GRECO / MARCHIONEs from San Giuseppe, Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
NavySWO91

GRECO / MARCHIONEs from San Giuseppe, Sicily

Post by NavySWO91 »

I am researching Onofrio GRECO b. June 1879, married to Agata MARCHIONE b. abt 1885. Onofrio arrived in 1907 and his place of origin was listed as "S Giuseppe, Sicily". Agata arrived in 1911 with a place of origin also listed as "S Giuseppe, Sicily". By 1920 the family settled in St. Louis, MO.

Am I right in assuming that "S. Giuseppe" is likely 'San Giuseppe Jato'?

Onofrio listed a brother Giuseppe as his contact in the states. I have drawn the conclusion that a Giuseppe GRECO in St Louis, living very near Onofrio, is the brother. This means that the likely candidates for Onofrio's parents are Giachino GRECO and Rose CASABLANCA (based on Giuseppe's death certificate; Onofrio's listed father as 'James').

Also, Agata MARCHIONE arrived with her father Francesco MARCHIONE, followed a couple years later by her mother Concetta PROVENZANO. Agata had a brother Giuseppe and a sister Jennie. Francesco had a father listed as 'Sam' on his death certificate while Concetta's parents were listed as Giuseppe PROVENZANO and Giovannia CANCEME(sp.?).

If anyone has any information on these GRECO, CASABLANCA, MARCHIONE or PROVENZANO families or some pointers on where best to proceed, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
Jack