Help - has my search ended?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Help - has my search ended?

Post by maestra36 »

Christina
I went through the index first for the marriages. I looked under the letter V for the first name. That's how the index is set up, under first and not last names. Then I found the record. I can't promise this belongs to you, but I think it is a good chance that it does. See if you can find the original record and put the copy aside for now.

Also I see the word that looks like olini related to all the spouses, so when I wrote about the surname Oliva on the other thread, I think I was wrong. I just can't find that word, even in a singular form, in a Latin dictionary online and don't know what it means. It's been many years since I studied Latin, so I'm try to get reacquainted with the language.

Peg
dixiecricket13
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dixiecricket13 »

I think that the name was Vincentia/Vincenza Angelica. As I was scrolling through the baptismal entries I saw many people with a surname of Angelica, so I assumed that it was an oversight.

That original record is so very difficult to read!

I am not familiar with the familysearchlabs.org site; is it different information than the familysearch.org or family search pilot web sites?

Thanks again for your help. I was on the cusp of giving up; but I agree that the record you found is a good bet to be the right couple. I'll have to get you to help me for another relative when I finish getting my information from these relatives - that is if you'll help me :)

-Christina
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

maestra36 wrote:Also I see the word that looks like olini related to all the spouses, so when I wrote about the surname Oliva on the other thread, I think I was wrong. I just can't find that word, even in a singular form, in a Latin dictionary online and don't know what it means. It's been many years since I studied Latin, so I'm try to get reacquainted with the language.

Peg
I'm sure it doesn't help, but Olinia (with the final "a") seems to be related to small trees, as in "Olinia is a genus of small trees and shrubs with ten species, the sole genus in family Oliniaceae." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olinia
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Hi Carmine
Thanks for your imput. I have no idea. I feel that I need Luca to look over the document. It definitely is related to the word for "spouses" in these documents. I may not have even deciphered the script correctly for that particular word.
Peg
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Christina
I just went through all the baptism images for 1873 to 1884. I saw 6 infants with the name Francisca Salvagio and not one had the right parents. Anyway, I thought I'd save you the time of going through that group of records.

However, I did find a Nicolaus Salvaggio baptized in 1875. I think the father's name on the record was correct, but I need to look at it again.

We are obviously viewing the same records from the same website. You can access familysearchlabs.org from the familysearch.org website. It is the same as the pilot site. Anyway, the child I saw with the Nicolaus name is in the baptism records for 1873-1884, image #37 of 156 images. It is record #33. I am not sure if the mother's name was correct on this record. I do have to look at it more closely again, but not tonight.

Peg
dixiecricket13
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dixiecricket13 »

Thanks for looking through those records. I am puzzled about the daughter Frances. I am going to look after 1885 and see what I can find.

-Christina
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Christina
Don't give up in looking for Frances.

I found a sister named Joanna-record #3 dated Jan 4, 1870 (image 125 of 177 for years 1856-1873. Also found a brother named Vincent (record #79 dated Dec 1, 1872), image 167-177 in the same years.

I only started looking at this section for the years 1868 to the end of this section which goes to the beginning of 1873.

These two people had the right parents. Mother's name appears as Anna Romano and father as Bernardi Salvaggio. Surname is spelled with a double g on these records.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

johnnyonthespot wrote:
maestra36 wrote:Also I see the word that looks like olini related to all the spouses, so when I wrote about the surname Oliva on the other thread, I think I was wrong. I just can't find that word, even in a singular form, in a Latin dictionary online and don't know what it means. It's been many years since I studied Latin, so I'm try to get reacquainted with the language.

Peg
I'm sure it doesn't help, but Olinia (with the final "a") seems to be related to small trees, as in "Olinia is a genus of small trees and shrubs with ten species, the sole genus in family Oliniaceae." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olinia
Carmine
I found that the word with the word spouses was the Latin word "olim" which means formerly or once. The word denotes a deceased person. So the parents of the bride were deceased.
Peg
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Christina
I went through the 1885-1931 Indice Battesimi (which are the baptism indexes) for the records for the town (Campofiorito), and there are no children born to Bernard and Anna listed in the indexes for those years.

So, either Francesca was born a lot earlier than you thought, or maybe there was another parish in this town whose records are not online (you'd have to do some further research to determine that), or perhaps the family had relocated and she was born in another town. You can keep checking the records in those years in case all the indexes were not scanned and put online, and the records are still there, but I have no way of knowing if that is the case or not.

Peg
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

maybe helpful:

Bernardo Salvaggio and Anna Romano married the 4 Feb 1869 in Campofiorito;
index:
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/9701/b ... andann.jpg

marriage:
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/5847 ... rriage.jpg
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
dixiecricket13
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dixiecricket13 »

Hi -

I did some more research last night and found all of the parents, parents' birth dates, marriage records and grandparents for Bernardo/Bernardus/Bernardi Salvaggio and Anna Romano. The only detail that I am missing is Frances' birthday.

Could the American name Frances be a nickname for anything other than Francesca/Francisca?

-Christina
dixiecricket13
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dixiecricket13 »

Thank you for the marriage posting. I had recorded the year as 1864 but after looking again at your record, I see that I was off by 5 years!

Thank you!
Christina
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Christina
When I originally looked at the marriage record you posted on the other thread, I thought it was 1864. Thanks to suranj finding the info in the index, I see now that what I thought was a 4 on the record is actually a 9, so the correct marriage date is Feb 4, 1869 and not 1864. Thanks suranj.

Peg
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I also went through the baptism indexes for Bisacquino for the years 1885-1891, 1878-1885, and 1872 to 1878, and Francesca wasn't in any of those. You had mentioned that town, so I figured it was worth a try. There were no children born to Bernard and Anna in any of those indices.
dixiecricket13
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dixiecricket13 »

Thanks for trying with Bisacquino. All of the other relatives were from Biscaquino so that was where I had originally started my search for Frances; then I happened to come across something, or maybe it was something that you found, showing Campofiorito and everything else sort of fell into place, with regard to Frances' lineage. I just can't find her!

If you're up for another challenge, I have 1 last relative that I, again, can't find anything on in Bisacquino or anywhere else. Let me know if you're interesting in jumping off of the Salvagio/Salvaggio train and on to the Di Stefano/De Stefano/Destefano train.

-Christina