Surnames: Pullano, Lurgio, Calabrese

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Tennis17

Surnames: Pullano, Lurgio, Calabrese

Post by Tennis17 »

Hi all,

I've started to research my family and have hit a few walls. I'm looking for information on the following: Pullano: My Great-grandfather Rosario Pullano came to america between 1886 and 1888. He was young about 12. I have an older family and most have passed away. All that is remembered is that Rosario was from a big family somewhere between 15 and 20 kids. When he arrived in America, he settled in Chicago. Most of us remember him being from the Calabria area.

Rosario married Carmela Lurgio. Her parents, Cataldo Lurgio and Angelina (Calabrese) Lurgio came to American around 1880. The were both from Oliveto Citra, Salerno, Italy.

If any one can offer some advice I would appreciate it, or if someone can offer some insight on Oliveto Citra, that would be great too.

Thanks,
Joelyn
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Surnames: Pullano, Lurgio, Calabrese

Post by ptimber »

There is a website for Oliveto Citra. Go to www.comuni.it and inseret the name in thelower right and click when listing appears. You can e-mailk to the town officials since,as you know, there are no civil records on file with the family history library of the mormon church so you wiull need to know fulkl names and year of birth in order to obtain documents. You must have reviewed the ellis island records and worked backwards. Please be specific as to what you want so that we don';t reinvent the wheel here. Peter
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Hi......

Could not find him in the passenger lists...could be he came in through another port then NY, his name is spelled wrong, or if his entire family came with him, he was listed by his mother's maiden name which often happened.

A couple of things. The census indicated he arrived in 1888/89. He was naturalized in 1900 so you can find this paperwork. In addition, his first papers...the declaration of intent....should be available as well as the naturalization papers and should list when he arrived, the name of the boat, and where he was born. It might list his parents as well in the D of Intent.

In 1900 Chicago, there is also a Vincenzo Pullano listed who arrived the same time and whose first son is named Frank. Could be that Rosario's father is Francesco as his first son is Frank as well. Maybe Vincenzo and Rosario are cousins or brothers....

You can contact the NARA for info on the Naturalization. OR you can try the Family History Library for Chicago naturalizations on microfilm. Go to www.familysearch.org for a listing for Chicago naturalizations.

Good Luck
Tennis17

Post by Tennis17 »

Essgee wrote:Hi......

Could not find him in the passenger lists...could be he came in through another port then NY, his name is spelled wrong, or if his entire family came with him, he was listed by his mother's maiden name which often happened.

A couple of things. The census indicated he arrived in 1888/89. He was naturalized in 1900 so you can find this paperwork. In addition, his first papers...the declaration of intent....should be available as well as the naturalization papers and should list when he arrived, the name of the boat, and where he was born. It might list his parents as well in the D of Intent.

In 1900 Chicago, there is also a Vincenzo Pullano listed who arrived the same time and whose first son is named Frank. Could be that Rosario's father is Francesco as his first son is Frank as well. Maybe Vincenzo and Rosario are cousins or brothers....

You can contact the NARA for info on the Naturalization. OR you can try the Family History Library for Chicago naturalizations on microfilm. Go to www.familysearch.org for a listing for Chicago naturalizations.

Good Luck
Thanks for the help on that. The story is that Rosario came by himself, my grandfather, his son Joe is still alive and does not remeber any other relation being around. I've already check all passanger lists from NY and New Orleans. I thought maybe there would be someone else out there looking for Pullano too. As for immigration papers, yes I know about that, I have a grandfather on my mom's side (polish) who I'm in the process of getting papers for. The problem is that Rosario was naturalized before 1906. I will check the Chicago info, thanks. The unfortunate thing is I don't live there anymore, I'm doing all of this from Los Angeles.

Thanks to all.

Peter,
I thanks for the web site, I know the Mormon church has nothing on this side of the family. I was just looking for anyone who maybe was exploring that town or the name Lurgio, because it is an uncommon name.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Try www.surnameweb.org if google does not have anything. Peter
JPSK

Post by JPSK »

I am looking for PULLANO also. I have ROSARIO (ROSE) PULLANO, born August 28, 1887. She married SALVATORE PASSANTE, born October 2, 1880 who was from Catanzara. They emigrated to NJ, and I come up with nothing when I search for them.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Patti Marino
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

In Italy all records are in the town of origin. Catanzaro is a city and capital of a province. Many people say catanzaro to identify the area they came from but their town of origin may be one of the small towns or villages in the proivnce of Catanzaro. Do you know for certain the town or city of origin for your Pullano??? Peter