.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Eleven »

No, I didnt try that, but I will.

When I clicked on some of the towns from the dropdown menu on ancestry for potenza and clicked on a town name..it seemed to me that they only had a little bit for the few towns I tried. Like one year..but, I didnt click to see what records they had for it.

I just found it odd that rionero wasnt included because thats a big town.
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Eleven »

Ok, I just tried the family search. What that is bringing up is passenger list records and deaths in the US.
tonymasiello

Post by tonymasiello »

I am a subscriber and I can confirm that the dropdown list you are seeing is the list of towns included and Rionero in Vulture is not among them.

I'm trying to find out if this collection is a work in progress or if this is all of the records that will ever be included. I'm interested in the town of Bella, which is on this list, but only includes Morti from 1923 forward.

Some of the older records that I browsed appear to be damaged and quite fragile looking. Makes me wonder if some volumes have not survived the years...