1900 Census

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rancelli
Elite
Elite

1900 Census

Post by rancelli »

I was always told that my great grandparents had more children that may have died in a fire. From the 1900 census in column 11 it says number of children (9). Column 12 number of these children living (5). I wonder if my great grandparents got confused and added the lodger's or people living with them as children? There were 4 lodger's who was living with them at that time. Did the counties back in those day's always keep records of all fires or other tragic events? If this fire did happen, it would have been in the 1890's.

Here is the 1900 census
Line 17

http://postimage.org/image/2mdw0gvb8/
rancelli
Elite
Elite

Re: 1900 Census

Post by rancelli »

In the 1910 census the number of children born (6) matches the number of children living in that household (6) at the time. The only one who had moved out was Carmella. Again my question is, I wonder if she got confused in 1900 and added the lodger's as children.

The people who recorded this information, did some of them speak Italian if a family couldn't speak English?

Begins on line 64 for Luigi Butcher

http://postimage.org/image/jpvj3f8k/
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Sad to say, I would go with the fire story, or some other cause of death for four children.

The census indicates they were married 13 years and yet their eldest child is just seven years old? This is very unlikely; in these times when the only effective birth control was the "rythmm method" and even that was contrary to the teachings of the catholic church, children usually came along within a year or two of marriage or not at all (one or both spouses unable to have children).
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
rancelli
Elite
Elite

Post by rancelli »

thanks carmine :) i edited my post adding, if whether or not a family was provided an italian-english interpreter if they were unable to speak english