Evasive CAFARELLI Records & Ideas for Church/Cemetery in

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Evasive CAFARELLI Records & Ideas for Church/Cemetery in

Post by lcafarel »

This list has been so helpful--so, here are a couple more questions!

I've been trying to find death and burial records for my husband's g-grandparents, Vincenzo/Vincent (born 1855) and Grazia/Grace CAFARELLI (born 1860). They came to the U.S. in 1893 and lived first on the Lower East Side of New York. By 1910, they had moved to 584 15th St., West New York, Hudson County, NJ, just across the Hudson River from NYC.

A letter from my husband's grandfather Nicholas John Cafarelli, an attorney, to his niece referencing what was probably Grazia's estate (it just mention's "Grandma") is dated February 1939, so she must have died within the few years before that. She was a widow at the time. I can't find any death records or a 1930 census with their names and thought I'd ask for suggestions before I send away for vital records (especially since I need to get two other birth certificates first).

I've also been looking through listings on the New Jersey Genealogy website to try to find burial or church records, but haven't found anything. Does anyone have suggestions of which church or cemetery might be ones to check for that area of Hudson Country?

A related question: My husband's grandfather, Nicholas J. Cafarelli and his wife lived in Bergen County and were buried in St. Catharine's Cemetery in Monmouth County. Any idea what Catholic church they may have attended?

Thanks so much!
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Evasive CAFARELLI Records & Ideas for Church/Cemeter

Post by adelfio »

What you could do is go to the cemetery annd ask for the info of the funeral home they used should be on there records and they should have the church they used where they lived.

Marty A
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lcafarel »

I'm way across the country, so going to the cemetery isn't an option, but I can see if I can find any contact information for the cemetery. Thanks for the suggestion.
Michael31
Master
Master

Post by Michael31 »

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gs&
CAFARELLI in New Jersey

Saint Catharine's Cemetery
Sea Girt
Monmouth County
New Jersey USA
Phone: 732-449-5756

Our Lady of Victories Cemetery
Also known as: Saint Mary
Landisville
Atlantic County
New Jersey USA

George Washington Memorial Park
234 Paramus Rd
Paramus
Bergen County
New Jersey USA
Postal Code: 07652
Phone: (201) 652-4300
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

This is a possible 1930 census for Grace Cafarelli:

1930 United States Federal Census

Name: Chase Cafesalle
Home in 1930: West New York, Hudson, New Jersey
View Map
Estimated birth year: abt 1860
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Race: White

Education:

Military Service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Chase Cafesalle 70 head, female, widow, immigr. year 1890
Anthony Valera 20 nephew
Juliet Valera 22 niece

Laura
lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lcafarel »

Laura, I had not received a notification of your posting and just discovered it. You are absolutely correct! All the names were written incorrectly, as well as the relationships of Anthony and Juliette to Grace, their grandmother.

Thank you so much!

I still cannot find a 1930 census for Anthony and Juliette's mother, Giulietta (or Juliette) Cafarelli Varula. She was a widow by then and a costume designer on Broadway. At some point, she married Leonard Doak and settled in Greenwich Village, NY. I can't find a census record for him either. I wonder if your luck--or better yet, your smarts--will enable you to find them. I would be very grateful.

Lesley