Gatto

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
c6mitchell
Rookie
Rookie

Gatto

Post by c6mitchell »

I am interested in finding information about my paternal grandmother. This is what I believe I know:
Name: Francesca Gatto
DOB : 12 May 1869
Immigration: about 1890 Lived in Scranton PA
Married: Giuseppe Longo I believe in PA abt 1891
Giuseppe b 16 Jun 1865 in Termini, died 15 Jul 1910 in Utica, NY
Came to Utica NY to live about 1895
when she died 30 Jan 1915 she had one brother in Warren Pa, two sisters living in Chicago, two in Pittsburg according to the brief obit. Possible names are Guiseppe and Rosa but not really sure.

I have a lot of information about her children, etc but really know little about her. Have never found her on Ellis Island. My father was quite young when she died so never really knew his parents. I see that there are some expert researchers in this forum so I am interested to see what you will find.

Carolyn
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Gatto

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Carolyn :-)

For reference....

Is this your PGM family?
Joseph and Frances Long in Utica NY in 1900

If yes, they have given birthdates that are slightly different from what you have posted above...
Joseph - Dec. 1867
Frances - April 1870
Marriage year 1890
Immigration year 1895...

You have saved this record to My Ancestry (Shoebox). Remove
This record has been added to your shoebox.
1900 United States Federal Census
about Joseph Long
Name: Joseph Long
Home in 1900: Utica Ward 5, Oneida, New York
Birth Date: Dec 1867
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1895
Relationship to Head of House: Head
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Spouse's name: Frances Long
Marriage Year: 1890
Marital Status: Married
Years Married: 10
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Joseph Long 32
Frances Long 31
Annie Long 7
Frank Long 2
James Long 3
Josephine Long 3
Mary Long 2
Josephine Gentile 21 Boarder
Vincenso Purpura 21 Boarder

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Possible manifest for Giuseppe Longo, 1896
Age 30, destination Utica.

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/7124/l ... nifest.jpg

T.
c6mitchell
Rookie
Rookie

Post by c6mitchell »

Thank you Tessa. The census you found for 1900 in Utica is the correct family. I don't know why the DOB differs from my records but the ages of the children are not all correct either. I looked through my file and I believe the birth dates of Giuseppe and Francesca were given to me by family members. (Need to find the tombstone picture I have) I had never found the manifest that you found. It appears to be him but there were 3 different Longo families in Utica that were not related. Giuseppe also returned to Italy for health reasons and came back to the US May 17, 1910 on the Martha Washington. I also found him as Giuseppe Langa arriving March 29, 1890 on the Giava. I have never found Francesca on a manifest.

I went to school with a girl who had the same name as me, lived across the street from my aunt and uncle but their surname had been changed (they said at Ellis, but more than likely it was changed before then). And there was another Longo family not far away, so it gets confusing!

I have a lot of information on my Longo side, but know little about the Gatto side.

Thank you.
Carolyn
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Carolyn,

Yes, you have your work cut out for you! I came across MANY Giuseppe Longo listings in manifests!

I did find some Gatto/Gatta/Gatti listings with Francesca/Francesco/F. but those early manifests make it difficult to "connect" them because there is so little information in the manifest.

Will continue to look - as will others here at the forum.
Have never found her on Ellis Island.
You might also consider that people arrived in many different ports: Philadelphia, New Orleans, Baltimore, etc. They also arrived by crossing the border from Canada and Mexico after arriving by ship in those countries... Don't give up the search :-)

T.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Longo is an extremely common Italian name, both in Italy ( http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/gen ... nome=LONGO ) and in the US ( http://www.gens-us.net/map/genera.html?cognome=LONGO ); this can make research very difficult.

Also, keep in mind that birth dates shown on tombstones (and on death certificates) were often wrong, especially for older individuals. There was no checking of these details; the dates were supplied from memory by next-of-kin at the time of death.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)