Cutillo and Viscuso from Caserta

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Sabrina722

Cutillo and Viscuso from Caserta

Post by Sabrina722 »

Hi. I'm researching the surnames of Cutillo and Viscuso from the Caserta area. Both of my great-grandparents and most of their siblings arrived via Ellis Island in the early 1900's and settled in the Phoenixville area of Pennsylvania. When some of them arrived they listed Cassolla as their place of residence before reaching USA. I would like to find out where Cassolla is. Others listed Avellino and others listed Caserta. Any info on these surnames or areas would be very greatly appreciated.
Deneen Cirafisi
vineviz
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Cutillo and Viscuso from Caserta

Post by vineviz »

Sabrina722 wrote:Hi. I'm researching the surnames of Cutillo and Viscuso from the Caserta area. Both of my great-grandparents and most of their siblings arrived via Ellis Island in the early 1900's and settled in the Phoenixville area of Pennsylvania. When some of them arrived they listed Cassolla as their place of residence before reaching USA. I would like to find out where Cassolla is. Others listed Avellino and others listed Caserta. Any info on these surnames or areas would be very greatly appreciated.
The "Locations in Italy" database on this site or Mapquest are great ways to find locations in Italy but, as you probably found, there is no Cassolla near Caserta or Avellino.

There is, however, a frazione of Caserta that is called "Casola" and is in this site's database. There is also apparently a comune in the Province of Caserta called "Casola di Caserta". It doesn't seem to be in Mapquest, but it has the CAP (Italian zip code) of 81020.

Also, don't overlook the possibility that the folks who said they came from Caserta may not have come from the TOWN of that name but rather the PROVINCE of that name and that they, too, resided in the the town of Avellino.

My suggestion would be to start with the civil records from Avellino (the LDS church has these on microfilm from 1809-1899) or Casolla (record exist from 1809-1929!) andsee if anyone in your family is NOT in those records. Only then would I start researching Caserta.

But that's just me. Good luck.