Three Part Military Records Question

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Gladius1

Three Part Military Records Question

Post by Gladius1 »

Where do I request military records for Falerna, Catanzaro, Calabria, Italy?
The birthdate my grandfathers gives on his immigration papers is not the same
birthdate recorded on his birthcertificate in Italy. Which date should I use when
requesting military records. Also,his birth papers in Italy record his name as
"Tomaso Folino Gallo " while he used the name Tommaso. Which name should I use?
As a side note, he also listed that he arrived on the ship Allesia but there is
no record of his ever arriving on that ship.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Three Part Military Records Question

Post by adelfio »

I would send what his on his birth record from Italy send a copy of the birth record with. Ask for Registro di leva from the state archives I would include 10 euro for costs
Archivio di Stato
Provincia di Catanzaro
Piazza Rosario 6
88100 Catanzaro (CZ)
Italy

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

The Registro di Leva is only the conscription (draft) record which would indicate whether he presented himself for possible conscription at age 20 as was required by law and the results of his preliminary examination/draft status.

Other documents worth asking for (explained here https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Italy_Military_Records) are:

Registro dei Fogli Matricolar
Foglio di Congedo Illimitato
Registro di Ruolo

Tommaso can often be found written with any combination of one or two m's and one or two s's. I believe Tommaso is correct, but can't say with certainty. The previous advice to use the name as it appears on the birth act is on target.

At which consulate will you eventually be applying? Some - notably New York City - are really cracking down recently on date discrepancies.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Gladius1 wrote:Where do I request military records for Falerna, Catanzaro, Calabria, Italy?
The birthdate my grandfathers gives on his immigration papers is not the same
birthdate recorded on his birthcertificate in Italy. Which date should I use when
requesting military records. Also,his birth papers in Italy record his name as
"Tomaso Folino Gallo " while he used the name Tommaso.
Which name should I use?
As a side note, he also listed that he arrived on the ship Allesia but there is
no record of his ever arriving on that ship.
For reference purposes :-)
Is this your GF's birth record from Falerna?

There are MANY "Tommaso Gallo" births listed in Falerna. From those that I've viewed (certainly a small percentage) all are spelled with 2 m's... Including this one :-)

Bottom left
Click once to enlarge and again to magnify

I would definitely do as Marty suggests and send a copy of the birth record... providing the names of his parents.

BTW - What year did tommaso state that he immigrated?

T.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Tessa78 wrote: BTW - What year did tommaso state that he immigrated?

T.

See http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/topic16548.html

It says 1895. Still looking...
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Carmine :-D

Thanks for that!

I'm noticing that many of the "Folino Gallo" passengers from Falerna, are listed as surname "Folino" on many of the manifests... You finding that as well?

T.
Gladius1

Post by Gladius1 »

adelfio wrote:I would send what his on his birth record from Italy send a copy of the birth record with. Ask for Registro di leva from the state archives I would include 10 euro for costs
Archivio di Stato
Provincia di Catanzaro
Piazza Rosario 6
88100 Catanzaro (CZ)
Italy
Marty
Everyone seems to be in concert with your suggestion regarding sending the name that is on the birth papers. Since posting, I checked my grandparents marriage documents and my grandfather is listed as "Tommaso" not Tomaso on the document.I guess the name is inter-changable. I will also be sure to send the 10 euro as you suggested.
Thanks, Ted
Gladius1

Post by Gladius1 »

johnnyonthespot wrote:The Registro di Leva is only the conscription (draft) record which would indicate whether he presented himself for possible conscription at age 20 as was required by law and the results of his preliminary examination/draft status.

Other documents worth asking for (explained here https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Italy_Military_Records) are:

Registro dei Fogli Matricolar
Foglio di Congedo Illimitato
Registro di Ruolo

Tommaso can often be found written with any combination of one or two m's and one or two s's. I believe Tommaso is correct, but can't say with certainty. The previous advice to use the name as it appears on the birth act is on target.

At which consulate will you eventually be applying? Some - notably New York City - are really cracking down recently on date discrepancies.
Well I see one letter is not going to get the job done if I want to get Service Records.
I did a quick check of the libraries and didn't recognize any of the names that would
cover the Province of Contanzaro. He was born in 1869 so I am sure that he must have presented him self for service at age 20. There was some discussion in the family that he was very politically active in Italy and if it was necessary for him to
come to the USA as a stow-a-way it may have had something to do with the military. We were never able to locate his name on the manifest of the ship Alesia for 1 Aug. 1895, the date he claimed he arrived in the USA.
I'm going to due some research and get the location of the library that will have information I need for Contanzaro.
Thanks for you help.
Gladius1

Post by Gladius1 »

johnnyonthespot wrote:

T.

Hi,and thanks

Tommaso Folino Gallo stated on his Declaration of Intention document that he arrived
in the Port of NY on the ship Alesia on or about 1 Aug. 1895. He listed his birth date as 7 March 1869. My aunt had an old family document from Italy that listed all the family birth dates, my grandfathers birth date was listed as 3 Jul, 1895. She claimed as a child they always celebrated his birthday on Mar. 7th. My grandmother was Angela Cunzolo.
My g-grandfather was Francescantonio F Gallo and my g-Grandother was Maria Rosa Pallone.
I have had no luck in finding my grandfather listed on any Alesia manifest arriving into the port of New York.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Here's a thought: there was also a ship named the Elysia which sailed the same routes and the same time period as the Alesia...
Carmine

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Gladius1 wrote:
johnnyonthespot wrote:

T.

Hi,and thanks

Tommaso Folino Gallo stated on his Declaration of Intention document that he arrived
in the Port of NY on the ship Alesia on or about 1 Aug. 1895.
He listed his birth date as 7 March 1869. My aunt had an old family document from Italy that listed all the family birth dates, my grandfathers birth date was listed as 3 Jul, 1895. She claimed as a child they always celebrated his birthday on Mar. 7th. My grandmother was Angela Cunzolo.
My g-grandfather was Francescantonio F Gallo and my g-Grandother was Maria Rosa Pallone.
I have had no luck in finding my grandfather listed on any Alesia manifest arriving into the port of New York.
When did Tommaso file his Declaration of Intent? If there was a considerable time lapse, you need to consider the accuracy of the statements. A good indication that the facts on the DOI were inaccurate would be no additional filing of naturalization paperwork (because they couldn't verify this arrival information)

A case in point... my GGM indicated on her Declaration of Intent that she arrived on the "Rubattino" on March 3, 1903.
In actuality, she arrived on the "Vincenzo Florio" (of the Rubattino Line) on March 15, 1905!
She was illiterate and didn't file the DOI until almost 60 years after her arrival!!! Can't fault her for not remembering :D :D

T.
Kinzigns

Vincenzo Florio March 15, 1905

Post by Kinzigns »

My ancestor stated on his Petition for Naturalization that he arrived on the Vincenzo Florio on March 15, 1905 but I can't find him on it. His name was Giuseppe Gargiulo...he would have been only 9 years old and I was hoping to find out who he came with...can anyone help me with this?
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to IG website I would post this as a new topic otherwise it will get confusing
Only one Giuseppe on the Vincenzo Florio born 1895 arriving 1905 that is Giuseppe Foti

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty