Giovannetti

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Geneisus

Giovannetti

Post by Geneisus »

I am looking for my family in Italy. Rocco Giovanetti born c1880 came to Scotland between 1901 and 1906 and married a scots girl. His parents are Nicola Giovanetti and Louisa Lazzori. I believe they came from Carrara in Tuscany.

I have e-mailed (in italian) Carrara documents office 4 times with no reply and tried to phone but no-one spoke English.

Any ideas on how to trace their existence? :x
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Giovannetti

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello and welcome :-)

As you can see, there are several towns and villages with the name Carrara... Maybe your relatives came from a different Carrara than the one in Tuscany.

# Carrara, comune of Carrara - province: Massa-Carrara - region: Tuscany
# Carrara, comune of Fano - province: Pesaro-Urbino - region: Marche
# Carrara della Croce, comune of Canna - province: Cosenza - region: Calabria
# Carrara Ponte Nuovo, comune of Sermoneta - province: Latina - region: Lazio
# Carrara San Giorgio, comune of Due Carrare - province: Padova - region: Veneto
# Carrara Santo Stefano, comune of Due Carrare - province: Padova - region: Veneto

The LDS Family History Center has microfilms for several of these:
Carrara
Italy, Massa-Carrara, Carrara
Carrara San Giorgio
Italy, Padova, Carrara San Giorgio
Carrara Santo Stefano
Italy, Padova, Carrara Santo Stefano
Marina di Carrara
Italy, Massa-Carrara, Marina di Carrara
Massa-Carrara
Italy, Massa-Carrara
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... RTOF=italy

You may want to establish with certainty which "Carrara" they originated from...
If you are already certain it is the one in Tuscany, then you may want to rent the film from the FHC nearest you to view records.
FHC center has Civil records from 1866-1925 available to rent and view.
These include births, deaths, marriages, etc.
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... ++di++Carr++

To find the nearest FHC use this site...
www.familysearch.org

T.
Geneisus

Post by Geneisus »

Hi Tessa78

My family contacts say that it is definitely Carrara (where the marble comes from) therefore Tuscany.

I have looked on the Familysearch website for Giovanetti's in Carrara but cannot see any results that match.

I will contact my local FHC, I even have a contact there, so he may be able to help too.

Thanks for your reply.
Julie Craig

Post by Julie Craig »

I have been unable to get any info from Italy but may be related to you. All names and approx dates fit with the info I have. I have a copy of Rocco's certificate of marriage to his first wife (Elizabeth Sutherland) in 1906. I am a great granddaughter of Rocco's and live in Aberdeen.