Current Surname- Earabino seeking help please?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Midnyte

Current Surname- Earabino seeking help please?

Post by Midnyte »

First, I must say I am very happy to find this site. I have been trying to trace my father's side of the family back. His father's side to be exact.

There is little known about my grandfather's parents due to problems in the family and with my grandfather's death years ago, I cannot ask him anything.

The surname now is Earabino, however I was told something about the last name being changed. We are not sure if my aunt meant legally changed from what it was before, or changed when my grandfather's family came from Italy. We think that they came from a place called Urbino.

I am having trouble finding a place to begin at, can someone help me?

Thank you in advance.
~ you never know when you're making a memory~
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Current Surname- Earabino seeking help please?

Post by ptimber »

Without a correct name it is difficult. Have you tried any variations of the name in the ellis island website? Have you tried to locate any naturalziation records reflectinga name change? Can you locate any document or record or even an address in Urbino? Peter
Midnyte

Post by Midnyte »

As my mom and I were talking last night about my dad's side, I know that she said they came from a place called Urbino and when going through customs, it was changed alot. I looked it up on the Ellis Island website but there were alot. I do not know where to begin because no one will speak about it all. My dad doesn't even know where his father was born.

It's frustrating.

How do I find out where Urbino is? I am so new I kinda feel newborn at this lol
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi exist in Italy: TARABINO and IARRAPINO similar...regards, suanj

PS: Also Carrabino (tipically of Sicily region), Cerabino(tipically of Puglia region)... you know year of emigration your ancestor?
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

you might go to www.nara.gov and in where is box click genealogy,click forms to order records, click NATF form81 for all passenger arrivals in USA. Furnish all the possible spelling since URBINO is the town of origin and thats all you really need for a check since in Italy all records are in the town of origin and if NARA USA gives you correct spelling and confirms town your in!! Peter
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

If you can give us the name of your grandfather...first and last, approximate year of birth, and where in the US he lived, we might be able to find him in the census and then back track to the Ellis Island passenger lists. The name of his wife and children would help as well....

Let us know and we will see if we can get you to the town of origin........
Midnyte

Post by Midnyte »

Anthony Earabino
Born: July 25, 1914
lived: Newburyport, MA and Seabrook, NH
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Anthony Earabino born 7/24/1914 died in Rockingham Massachusetts in May 1988. If you go to the www.ssdi.genealogy.rootsweb.com you can bring up his record and if you wish you can click under the SS-5 for a copyof his application which will have all the vital information as to place of birth and parents names., Perhaps essgee will obtain the information from the census records with this information as well. Peter
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Well...something, but not enough, I know.

Anthony was born in Massachusetts.

In the 1920 census of Massachusetts, Essex.
Errbino, Angelo, age 42 (???), born Italy, arrived in 1902, alien, coal yard worker
--------, Mary, age 58( think Angelo's and Mary's ages transposed), arrived 1902, alien, born Italy
--------, Patrick, age 16, born MA.
--------, Manuella, age 14, born MA.
--------, Samuel, age 11, born NH.
--------, Ca----?, daughter, age 10, born MA
--------, Rosie, age 7, born MA
--------, Tony, age 5, born MA

In 1930
Earribino, Angelo, age 66, married at 15 , arrived in 1904????
----------, Maria, age 48, married at 20????
----------, Antonio, age 16, born MA.

I do think the ages in 1920 are mixed...think Mary is age 42 . I cannot find them in 1910...tried just be first name every Angelo in New Hampshire and MAssachusetts with no luck.... Name must be really off.
Other possibles:
Arbino
Arribeno
Urbino

No passenger record..but they could have come in through the Port of Boston. You can contact the NARA in Waltham, MA. Go to the NARA.gov site and search for Waltham branch link. You can e-mail your request directly to that branch and they will get back to you.

If you can find a death record for Angelo or a cemetery record...maybe buried in the same place that Anthony is buried, you might be able to find out the place of birth. While the social security card of Anthony would help if he had been born out of the US, now it would probably not help locate the place of origin of the family.

