Vizzaccaro Etymology

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
vineviz
Rookie
Rookie

Vizzaccaro Etymology

Post by vineviz »

Since you folks (esp. suanj) solved the meaning of Scuzzarella so quickly, I thought I'd toss out my surname to see if anyone had any insight into its origins. None of the sources I've consulted (Italian place names, Italian dictionary, Fucilla's book, etc) have provided a compelling answer.

As far as I can tell, the ancestral home of almost everyone with my surname (Vizzaccaro) is the commune of Villa S. Lucia, currently in southern Lazio but historically in the northern part of Terra di Lavoro.

Anyway, thanks to anyone who can help.
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Vizzaccaro Etymology

Post by ptimber »

There are 7 references to Vizzaccaro in the www.familysearch.org website and appear to be fromFrosinone area with varying dates from 1800's on and about an equal number of same surnamed persons in the USA. It is most likely a local surname with Vizzi and Vizzini the base name from which all other variations including yours emanates. I am sure you know there are 182 references in the internet for the surname but it encompasses evrything int he world in which vizzaccaro plays a part. Have you written to Monticello, Italy where Vizzaccaro seem to be locarted historically.? Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Dear Sir I tyake exceprtion to you obvious slur upon my contribution to Scuzzarella because I referenced Local in origin rather than dialect as the word of choice which have the same meaning. Consequently I question your motives and will cherish the initial misconceptions I had about you. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Post script: I will try being nicer in the future if you'll try being smarter. Peter
vineviz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by vineviz »

ptimber wrote:Post script: I will try being nicer in the future if you'll try being smarter. Peter
Are you addressing me?
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Yes.Peter
vineviz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by vineviz »

ptimber wrote:Dear Sir I tyake exceprtion to you obvious slur upon my contribution to Scuzzarella because I referenced Local in origin rather than dialect as the word of choice which have the same meaning. Consequently I question your motives and will cherish the initial misconceptions I had about you. Peter
Peter,

First, I meant no slur against you or anyone else. My use of the plural in the orignal post ("you folks") clearly meant BOTH you AND suanJ since you were the only folks involved in the Scuzzarella question. I mentioned suanJ by name because he specifically identified "scuzzara" as a word in Sicilian dialect, a contribution that you yourself acknowledged ("Thanks suanj I figured that it was local in origin"). I meant no offense, and am sorry that any was taken.

Second, you are free to question my motives (which are pure, I assure you) and cherish whatever misconceptions you like but don't expect me to take it quietly when you do so in public.

Third, I appreciate the energy you expended in researching your first response to my post even if it wasn't very helpful in answering my question.

Fourth, if you think that spending ten minutes with Google and the LDS site will tell you something about my surname that I haven't figured out after several years of research then who, pray tell, is the smart one? Sometimes silence or a polite "sorry, I don't know" is the right answer.

Regards,

Vince
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Thanks for the explanation which is appreciated. I ask your pardon in not being able ito dsicern what you know or do not know about Genealogy so I gave you the references that immediately exist since you deigned not to mention what stage you were at. I too dislike re-inventing the wheel but you left me no choice. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

By the way, why did you inquire int he first place? you seemed to know where to go to look for sources and yet you never said a word... are you one of those trying to play the "can you help me game".?? Peter
vineviz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by vineviz »

ptimber wrote:By the way, why did you inquire int he first place? you seemed to know where to go to look for sources and yet you never said a word... are you one of those trying to play the "can you help me game".?? Peter
I suppose I am playing the "can you help me" game, but only because I've exhausted every other avenue I can think of.

I bought and read the book "Our Italian Surnames" by Fucilla but it doesn't directly address my surname. I have searched dictionaries, atlases, etc to no avail. But I am a native English speaker: my grasp of "text-book" Italian is rudimentary and my knowledge of idioms and dialects is non-existent.

I don't have the Fucilla book (which I think is excellent, by the way) with me now, but it does reference the Napolese words "zaccaro" and "zacchero" so I can imagine that as one possible root (although I am not aware of the addition of "viz" at the beginning of a noun as a modifier in Italian). I know there seperate Italian words for "vizza" and "caro" but putting them together doesn't make any sense to me. There is also a Basque surname "Vizcarro" so maybe the Vizzaccaros were transplanted to Italy from Spain.

In short, my research has given me many theories but no answers. I suppose I was hoping someone might have an insight that I hadn't seen elsewhere. Or maybe could suggest a resource to consult that I wasn't aware of. I didn't initially toss out my theories because I was hoping for a fresh approach. I don't think that is intellecutally dishonest, but I can understand why someone might be a little suspicious (especially if they were a bit paranoid:-).

For me, half the joy of genealogy is doing the work. I have spent many hours reading manifests and microfilms and I know the value of doing the research for yourself. Doing so, I have found many clues that would have gone unnoticed by someone working for me who was less invested in the result. So, I can understand your apparent frustration with people who seem unwilling to do the work for themselves. But not all of them are lazy or stupid, they just don't know where to start.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

New Yorkers suffer from positive paranoia with justiufiucation since you are an examnple of seeking "a fresh approach" at my expense. What you didn't count on was that people would take your feigned ignorance for what it was---feigned ingorance and start you off with Vizzacarro 101. Anyway alll is well that ends well. Why don't you go to the town where the surname is concentrated and write for any information that may be avialbel among the conoscenti there. By the way where do you riside? Peter
akeeshecheeza

Post by akeeshecheeza »

OK ENOUGH!!!!

I joined this site, to LEARN , continue RESEARCH, SHARE THOUGHTS WITH PEOPLE. ..NOW I frequently view the postings to - NOT learn, NOT research... but to see who Peter is going to INSULT next.

Peter leave the members alone... you answer way too many posts and my next step is to leave this forum. I have had it! :evil:
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Excuse me but who asked you to read and comment on the above. The inquirer in this posting and I enjoy no animosity..The only one here with a problem is you...whoever you are intruding herein. Peter
vineviz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by vineviz »

ptimber wrote:New Yorkers suffer from positive paranoia with justiufiucation since you are an examnple of seeking "a fresh approach" at my expense. What you didn't count on was that people would take your feigned ignorance for what it was---feigned ingorance and start you off with Vizzacarro 101. Anyway alll is well that ends well. Why don't you go to the town where the surname is concentrated and write for any information that may be avialbel among the conoscenti there. By the way where do you riside? Peter
I'm not sure I'd agree that I "feigned ignorance". I simply asked for comments. I'd probably understand your annoyance a little better if I had asked for general help on my family, but since I specifically asked for insights into the etymology of the name that's what I was expecting. But, as you say, all's well that ends well. Let's just call it a misunderstanding and move along.

I have been to the town (Villa S. Lucia) once. No one I asked knew the origin of the name but then again I'm not sure exactly how to tell the "conoscenti" from anyone else.

And, for whatever it's worth, I currently reside in Texas.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Good Man! Peter