What can you tell me about "Ninco Nanco"?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
montclaire
Veteran
Veteran

What can you tell me about "Ninco Nanco"?

Post by montclaire »

Looking for some history on Giuseppe Nicola Summa, aka "Ninco Nanco." I have found a little on one website in particular but it's written in 'broken Italian' and doesn't translate that well.

http://www.brigantaggio.com/sitoninco.htm
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: What can you tell me about "Ninco Nanco"?

Post by Tessa78 »

montclaire
Veteran
Veteran

Post by montclaire »

We're getting there. Haha Still a little rough but a lot better. Has his genealogy been traced?
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

On this italian genealogy forum a person (Cristiana) did some researches about Ninco Nanco.
She told me that Ninco Nanco's parents were Domenico Summa and Anna Coviello, he for sure had one brother and one sister, He wasn't married but he had a friend, she believe that he didn't had children.

This is the discussion in italian:
http://www.tuttogenealogia.it/index.php ... sc&start=0

See also this:
http://www.salandrascrive.com/2006/N_17 ... gina_7.pdf

Laura
montclaire
Veteran
Veteran

Post by montclaire »

Pink, I think we're up against a language barrier here, but I see that you're communicating with Christian on the other forum, so would you mind translating for us?

Here's what I have from a genealogical standpoint, maybe Christian will spot a similarity. The oldest Summa I have listed is a Marco Summa who was born somewhere around 1860. He married a Maria Giovanna Lovito and they had six children, Dominic, Andrew C., Rosa Maria, William, Donato, and Antonio.

Ninco Nanco was born in 1833 and killed in 1864, so it would be possible for Marco's father (unknown) to be a brother or cousin to Ninco, or to be a son as Marco's mother is also unknown as of now (although is sounds as though Ninco had no children). There is a strong family resemblance to the photo of Ninco Nanco so I am assuming there will be a connection somewhere.

My father's uncle had told him once that his grandfather (maybe great grandfather?) had been cut up and put in a barrel. Might be a whole other story there. Haha
montclaire
Veteran
Veteran

Post by montclaire »

I also wanted to note that they must have really wanted this guy dead if they actually took a photograph of his body to prove it in 1864. I'm surprised that they even had a camera in rural Southern Italy in the 1860s.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

The oldest Summa I have listed is a Marco Summa who was born somewhere around 1860. He married a Maria Giovanna Lovito and they had six children, Dominic, Andrew C., Rosa Maria, William, Donato, and Antonio.
This is the death act of Marco Summa:

Death Act number 228 year 1891
Marco Summa, age 35, farmer, son of the late Domenico and of the late Vita Crescenzia Sangela? , husband of Maria Giovanna Lovito died in Avigliano on 25 june 1891 in his house on Marchetti Street number 6.

image, from Ancestry.com:

http://postimage.org/image/2qeq3jfic/

Cristiana wrote me that her ancestors were not related with Ninco Nanco...

Laura
montclaire
Veteran
Veteran

Post by montclaire »

Wow, that's tough to make out! Is Sangela an Avigliano name? Might need some further digging... Thanks for posting that!
montclaire
Veteran
Veteran

Post by montclaire »

Might need to find the marriage record to confirm that. Sangeli maybe?
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

montclaire wrote:Wow, that's tough to make out! Is Sangela an Avigliano name? Might need some further digging... Thanks for posting that!
Correct lastname of Marco's mother is Colangela/Colangeli.

Laura
montclaire
Veteran
Veteran

Post by montclaire »

pink67 wrote:Correct lastname of Marco's mother is Colangela/Colangeli.

Laura
That's absolutely correct. Ha! I see it now, reading some of this old script is a hobby in itself.
montclaire
Veteran
Veteran

Post by montclaire »

Laura, did you have any luck with Christian? I didn't see any new posts on the Italian site that you linked to but you had said you were emailing each other. I think I've dead-ended on the Ancestry records due to the small time span that they have available.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

pink67 wrote:On this italian genealogy forum a person (Cristiana) did some researches about Ninco Nanco.
She told me that Ninco Nanco's parents were Domenico Summa and Anna Coviello, he for sure had one brother and one sister, He wasn't married but he had a friend, she believe that he didn't had children.

This is the discussion in italian:
http://www.tuttogenealogia.it/index.php ... sc&start=0

See also this:
http://www.salandrascrive.com/2006/N_17 ... gina_7.pdf

Laura
These are the only news that Cristiana (female :D ) told me... She wasn't able to determine if Ninco Nanco was related to her family...
And that Summa was a very common lastname...

Laura
montclaire
Veteran
Veteran

Post by montclaire »

Sorry about that, for whatever reason google langauge tools change gender a lot.

I'll have to keep digging as I get the opportunity, I suppose. I'd rather that I find the same and that there isn't an actual relationship there, but the resemblence is pretty strong and I suspect it's just a matter of connecting the dots.

The genetics may also have come from the mother's side instead of the fathers - how many generations later can features still repeat so strongly? As more time elapses and the photographic record is built up, we may be surprised at the answer.
Cristiana

Post by Cristiana »

Hi, i'm Cristiana :)
I agree with you, i think there is a connection too...but i haven't found official documents. I think that Ninco Nanco's relatives hide their connection to prevent reprisals of the national guard.
In my family, Summa relatives tell that Ninco Nanco was our ancestor.