some questions

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
barbieq39

some questions

Post by barbieq39 »

Ok, so I have ordered micro films and have written letters to the fanna civil records requesting any info on my family. How much money do I send, and is an american personal check ok? Also I want to write to the Parish there. Not having much sucsess finding name of church in Fanna Udine . Thanks Barbara
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: some questions

Post by Tessa78 »

Found this listing for the Parish of S. Martin in Fanna

Parrocchia S. Martino
Via Montelieto, 24
33092 Fanna (PN)
Italy

T.

edited (Hi Peter :-) )
tel:

* 0427 77037
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Barbecue do you have the form letter in Italian to send to the Parish priest (if there is one since no telephone number is listed)? Please let us know. =Peter=
~Peter~
barbieq39

Post by barbieq39 »

Thanks Tessa and Peter. I printed out the letter to the paish priest and filled in my info. In Fanna, does it matter if Its mailed to Udine or Ponderone? Also can I send a US check?
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Go to the bank and buy some euros and send cash. It costs a fortune here to cash US or other cheques.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

It is my understanding that it is difficult to cash a personal check or U.S. postal money in Italy, but others who have sent money to parishes there can give you better advice. Years ago, I sent cash (but only a $5.00 bill) to two local parishes in Sicily and wrapped the money in an extra piece of printer paper. I also sent two international reply coupons which I purchased at a local post office for the parish priest in Italy to take to his local post office and exchange for postage stamps to mail his letter back to me. I received a number of records from one parish and never heard back from the other. A number of years ago, a cousin of mine wired money from Manhattan in the form of euros (amounting to $50 U.S. dollars) to a Western Union office close to a parish in the town of Benevento. He received several records from this particular parish and the priest even typed in Italian the records which were handwritten in the old Italian script. Personally I do not recommend sending cash, as it may be stolen in transit and never reach the intended recipient.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Ann
Depending on where you live in the U.S., and whether in a rural or major metropolitan area, it is not that simple to purchase euros at a local bank. Since I no longer live in the NYC metro area, the banks where I now live have to order the euros (I think it takes a week for them to get them) and they don't know the exchange rate you will get when they take your order. I also don't recall if they could or couldn't get you very small denominations. They also don't buy back unused ones, even if you are using them to travel abroad. My husband and I mail ordered for euros to a company in California last year (don't recall the name of it), were able to get smaller denominations, but there may have been a minimum amount to order that way.
Peg
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

It may be a problem but surely there are friends etc who come back from Europe with small bills. I live in Italy and believe me the problems here for the simplest things are sometimes insurmountable. I was recently asked by a Comune to send 65 euros IN CASH for records. They wouldn't accept any other form. It cost me 5 euro to register the letter.
It cost me 5 euro to cash a BANK DRAFT purchased in England and I had to wait until the money arrived before they would give it to me.
Read my book, it is an eye opener!
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.