Arena Family from Caropopeps/Valguarnera, Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
johngallegos44

Arena Family from Caropopeps/Valguarnera, Sicily

Post by johngallegos44 »

Good morning.

I am seeking information on he following members of the Arena Family from Caropepe Valguarnera, Sicily:

Francisco Arena (b. 1854) married Calciadona Triana. Francisco's son Vincenzo married Rosaura Marotta (1858-1954) (b. Ragusa).

Regards,

JHG
Paolo47
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Arena Family from Caropopeps/Valguarnera, Sicily

Post by Paolo47 »

Hello,
If you haven't seen this..http://tinyurl.com/6lalagn
You can rent the film containing the records you need from the Family History Center.

Paul
Researching Ruggiero, Caputo, Viola, Priore and many more at Our Family Genealogy.
egervasi

Post by egervasi »

Hi John:

Francesco Arena married Calcedonia Troina Nov 1878 in Valguarnera Caropepe.
Their son Vincenzo (a suphur miner) was born about 1851 and died in 1905. He married Rosaria Arena, b. Sept 12, 1858 on November 27, 1878.

They had four children: all born in Valguarnera Caropepe:

Annunciata ("Nunzia or "Nancy") Arena married Antonino Incardone. They had six children.

Maria Catena Arena b. 06 July 1895, d. 01 March 1988 in Rochester, New York, m. Luciano Ciulla (b. 5 Sept 1886, d. 18 Dec 1972) in 1913 in Rochester, New York. They had 5 sons.

Francesca Arena b. Abt. 1898 married Francesco Ciulla in 1922 in Rochester, New York. They had three children.

Salvatore Arena b. Abt. 1901 married Anna DeFranco. They had two children.

Our connection is through Rosaria's parents, Maria and Cosimo. Two Campanella sisters married two Marotta brothers.

Rosalia Campanella married (1) Liborio Marotta on 24 Oct 1860 and(2) Antonino Catalfo on 04 Sept 1872 in Raddusa.

Maria Campanella (b. Abt. 1834) married Cosimo Marotta (b. Abt. 1832 in San Cono, CT, Sicily))on 27 Sept 1852. Maria Catena was a cousin of Santo Catalfo who was my husband's grandfather.

Author Andrew J. Ciulla and I worked on this line for some time.

If you would like further info and can identify how you are related to this family, please send me your email address so that I can give you what I have.

Best Regards,

Elaine Gervasi
johngallegos44

Post by johngallegos44 »

Good morning Elaine.

Thank you for making the connection.

My wife is the granddaughter of Nunzia Arena and Antonino Incardona.

I have been working with my wife's first cousin Professor Nino Incardona, but it has been slow going.

I would like you to contact me at jhgallegos@msn.com in order to collaborate on further research. I knew Andy Ciulla and his family when we lived in Phoenix, AZ.

I now have the Ancestry International edition, but since I do not read Italian well, it has been slow going.

I have been scanning the Italian civilian records for various municipalities for some time now, but some of the Incardona family information does not appear to match up with what you have just provided to me.

I would love to collaborate with you in researching the family connections in Sicily deeper.

Regards,

John H. Gallegos
Beaumont, CA
egervasi

Post by egervasi »

John,

It has been some time since I checked this site. You can contact me at egervasi@verizon.net directly if I can be of further help.
Elaine
Siena

Post by Siena »

I was reading your post from some time ago and wanted to reply with a little info- don't know if it's helpful.
Most of our family resides in Arizona, after moving from Rochester (NY), after coming over from Valguarnera (parents & grandparents born in Valguarnera). We still have family living in Caropepe (Alessi). Our family last name is Tomaselli, and one of my mother's cousins is Carmelo Arena (from Valguarnera, moved to Rochester, and now living in Phoenix), whose mother is Alfonsina Arena (my grandfather's sister). Alfonsina is 99 years old and living in Ontario, Canada.

Good Luck in tracing your family's roots!
Siena
janetfassaro

Post by janetfassaro »

My grandmother was born in 1888 in Valguarnera, her name was Carmela Arena; she died in 1967. She married _______ Fassaro and their children were Ida, Andrew, Frances, Benjamin, Lawrence, Vincent (died in infancy.) My father's cousins included the Cuilla's, Vincent who died May 2013, and his family. Frances Cuilla was my dad's cousin; she had a parakeet whose name was Perry Como. Agatina spent a lot of time with Frances--I was little so I didn't know they were mother and daughter. Please write to me any time about the family, waasdorps@aol.com