I need the meaning of my last name for a tatoo! (Gannuscio)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Gannuscio

I need the meaning of my last name for a tatoo! (Gannuscio)

Post by Gannuscio »

I can't find the meaning or the origin, or anything of where my last name comes from. My family tells me it comes from Sicily, but I am not to sure. Can anyone please help me out? THanks!!!!!!!
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: I need the meaning of my last name for a tatoo! (Gannusc

Post by ptimber »

Gannuscio surname does not appear to be listed among the italian surnames and must be considered either locxal in origin to the town or area or "imported" as it were. It may very well be the surname may have originated centuries ago and the reason or menaing is lost in the mist of times or there may be some historical refernce somewhere. Try www.surnameweb.org for starters. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

You might want to look at www.google.com and insert Gannuscio genealogy in the title. There are 22 references to Gannuscio which will give you further perspective on your Tatoo. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I tyook the rare moment to look in the Italian word dictionary and since I am not an expert Iand can only conjecture, it would appear that the verb Gannire meaning to howl is also known as gagnolare (another verb having the same meaning) with the same description. There is another possiblity in the word Ganascia meaning jaw which is descriptive and in italian could be translated as Ganuscio. But this is only conjecture and food for thought and research. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Sorry......and in Sicilian could be translated as Ganuscio. Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Gannuscio wrote:I can't find the meaning or the origin, or anything of where my last name comes from. My family tells me it comes from Sicily, but I am not to sure. Can anyone please help me out? THanks!!!!!!!
Hi in the past sure existing Gannuscio surname in Sicily(Mazara del Vallo and Bisacquino -probable origin your ancestor-, and more ..)but currently is very rare, but present..in all Sicily are only 35 Gannuscio families http://paginebianche.virgilio.it/pb/cer ... ia&x=0&y=0
also are an version Cannuscio surname coming from same area..the meaning probable are an local dialectal word...
regards, suanj