Pulice or Poulicci, Lago, Cosenza, Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
brightpixie

Pulice or Poulicci, Lago, Cosenza, Italy

Post by brightpixie »

As I understand it, my grandfather's last name was Pulice. However, on a 1920 census his name is written August Poulicci. I know this is the right person because of others in the household. All I know about my grandfather was that his first name started with an "A." and his last name was Pulice. He was married to my grandmother Tomassina Bruni or Bruno. He had four very young children when he died. Have no idea when that was.

The census says he arrived here in 1910 from Italy. I don't know if he had siblings.

My grandmother had two brothers--Leonard and Raymond. One spelled there last name as Bruno and the other spelled it as Bruni. Don't know which one is correct.

Does anyone know if my grandfather's name was more likely Poulicci or Pulice? Don't know which name is more likely in Lago, Cosenza, Italy.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Pulice or Poulicci, Lago, Cosenza, Italy

Post by Tessa78 »

brightpixie wrote:As I understand it, my grandfather's last name was Pulice. However, on a 1920 census his name is written August Poulicci. I know this is the right person because of others in the household. All I know about my grandfather was that his first name started with an "A." and his last name was Pulice. He was married to my grandmother Tomassina Bruni or Bruno. He had four very young children when he died. Have no idea when that was.

The census says he arrived here in 1910 from Italy. I don't know if he had siblings.

My grandmother had two brothers--Leonard and Raymond. One spelled there last name as Bruno and the other spelled it as Bruni. Don't know which one is correct.

Does anyone know if my grandfather's name was more likely Poulicci or Pulice? Don't know which name is more likely in Lago, Cosenza, Italy.

Hi :-D

The surname "Poulicci" does not exist in Cosenza today. However, the surname "Pulice" is common. The misspelling on the Census record is probably due to the census-taker's inability to understand your grandfather's accent, and attempt to spell it phonetically.

Where in US did your grandfather settle? Were the children born in US or Italy? Did his marriage to Tomassina take place in Lago?

T.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

brightpixie wrote: Don't know which name is more likely in Lago, Cosenza, Italy.
Can you tell me where you found the reference to Lago, Cosenza?

There are some useful resources for Cosenza province, yet I am having difficulty locating any likely Pulice or Bruni/Bruno suspects. Makes me wonder if we should be looking elsewhere.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Hmmm... What do we make of this?

The address on this WWI Draft Registration in 1918 is right down the street from the 1920 address. Of course, the birth year is off; a relative perhaps?

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 about Angelo Gabriel Pulice
Name: Angelo Gabriel Pulice
County: Westmoreland
State: Pennsylvania
Birth Date: 19 Mar 1882
Race: White
FHL Roll Number: 1926980
DraftBoard: 3

Click to enlarge.

I can tell you how to get a (probably) much better copy of this document for $5 from the National Archives. Let me know if interested.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Carmine:
I know not if the WWI draft registration card that you found is of right person...
because by a genealogic tree on ancestry.com:

Angelo Pulice

-Birth Mar 19 1882 in Italy
-Death Jan 1967 in Pennsylvania, USA
-arrival: 1901 11 Feb Age: 18
-wife: Lena Pulice 1890 –

in effects the wife's name on
World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 about Angelo Gabriel Pulice
Name: Angelo Gabriel Pulice
County: Westmoreland
State: Pennsylvania
Birth Date: 19 Mar 1882
Race: White
FHL Roll Number: 1926980
DraftBoard: 3

seeming Lena and not Tommasina or Tommasa or Tomazy...
however because Tommasina arrived in 1917 and joining at Leonardo Bruni( right spelling) in New Kensington :

First Name: Tommasina
Last Name: Bruni
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian
Last Place of Residence: Lago, Italy
Date of Arrival: Feb 21, 1917
Age at Arrival: 20 Gender: F Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Patria
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0029

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipm ... 0191020462

she married around 1917/8, so also August Pulice WWI draft registration card must be in the database... but I cannot find it!
You are sure that also August was born in Lago? Or you think that he was born in Lago just because Tommasina also was born in Lago???

suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

POSSIBLE manifest for Tommasina's brother Leonard (Leonardo)?
Occupation - mason

Arriving NY 1916
Leaving wife in LAGO
Going to cousin Nicola Bruni in KENSINGTON, PA

Line 7
page 1

page 2

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Could this be a 1910 Census for August?

