Ambrosino & Allocca

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mousie206

Ambrosino & Allocca

Post by mousie206 »

Looking for info on Salvatore Ambrosino and his wife Maria Allocca.

They came from Naples to Brooklyn, NY in 1898.

Salvatore's parents were Michael Ambrosino and Concetta who died in childbirth. His 2nd wife was Carmela Franzese. Salvatore had many brothers including Erasmus Ambrosino who also came to Brooklyn.

Maria's parents were Joseph Allocca and Catherine Alfieri. Maria had 18 brothers.

Any information would be appreciated.

Marie
civileng00@juno.com
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Ambrosino & Allocca

Post by ptimber »

Dear Marie if you go to the www.ellisisland.org website and look up their arfrivals in the USA you can locate the town of origin in Italy if you don't already know it. Then you go to the Family History Librarey of the Mormon church and rent out the micorfilm of civil records for the town of origin which usually go back to 1809. Thus ytour researches will uncover all memebrs of the family and you can trace births,marriages and deaths as well as family composiiton. The fee too rent the microfilm is nominal and you will experience many hours of enjoyment uncovering your family. Peter
mousie206

Post by mousie206 »

I have searched Ellis Island for days. No one with their names have the right age and/or year they came over (I mean not even close). Also they had 2 children in Italy who came with them and I can't find them either.

As for the library...I went to the 2 family centers that are near me and the people looked at me like I had 10 heads and I won't be getting to Utan any time soon.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

It may very well be that they entered the USA at a port other than ellisisland in NYC. Go to www.nara.gov and in the top "where is" box click genealogy and then click forms to order records and then click NATF form 81 which is passenger arrivals records for the entire USA. Peter.....but what is this about 10 heads... What did you ask them for? Peter
mousie206

Post by mousie206 »

I would be really surprised if they didn't come through Ellis Island since their son paid to have their names on the wall. I was thinking the manifest may have been destroyed.

The center near me are located within a regular public library. I walked in and asked to be directed to the history center and no one knew what I was talking about. They called over the head librarian and she didn't know what I meant and I was even there during designated hours.

I tried the next county b/c my aunt is a librarian and she had no clue either.

But I think I'm going to try a 3rd county that I didn't go to before b/c the hours were odd.

So we'll see....
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Records were not destroyed. Do you know the name of the ship the journeyed on to the USA? Elllis Island records started in 1892 and you sid they came in 1898 so they would have to show up somewhere.

When you went to the "library" did you call up the Mormon church and ask them where their family history library is located?? or did you just go to the nearest public library? Since when does the Mormon church have their family history library in a public library?? You had better double check. Peter
mousie206

Post by mousie206 »

I got the address of the library off of the Family Search Website.

I don't know what ship they came over on. I put in a search for their names and went through each one that came up but none seemed even close to the information I have.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

something is wrong Here. Peter
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Back to step one...

I found a Salvatore Ambrosino in Brooklyn, but not sure this is the right individual......

And Maria doesn't help either....

What is the name of the children born in Italy. If we can find the family in the census, it will give us more clues to the entery date....

How do you know they arrived in 1898?

I found no Erasmus...unusual name for an Italian...was he called something different here?

The Family History Library is a part of the LDS Church and it's branches are usually found within a church building. You cannot find the records without a town of origin. Lots of people left the port of Naples so we cannot be sure Naples was the home town...unless you have more proof.

Let us know and we will check the census and see if we can back it into the passenger records............
mousie206

Post by mousie206 »

There are a ton of Salvatore Ambrosinos out there.

The 2 children were Carmela (b. 1892) and Micholina (b. 1882) officially but they were called Laura and Katie.

Micholina may have been born in England though. They had another child - Joseph - and they went to England to try and save him from some epidemic but he died anyway. They had to stay in England to get money to go back to Italy.

Salvatore and Maria were married in 1878.

I was always told they were from Naples. I don't know if they were born elsewhere and moved there. I found a lot of Ambrosinos from Procida though so I may try that next.

I know they came over in 1898 from their son Michael. He's been right about everything else so far. I have checked other years for the passenger lists but then none of the ages match up.

I did find an Erasmus spelled Erasmao on a passenger list but have no idea if it's him.

I found a living Erasmus in Brooklyn. I was thinking of contacting him b/c like you said it is an unusual name.

Thanks for your help.

