reasoning for double surnames?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
HVeneziano

reasoning for double surnames?

Post by HVeneziano »

My ggrandfathers last name was Veneziano Broccia. When I searched for family in favara (where he was from) with that last name I found that there are quite a few. Also his father and grandfather also had that last name which rules out it being a combination of his mother and fathers surnames. Does anyone have any ideas on why my family would use two surnames instead of just one?
thanks
HVeneziano
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: reasoning for double surnames?

Post by suanj »

HVeneziano wrote:My ggrandfathers last name was Veneziano Broccia. When I searched for family in favara (where he was from) with that last name I found that there are quite a few. Also his father and grandfather also had that last name which rules out it being a combination of his mother and fathers surnames. Does anyone have any ideas on why my family would use two surnames instead of just one?
thanks
HVeneziano
Hi: causes:
1-when, in the past, both the spouses were nobles; they let both last names for a issue of noble titles
2-when, in the past, an ancestor it had been affiliated from a family (was not an orphaned child, but also remaining with the last name of genetic father, it assumed also the last name of the father who grew it..father that it affiliated it dealing it like son...)
3- in the past, when not was the complete birthregistries, she happened that a family went to live in a near city, where already existing families with same surname... in order to distinguish (this family new not original of Common), from the original family of Common, (and that had same last name), they added last name also of wife, in order to distinguish the two families...
regards, suanj(hoping clair..my english is bad)