Living in Sharpsburg, Allegheny, PA as a boarder with the "Niro" family
Age 25
Single
Immigration date of 1905
Working as a laborer at "Rolling Mill"

T.
brightpixie

Post by brightpixie »

.>>Where in US did your grandfather settle? Were the children born in US or Italy? Did his marriage to Tomassina take place in Lago?<<

My grandparents lived in Westmoreland, Pa. My father was born in New Kensington, PA. He was the oldest of their four children. They later moved to New York. There is also a possibility that they lived or had family in Baltimore, Maryland.

Don't know whether they were married in Italy or not. I have a picture from their wedding and it looks like two Brides and Grooms. At least, both women are in long white dresses.

The census says my grandmother was born in Italy. My grandmother said she was born in Brazil and her parents died there and the children were sent to different family members. She and two brothers to Italy. Another brother to Argentina. This is what she told me before she passed in 1994. Yes, she lived a long life.

Thanks for the help! :)

Laine
brightpixie

Post by brightpixie »

>>Can you tell me where you found the reference to Lago, Cosenza?

There are some useful resources for Cosenza province, yet I am having difficulty locating any likely Pulice or Bruni/Bruno suspects. Makes me wonder if we should be looking elsewhere.<<

My grandmother's brother was Corrado Leonardo Bruni. The Ellis Island passenger record said his last residence was Lago, Italy.

Don't know where my grandparents married. My grandmother said she had four children rather quickly and then my grandfather died. Family never spoke about him.

I believe Angelo Pulice, who also lived in Westmoreland, PA., He wife was Lena. I only met them when I was very small. He may have been my grandfather's brother or cousin.

Thanks for the help!

Laine
brightpixie

Post by brightpixie »

THe manifest for Leonard Bruni looks right. I'm going to search that one out. THANKS a heap!

Laine
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Tessa78 wrote: Working as a laborer at "Rolling Mill"
A rolling mill is a place where steel (or other metals, but we are talking about Pennsylvania...) ingots are heated to high temperature and then passed between multiple sets of huge rollers until the metal is rolled into plate, sheet, or coil form.

Aluminum foil is produced this way, as are those really thick steel plates you sometimes see used as temporary covers over roadway ditches, just to name a few common applications.

The rolling mill was often part of a larger steel-making facility, although there were and still are independent rolling mills which buy basic steel/aluminum/copper/brass/etc ingots and produce custom rolled product to order.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_(metalworking)
Carmine

brightpixie

Post by brightpixie »

>>The address on this WWI Draft Registration in 1918 is right down the street from the 1920 address. Of course, the birth year is off; a relative perhaps?<<

Thanks. This is probably his brother or cousin. :)

Laine
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

brightpixie wrote:>>
My grandmother's brother was Corrado Leonardo Bruni.
Looking at the manifest posted earlier, I believe that Leonardo actually had the double surname, "Bruni Corrado".

Names like this are unusual, but we have seen them before. Both Bruni and Corrado are common surnames throughout Cosenza.

You may find this site helpful in your research: http://poster.beniculturali.it/poster/a ... on&lang=en. Create a free account, then try using the People search function.
Carmine

brightpixie

Post by brightpixie »

Thanks for all the help. Have discovered a marriage of Agostino Pulicichio to Tomasina Bruni on April 25, 1917, in Westmoreland, Pennsylvania.

So they were both born in Italy, but were married in the States.

So my grandfather's surname was Pulicichio. Now, I'm going to look for his death record in Pennsylvania. Then try to trace him back to Italy.

I learned from my Aunt that my grandfather had an uncle in the States by the name of Angelo Pulice. Believe Angelo came before my grandfather arrived and perhaps he was the first to change the surname.

Again, THANKS!!!!! I hope I can someday help here also.

Laine
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

surely they married in 1917, because Tommasina arrived in USA only in Feb 1917 and she was single when emigrated ( see my previous post abt the arrival:
First Name: Tommasina
Last Name: Bruni
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian
Last Place of Residence: Lago, Italy
Date of Arrival: Feb 21, 1917
Age at Arrival: 20 Gender: F Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Patria
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0029
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------