Giuseppe Li Calzi

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
trevisan2
Master
Master

Giuseppe Li Calzi

Post by trevisan2 »

I have a friend who's grandfather was a prisoner of war from Italy around the year of 1944. The Miltary transported him to a camp in Odgen, Utah.
My friend's grandmother was a nurse and got pregnant.

Giuseppe Li Calzi returned to Italy after the war ended, but the nurse's family kept the letters he wrote from her. They were discovered later.

Not much is known, except that Giuseppe Li Calzi came from the Palermo area of Italy, or at lease that is where the letters came from.

QUESTION: How could my friend find out about his grandfather? and the great grandparents and his italian ancestry?

Does the USA miltary keep records on these Italian prisoner that were war detainee's.

Any information would be appreciated.

Regards,
Trevisan2
Researching in the provincia di Treviso, Italy, Provaglio Sopra, Val Sabbia of Brescia.
Domege di Cadore, Cavalo, Fumane, Verona

Forno di Rivara, TO, Canischio, TO
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Giuseppe Li Calzi

Post by Tessa78 »

Maybe this site will help...

If he was a POW in Ogden, Utah on March 31, 1945, he may be in this roster... :-)

Italian Prisoners of War in the Continental US on 31 March 1945 is available on CD-ROM on six CDs. Each CD contains about 9000 names. The originals of these rosters are located on paper in National Archives II (College Park, MD) in RG 389, Entry 464A, Boxes 1505-1507 in six volumes. Each CD contains over 700 text and photo files including:
name
POW number
rank
arm of service (service code)
service command number
organization (POW camp code)
station
notes

Wouldn't hurt to call your regional NARA office and see if they are available to view for free...

http://www.gentracer.org/IPowRosterA.html

T.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

He could also try writing to a Li Calzi in Palermo and asking if they are related to Giuesppe Li Calzi use the italian phone book enter Li Calzi and Palermo
http://www.paginebianche.it/index.html
Form Letter
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... #relatives

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
trevisan2
Master
Master

Post by trevisan2 »

THANKS a Million.

I really like this link on writting a letter to get the Italian Military file on Giuseppe li Calzi.

http://www.gentracer.org/pow.html

Also, I will have my friend Ty look at the letters that arrived from Italy, and see if we can match up the address with the white pages in Italy. The home, may be still in the family.

Regards,
Trevisan2
Researching in the provincia di Treviso, Italy, Provaglio Sopra, Val Sabbia of Brescia.

trevisan2
Master
Master

Post by trevisan2 »

I asked my friend Ty Li Calzi for a return address in Palermo, Italy.

It is very simular to an address listed in the Italian white pages listed in one listed above by (adelifio)

Guisseppe LiCalzi - Viale Lazio, G3 901hh - Palermo - ( return address on letters)

Li Calzi Fulvio
90144 Palermo (PA) Viale Lazio, 63 ( address in Italian white pages)

Same Viale Lazio,

INTERESTING this would be the one to write to.
PERHAPS I will call the listing tomarrow for my friend.

Regards,
Trevisan2

trevisan2
Master
Master

Post by trevisan2 »

AMAZING!!!

After matching up addressess on the letters sent and the White pages, I placed a call to Fulvio Li Calzi in Palermo, Italy.
After a brief discussion about Giuseppe Li Calzi and that he had spent some time as a POW in Odgen, Utah, I was able to find out who the parents were of the late Giuseppe.

Fulvio asked, "what does this have to do with me"
At a certain point, I told Fulvio the story that began in 1946.

My suggestion to Fulvio, was to send him copies of the letters written by his father to his girlfriend, in Utah, perhaps a copy of the birth certificate and some pictures of his half brother.

I assured him, that the half brother living in Utah, just wants to know of his father's ancestry and not to pry into his life. He just wants to fill a void, or pain regarding his father.

What a happy day for a Joseph Li Calvi of Utah, that wants to know of his father's family, that he has never met, that all began in the POW camps of Odgen, Utah.
Regards,
Trevisan2

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Heartwarming!!! :-)

T.