Marie
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Found this:

Kings Co., Brooklyn, NY
ED 213, page 30B Living at 17 Jackson Street
Ambrosino, Salvatore, born March 1867, age 33, married 12 years,
born Italy arrived 1892, been here 8 years, 1st papers
applied for, works in grocery store
---------, Maria, born Jan. 1867, age 33, married 12 years, had 6 children
4 children living, born NY, arrived 1892, House work
---------, Carmela, born Jan 1894, age 6, born NY
---------, Concetta, born Aprl 1895, age 5 born NY
---------, Micheline, born Dec. 1896, age 3, born NY
---------, Pepina, born Dec 1898, age 1, born NY
---------, Felice, born Nov, 1860, age 39, brother, born Italy

Living at 15 Jackson Street: Page 30A ED 213
Allocca, Giuseppe, born Dec. 1842, age 58, married for 35 years,
born Italy, arrived 1899, laborer
-------, Concetta, born Sept 18443, age 56, married for 35 years,
had 13 children 7 children living, born Italy, arrived 1899,
House work
-------, Salvatore, born Sep 1872, age 27, born Italy, arrived 1897,
Tin Factory
-------, Felice, born Jan, 1874, age 26, born Italy, arrived 1897,
Tin Factory
-------, Angelo, born Jan 1879, age 21, born Italy, arrived 1897,
Tin Factory
-------, Pasquale, born Dec. 1881, age 18, born Italy, arrived 1892, barber
-------, Giuseppe, born Feb., 1883, age 18, born Italy, arrived 1897,
Tin Factory
-------, Andrea, born Sept., 1884, age 15, born Italy, arrived 1897,
Tin Factory
-------, Carminie, born Jan 1886, age 14, born Italy, arrived 1899,
Tin Factory

In 1910:
ED 298, page 5A, living at 238 Union Avenue
Ambrosino, Salvatore, age 41, arrived 1888, reatil merchant, groceries
Naturalization Papers still not finished
------------, Mary, age 41, arrived 1888
------------, Loretta, age 17
------------, Margaret, age 13,
------------, Josephine, age 11
------------, Michael, age 3
Next door:
Ambrosino, Philip, age 41, arrived 1903, Laborer, street work
------------, Rose, age 30, arrived 1904
------------, Carmella, age 2
------------, Filomena, age 6 months
There is a Carmine Alocco listed as living in the same building...but age is 39...not sure where he belongs.

1920 living at 238 Union Avenue, ED 839, page 13B Brooklyn, Kings, NY
Ambrosino, Salvatore, age 55, married, arrived 1888, alien born Italy
---------, Mary, age 54, married, arrived 1888, alien, born Italy
---------, Josephine, age 19, born NY
---------, Michael, age 13, born NY
---------, Frances, age 7, born NY
Carmine Allocco still lives same place

S. Abrosino, age 25
M. Allocca, age 24
G. Ambrosino, age 2
All arrived on the ship Australia to New York on 9 Oct. 1890, leaving from the port of Naples. No town listed.

I had already seen Erasmo in the passenger records....
I think that his home town was Saviano...and that is a town where the name Ambrosino and the name Allocca are both present in the records. It is a small town in the Province of Naples, north north east of the city of Naples. I think I would start my search there.......

Hope this helps........If there is more we can check, let us know.....
mousie206

Post by mousie206 »

Thank you so much for the info. The listings in Union Ave make sense. Salvatore did own a grocery store and the ages of Michael and Frances add up. I guess they came in 1888 not 1898.

Thanks again,

Marie
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

You are most welcome.

Note also that the child Giuseppe...Joseph...apparently came with them. And he apparently died before 1900. You may be able to find out something about him....

It is possible, however, that he was a second son named Joseph...and the first one died as well. Not unusual for Italians to name the next child the same as the child that died. So your Michael's story might still be accurate....they could have left America and returned in 1898...that is possible as well.

Have a great day
mousie206

Post by mousie206 »

There were 3 sons named Joseph that died. One is buried in Calvary Cemetery so that very well could be him.

Do you know if I can find the ship records for 1888?
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

mousie206 wrote:There were 3 sons named Joseph that died. One is buried in Calvary Cemetery so that very well could be him.

Do you know if I can find the ship records for 1888?
The acutaly copy is at Ancestry in their records. If you have trouble with access, I can try and e-mail.....mine is hrw3@worldnet.att.net

Let me know.[/img]