Looking for Miglionico

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
linedoc

Looking for Miglionico

Post by linedoc »

I'm an amateur at all this, so I'm looking for help. I'm trying to trace my family back to Italy, and I've hit a brick wall. What I have is:

Pietro Miglionico, DOB 22 Apr 1864, arrived June 1888.
Married to Lucia Miglionico (Avallone), DOB Apr 1872, arrived 1891.

I'm pretty sure what's listed above is accurate. I don't know specifically where they came from in Italy, or any information about them other than what I've listed.

I'm not asking anyone to do the legwork for me necessarily...even just pointing me in the right direction would be a huge help. Like I said, I'm a newbie. Just started a few months ago, and try to make progress in my spare time.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Looking for Miglionico

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Hello and welcome!

This mapping tool ( http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/genera.html )shows where your surnames are most common in Italy today; based on the results, I think it fair to say there is a high likelyhood that your ancestors came from the Campania and/or Potenza regions of Italy. Unfortunately, that information is only just slightly helpful...

Also unfortunately, your ancestors arrived in the US at a time when passenger manifests stated the persons origin as little more than "Italy" (as opposed to later manifests which often give an accurate place of birth).

Have you actually found passenger manifests for them? Let us know before we put any energy into looking ourselves.

If your ancestors became naturalized US citizens - and depending on when they did so - their naturalization documents might show the place of birth (and marriage). Have you reserched this subject at all?

Where did your ancestors live in the US and in what years did they die?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Looking for Miglionico

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello :-)

As Carmine says the earlier manifests offer very little information... :-(

I noticed on Ancestry that there is a family tree started for Pietro and Lucia Miglionico. Is that your tree?

There are several records quickly available from Ancestry when searching for Pietro Miglionico including the 1900, 1910 Censuses; Pietro's Naturalization Index Card; and the manifest for his arrival in June 1888 on the SS Zaandam into NY.

If you are looking to search Italian documents, you will need to first find out the exact town of birth for Pietro and Lucia. Records are held at the local town (comune) level.
We can point you to resources for requesting records from Italy, and for searching records that are available from LDS Family History Center.

T.