Help with reading manifest please!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
scannavino
Rookie
Rookie

Help with reading manifest please!

Post by scannavino »

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone can help "translate" this manifest from Ellis island...It is so sloppy. It seems like her father is Carmelo, but she's joining her husband, who I have no idea what it says...

Here is the link to Ellis Island

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0654%2ETIF
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Help with reading manifest please!

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi :-)

I agree that she is leaving her father Carmelo in Ragusa. Her destination on page one is North Tarrytown, NY

On page 2, she is going to her husband Giuseppe (can't read last name - ???ardi), at 82 Cortland St.

BTW - her first name looks like Salvatrice, the feminine version of Salvatore. :D

T.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Tessa78 wrote:Hi :-)

I agree that she is leaving her father Carmelo in Ragusa. Her destination on page one is North Tarrytown, NY

On page 2, she is going to her husband Giuseppe (can't read last name - ???ardi), at 82 Cortland St.

BTW - her first name looks like Salvatrice, the feminine version of Salvatore. :D

T.
Doesn't the 82 Cortland Street address belong to the person on line 23? Salvatrice Scannavino is on line 22...

Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

I have to say, I am not entirely certain about Carmelo, either. The "l" seems to be in the wrong place...

upload gif

Here is the complete manifest, rotated and trimmed a bit to make for easier reading:

Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

johnnyonthespot wrote:
Tessa78 wrote:Hi :-)

T.

Doesn't the 82 Cortland Street address belong to the person on line 23? Salvatrice Scannavino is on line 22...

Start at the top of the page and you'll see the first line is blank...
Each entry begins on the SECOND line of the destination and "spills" over onto the next line...

As for Carmine's concern about "Carmelo" - the first "l" is not an "l", but rather the first hill on the "m" with the "f" from "Golfo" above meeting it... The "l" appears after the "e" :-)

T.