CAFARELLI/CAFARELLA Birth Records from Laurenzana, Potenza

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

CAFARELLI/CAFARELLA Birth Records from Laurenzana, Potenza

Post by lcafarel »

If anyone is interested, I have just finished transcribing all CAFARELLIS and CAFARELLAS with their registry numbers listed in the 1866-1910 Indice Annuale Nascite and Indice Annuale Matrimoni from Laurenzana, Potenza, Basilicata. If you are searching for family with these surnames, send me a private message with your email address, and I can either search the list for you or send it along.

I'm just beginning to search the Atti for the matching entries. If you're looking for Cafarellis or Cafarellas in the province of Caserta, Campania, I'm also searching records for towns in that province.
anerio

Re: CAFARELLI/CAFARELLA Birth Records from Laurenzana, Poten

Post by anerio »

Both of these names and other related ones are probably from the same roots..Cafa or Cafar... meaning "Infidel" in Arabic and Italian dialect. My interest is in just how my branch evolved from the others...Or how did they evolve from ours!
The funny thing is, the Parco Caffarella outside Rome was the home property of the Caffarelli, but the main monument in the park was referred to as La Cafarella...the last is my mother's name.
We are from Salina in the Aeolians, but have roots on the mainland. Some in my family went to Calabria from the islands in the 19th C but came originally from either there, Rome or Campania in the 16th century. Do you have any sense of how the relationship works between the names...which descended from which ... and do you think we are related in traceable times? Check out my blogs...

http://cafarella-cincotta.blogspot.com
http://cincotta-cafarella.blogspot.com
http://cafarella-cincotta-cucinare.blogspot.com

You and any other readers may contact me outside this site at: anerio@yahoo.com
Bill Mitchell
lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lcafarel »

Hi, Bill. No, I don't have a sense of the relationship between the names or whether, indeed, the Cafarellis/as are related to the Caffarellis/as and how.

A few weeks ago, a fellow in Provence, France, wrote to me about his Cafarelli grandmother from Campomaggiore, and we've been corresponding since. He has pulled together all the historical information he could find on these family names into a little document. I don't think he's on this list and am going to email him your post.

My husband's Cafarellis and related families were in the Matera region of Basilicata (Ferrandina, Stigliano, Accettura) in the 18th and 19th centuries, and I suspect there are links to Potenza (Laurenzana, Campomaggiore, etc.) at some point, but haven't found them yet.

I recall coming across your blogspots some time ago and will revisit them. Thanks for your message!
anerio

Post by anerio »

Send a regular email address and I will send an email with the family tree as far as I have it....we are indeed all related and descended from a family called Cafa or Cafar...meaning the unbeliever.
gemellua
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gemellua »

My aunt was married to a gentlemen named Raymond Cafarelli. Uncle Ray was her 2nd husband. They did not have children together. Although my aunt had children by her 1st husband. I don't know if Ray was ever married before my aunt or after she her death.
My aunt Lena Randazzo Gatto (1900-1967), died in Port Chester, NY. They may have been living in the Port Chester/Rye. I think Ray may have moved to Florida, as I found SS info that may be him. The only other information I have is that his mom's first name was Annina, and she died in while living in the Bronx - 20 Sept 1958.

Born: 11 Mar 1904
Died: June 1976
Last Residence: 33167 Miami, FL
SS # issued in NY
lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lcafarel »

Thanks for your posting about Raymond Cafarelli. I'll keep it in mind.

Any idea where Raymond's family was from in Italy?
gemellua
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gemellua »

No. Unfortunately we were all kids when my aunt died. I came across his mom's name while looking through some family funeral cards.
lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lcafarel »

I took a quick look on Ancestry.com for possible records for Raymond and his mother. Annina is most likely a diminutive of Anna.

I found a 1930 census listing a Cafarelli/a family in the Bronx with parents Ralph and Anna and a son born in Italy and Raymond and some other children born in New York, Raymond in 1904. Raymond's occupation is given as plumber. I'd guess that Ralph is an Americanized version of Raphael. You can see if the dates and ages look right to you.

Here's the link: http://search.ancestry.com/iexec?htx=Vi ... d=30551393

There are other census records and passenger lists with an Anna and sometimes a Raphael or Raymond that COULD be your uncle's family, but they are sometimes in neighboring states (Mass., Rhode Island). You can check these out and follow the clues in them to identify the most likely suspects. If you can find the passenger list for the correct Anna, it may list the last residence before immigration. Naturalization records are another place to look, as well as military records if Raymond was born in Italy instead of the US. That's how I figured out where in Italy my husband's family immigrated from. Good luck!
gemellua
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gemellua »

Thank you lcafarel!
favaloro

Re: CAFARELLI/CAFARELLA Birth Records from Laurenzana, Potenza

Post by favaloro »

I'm researching Antonino Virgona and Maria Concetta Cafarella, they married June 28 1880 Malfa, they had a daughter Maria Giuseppa Born approx 1883. The daughter married Vincenzo Favaloro in Leni May 10 1902.
mmogno
Master
Master

Re: CAFARELLI/CAFARELLA Birth Records from Laurenzana, Potenza

Post by mmogno »

Marriage Antonino Virgona and Maria Concetta Cafarella
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cat=548154
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