Angelo is the key. Arrival between 1902 and 1904. Unless he became a citizen after 1930, there is no indication he ever applied prior to 1930. If you could locate the maiden name of Angelo's wife, it could help.

Do you have any names of cousins or aunts and uncles? Have you contacted them? They may be able to help. Since Peter indicated that Anthony died in 1988...what family member was in charge of the funeral??
The funeral home might have buried Angelo as well...even if it was many years earlier...or the mother....families tend to stay with the same group over time. Who had the register for people attending the funeral? This lists name of cousins and others whose name may not be familiar. But if you locate this record, often someone can help tell you who these people are....sometimes, it will help.....

Sorry I could not find the place, but I will see if I can find anything else.

Good Luck......
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Should nothing else come up then perhaps obtaining the social security erecord may be the way to go on the assumption that the question as to place of birth may have been answered by himn with the name of the town as well as Italy. TYhe cost for this copy of the ss-5 application is about $30.00. Peter
Midnyte

Post by Midnyte »

Thank you all so much for your help.

I do know my grandfather had a sister, Mae. Would that help in looking up information? Born Oct 30, 1905, died Nov 9, 1992. She was married to Raymond Patriarca, then later on at some point was divorced and married Vincent Fuda. Patriarca was head of the Italian Mafia till 1984 when he died.
She lived in Providence Rhode Island. Ill fill out the paper to get the SSI information on him next week when Ill have extra money. It's tight lately.

Thanks for your help.
I know he had another sister, and a brother as well. Ill see if I can find those names.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

we are here! peter
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Midnyte wrote:Thank you all so much for your help.

I do know my grandfather had a sister, Mae. Would that help in looking up information? Born Oct 30, 1905, died Nov 9, 1992. She was married to Raymond Patriarca, then later on at some point was divorced and married Vincent Fuda. Patriarca was head of the Italian Mafia till 1984 when he died.
She lived in Providence Rhode Island. Ill fill out the paper to get the SSI information on him next week when Ill have extra money. It's tight lately.

Thanks for your help.
I know he had another sister, and a brother as well. Ill see if I can find those names.
Couple of things...Raymond is still at home in 1930...so not sure when Mae married him. I think Mae is Manuella. Do you know if they were married in MA or in RI? Will continue to check here.........

Do not send for the SSDI paperwork...Again, Anthony was born in the US. It will not give you a clue to where in Italy his parents came from...You are going to have to track back the father, Angelo, and he probably never had a social security card.

Right now you need to find out where Angelo is buried...send letters to the cemetery and see what info they have. If they have a date of death, you might find an obituary.

But if money is tight, do not send for the other record. It would be nice to have eventually, but probably will not give more info that will get you somewhere at this point in time. Had Anthony been born in Italy this would be the way to go, but since he was born in the US, not much help.
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

This might help with some names...

The Obituary of Manuella E. "Mae" Fuda

living at 982 Branch Ave., Age 87,
Born in Saugus, Ma. She was the daughter of Angelo Earabino and Maria (Covello) Earabino. She lived in Providence from 1920...

At the time of the obit...a sister, Rose DiBenedetto was still alive in Lawerence MA...and I don't see Rose in the SSDI...could she still be alive?
Think Rose's husband was named Albert...not sure. But he is listed in the index and she is not, so a possible that she is living.
Her Brother Samuel Earabino was still alive in Paramus NJ. And brothers, Patrick, Anthony Earabino and a sister Cabina Rogers, had all died before her.

It listed no children...and she was buried in Rhode Island Veterans Cemetery.

I tried to find Maria Covello in the passenger records..no luck. But you can contact the NARA for the passenge records...............

Back later if I find more.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Just to refresh your memory..go to www.nara.gov and then at the top where it says "where is" click genealogy and then click forms to order records and then click NATF form 81 (passenger arrivals records). Peter